Tech game on Wednesday going to be tough!

usedtobe1

Administrator
Reaction score
Forget the Kansas game. OU better be ready to play Wednesday in Lubbock and not be looking ahead to West Virginia on Saturday. TT has beaten Iowa State and then murdered Baylor in Waco in their last 2 games. They're actually considered a bubble team for the NCAA tournament and have a lot of momentum. A win over the Sooners would go a long ways towards stamping their ticket.

After beating two top 25 teams in one week, their fans will be fired up for the Sooners on Wednesday. From ESPN:

Texas Tech had been ever so close to getting a momentum-building win over a ranked team. In its first meeting with Baylor, the Red Raiders outplayed the Bears in the second half, only to watch Lester Medford make his only 3-pointer in the game at the buzzer in a 63-60 loss. Tech led West Virginia by four with 1:10 left, only to allow a 10-2 run to close the door in an 80-76 loss.

Tubby Smith and the Red Raiders finally got their breakthrough this week. After hanging on to beat No. 14 Iowa State 85-82 in overtime on Wednesday, they toppled No. 21 Baylor 84-66 on the road Saturday to avoid being swept in their series for the sixth time in the past nine seasons.

The last time the Red Raiders won consecutive games against Top 25 teams was back in the 2006-07 season, when they beat No. 5 Kansas and No. 6 Texas A&M.

“We’ve been playing well against teams all year long, we finally found a way to win,” Smith told ESPN after Saturday’s game. “... It’s amazing what can happen when you believe and trust in each other.”

It’s amazing that Smith kept the team believing after it dropped seven of eight games last month and had fallen to 2-6 in the Big 12. Now at 5-7 in the Big 12, Texas Tech can believe it has a chance to earn its way into the NCAA tournament. Both Texas and Oklahoma State earned bids last season with 8-10 records in the Big 12. Not even a .500 league record would guarantee a bid, but the Red Raiders are positioned to at least have hope. And that's more than could be said a month ago.

I would think a win over our Sooners would just about guarantee Tech an invite to the tourney – unless they completely fall apart down the stretch in the Big 12.

Having said that, I see no way OU will overlook the Red Raiders on Wednesday. The Sooners will be aching to get the bad taste out of their mouths from Saturday's loss.

If my memory isn't playing tricks on me, I saw a thread the other day in which a TTech link was referenced - - apparently, the game will be streamed by them (TTech)?
My cable company does not cover anything other than ESPN & ESPN2, no ESPNU or ESPN3, etc... so if someone would provide that link again in this thread, it would be much appreciated, thanks...

EDIT

Welp, I have to admit that my memory WAS playing tricks on me. The OU game being streamed tonight is unfortunately not going to be the men's game, (which I'd LOVE to watch), but instead witll be the women's basketball game at W Virginia. It will be, per a post on the women's OUHoops board, streamed free on wvusports.com.

If I can find some way to watch the men's game, I think I'd prefer that. Otherwise, I guess that I'll be tuned in to the ladies.

Just thought that I'd clear that up...

Last edited:
Tubby is a good coach, they are a tough team...it'll be interesting to see how they finish.

Back