Transfer Portal Thread

Probably more had to do with Mo Gibson being 24 to 25 years old. I understand he may just want to move on from college. I think he may already have a masters degree. However NIL may change that.

No. It’s directly tied to recent commit.

No. It’s directly tied to recent commit.

Even if Sherfield comes to OU, he may not get to play this season, and won't he have two years of eligibility? Mo really expected Moser to pass up such a player?

This is just a brutal time to be a college sports fan. I don't think it'll always be this bad, but until things settle down, it just plain sucks.

Even if Sherfield comes to OU, he may not get to play this season, and won't he have two years of eligibility? Mo really expected Moser to pass up such a player?

This is just a brutal time to be a college sports fan. I don't think it'll always be this bad, but until things settle down, it just plain sucks.

My thing Is they don’t play the same position, so he shouldn’t be upset, unless the experiment with the Duke transfer left a bad taste in his mouth.

Good point

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1519442796737871884[/TWEET]

Aside from the money, it is a brutal time to be a coach.

Mo had visions of playing some point. That is gone with Sherfield.

Another thing to consider is that Mo has to enter the portal before the deadline. He may very well end up coming back to ou.

Mo had visions of playing some point. That is gone with Sherfield.

I know it might be an unpopular opinion, but I was scared to death of what our offense would look like against pressure, if he was going to be our starting PG....

I know it might be an unpopular opinion, but I was scared to death of what our offense would look like against pressure, if he was going to be our starting PG....

Yep, I am with you. I get why he wants to be the PG and run the offense as it is his only chance at the next level. And he may have been able to do that at UNT, but I am not sure he could in the premier conference, especially defensively, in college basketball.

I love Mo and he has a great shot. He has an almost elite stepback and such a quick release. But the reason he struggled at times with that shot is that he cannot use the dribble to create space, and doesn't really play well off the high screens. And with his size and release point, he needs space to get the shot off. He never seemed to be able to find that on the perimeter after putting the ball on the floor.

I wish Mo was coming back as a SG. But I'm not sure someone that cannot consistently beat pressure defense and use screens effectively on the perimeter is who you want to be your starting PG.

I realize I'm getting old, but this portal stuff is starting to feel like I'm playing one of the video games the kids I counsel play, lol.... I would be TOTALLY lost without Coach and NAIA......

That makes two of us, Jmizzy! I used to enjoy following the players OU was recruiting, reading everything I could find and watching their highlight videos , etc.

This thread is a one stop visit for me now. Guess I’m too old and tired to even care anymore. The transfer portal and NIL money has ruined the fun I used to have trying to figure out who OU was going to sign!

If we have indeed traded Gibson for sherfield, i will miss Gibson because he’s so much fun to watch, but Sherfield is an upgrade. Better size, ball handling, and athleticism. Not quite the shooter, but he has a better overall scoring package and can set the table for his teammates at an elite level.

Sherfield and Bamisile give you a potential tandem of guards that could make an all conference team, and I think Hill is going to make that leap too. Need another shooter and an athletic post.

If we have indeed traded Gibson for sherfield, i will miss Gibson because he’s so much fun to watch, but Sherfield is an upgrade. Better size, ball handling, and athleticism. Not quite the shooter, but he has a better overall scoring package and can set the table for his teammates at an elite level.

Sherfield and Bamisile give you a potential tandem of guards that could make an all conference team, and I think Hill is going to make that leap too. Need another shooter and an athletic post.

Yep, this is where I am too. I loved watching Mo, but let's face it, our roster needed upgraded and we needed to make moves big time. Even if we are losing experienced players in EJ and Mo, let's not forget they were starting guards on teams that went 16-11 and 19-16.

We HAVE to get better, especially on the perimeter. We need better scorers, guys that can beat their man off the dribble, find the open man, hit the open shot consistently, and beat pressure defense. We did not have that consistently the last two years. Three Pt FG % and TOs have been a big problem.

If bringing in 2-3 guys that give us a chance to do that, even if it means losing someone, Moser has to make those moves.

Not many college coaches think waivers will be denied.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/endless_motor/status/1519471893299965952[/TWEET]

I can't say I knew about this but I did notice he & Sherfield followed each other on IG yesterday. There was really no way for me to arrive at the Marble + OU visit news. Makes sense to why they connected now, though.

Grant also followed Jacob Groves today (he's already been following Custer, Seacat, Goldwire, and Tanner for a couple of days).

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/i/status/1516899517911601152[/TWEET]

Last edited:

I hate the transfer portal for the fans and the coaches, but I don't begrudge the players for trying to improve their situation..that's a crapshoot, but it's a risk they take.

Sherfield would end up at his fifth school in six years. North Crowley > Sunrise Christian > Wichita State > Nevada > OU. There was also a commitment to UCLA out of high school, before a coaching change.

Welcome to modern college athletics.

Back