Starting lineup next year( who’s back?)

OkieTC

Reaction score
What’s your best guess for next years squad, and do any seniors come back?
My guess...
Pg Harmon
Sg Harkless
Sf Hill
Pf Maybe a transfer?
Pf/C Issanza?

Will Issanza be a player at all in the rotation? Does Gibson end up a starter and we play small ball? Do either freshman play their way into many minutes?

Just curious what those of you with more insight into the program think?

Harmon
Harkness
The 6’3 FR... kc noland

After that no clue

Honestly if Hill is a starter I’ll be surprised... same with Vic. We have absolutely no one for the post. Seriously think about our “subs”... and how many minutes they get now. It’s really going to be a CF next yr

Last edited:
Harmon
Williams (I think he takes advantage of the free year)
Harkless
Jalen Hill
Tansfer Big

Mo first guard off the bench
Sub Jalen for Brady if he too decides to take advantage of the free year

Without transfers we will be in a battle for last place next season. It wouldn't surprise me to see Lon retire after this year. He has to think retiring / living in Las Vegas will be a better option than what they will put on the floor without an impact transfer (or two).

If we don’t get a talented transfer post player, it will be a difficult season. It may be anyway. Really hope Vic takes the next step like everyone says he will.

Relying on the transfer market and late signing period to even field a team is not a place you want to be. Yet, here we are.

Without transfers we will be in a battle for last place next season. It wouldn't surprise me to see Lon retire after this year. He has to think retiring / living in Las Vegas will be a better option than what they will put on the floor without an impact transfer (or two).

That is an accurate assessment. And a very disappointing one. For a coach that is supposedly as good as Lon. And after being here as long as he has.

Vic has athleticism but lacks size needed. So, you then rely on basketball skills. In my opinion he has too far to go in that area to be a big help next year once conference play starts.

We are going to be hurting as a team unless we get either a decent big transfer or a really good offensive guard transfer. Otherwise, too much load on Harmon’s shoulders to create offense in the LK scheme. Plus decent bigs are going to really hurt us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relying on the transfer market and late signing period to even field a team is not a place you want to be. Yet, here we are.

Relying on the transfer market is what Baylor does this year and what hoiberg did all those years at Iowa st. And it’s funny seeing you sh*t on transfers when all you do is talk about Juco‘s who are transfers

Last edited:
I’m betting at least one transfer is in the lineup. No idea who it may be though.

I don’t know if any of the seniors will return next year. Austin has been in college 5 years. He may think that is enough. Brady certainly doesn’t appear to be having fun. He might try playing somewhere else. Alondes probably thinks he needs more minutes to stick around. These are all guesses by me.

transfer market more exact than 17/18 year kids. Youre off base here. way off.

I’m betting at least one transfer is in the lineup. No idea who it may be though.

I don’t know if any of the seniors will return next year. Austin has been in college 5 years. He may think that is enough. Brady certainly doesn’t appear to be having fun. He might try playing somewhere else. Alondes probably thinks he needs more minutes to stick around. These are all guesses by me.

All good guesses, IMO, Vbdad!

I’m not concerned about our guards and wings. Even if Austin or Alondes don’t come back, which is not likely, I think we’ll be fine. If we don’t get a good transfer big (preferably two), we may be in trouble. Wish I could be more optimistic.

I’ll SWAG

PG Harmon
SG Gipson
SG Harkless
F Hill
F Iwuakor
(Unless a transfer big comes in)

At least one or two of these guys will step up next year as well:
Garang
Issanza
O’Garro
Phipps

Redshirt candidates:
Cortez (I’m much higher on this kid than his ranking suggest)
Noland

Last edited:
I’ll SWAG

PG Harmon
SG Gipson
SG Harkless
F Hill
F Iwuakor
(Unless a transfer big comes in)

At least one or two of these guys will step up next year as well
Garang
Issanza
O’Garro
Phipps
Redshirt candidates
Cortez (I’m much higher in this kid than his ranking suggest)
Noland

If that is our roster next year, we're going to be bottom half of the Big 12 again.

Hill and Iwuakor starting? <shudder>

THIS is an example of my biggest complain with Lon. I don't have a ton of issues with THIS year's team. But then we drop down to this projected roster/team next year. Maybe Lon saves the day with another transfer or two. Maybe somebody comes back (I actually think it's likely at least ONE player does return). But the above roster is not a competitive roster in the Big 12.

Our post will be a huge let down.

Vic - “athletic” but very low basketball skills
Hill - maybe not as athletic but is a scrapper... not much game time experience
The other two... they got maybe 10 min ALL SEASON between them..? There going to be our starters ? Ummm ok.

Our guards
Harmon
Harkness
Gibson
Phipps
*2 FR recruits
Cortes
Noland

Last edited:
So many functional guards but if it is mostly a 4 guard lineup, that 5 man needs to be way better than functional. If not, we don't sniff an upper half finish.
Harmon
Gipson
Harkless
Iwuakor
Transfer

He may play the 4 but Hill is a guard. Hopefully Rick I. can earn some regular time. I think one of the guards will show the ball skills and decision making to be the point guard but remember how often the offense would go flat when Reaves sat, so nothing certain there.

Our post will be a huge let down.

Vic - “athletic” but very low basketball skills
Hill - maybe not as athletic but is a scrapper... not much game time experience
The other two... they got maybe 10 min ALL SEASON between them..? There going to be our starters ? Ummm ok.

Our guards
Harmon
Harkness
Gibson
Phipps
*2 FR recruits
Cortez
Noland

Spot on analysis, KC! I like our returning guards and wings, and I’m high on our two freshmen recruits. That’s where my confidence level goes south in a hurry.

I really like Hill and Vic, but they’re both tweeners who will struggle to score and defend against bigger stronger players on every team OU will face next season. Seems like years we’ve been hearing about a 6’ 9” guy who can knock down threes, and a 7 footer who is just waiting to get his chance. If Anyang and “Big Rick” aren’t ready to play when the season tips off, Lon better pull a rabbit out of his hat in the form of a couple of transfer bigs who can plug the holes in our 2020 recruiting class, or it’s going to be a long season.

Lon seems to always struggle to get bigs. I think a lot of that is simply his penchant for recruiting athletic projects with little skills. Our successes have come from strong undersized (height wise) but tough type players with good inside skills like Spangler and Doolittle. Why he doesn't recruit more players like that I will never understand. I'd hoped that Hill or Vic would be that kind of player but so far neither has shown it.

Back