Warning: This is a football post

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
Don't worry, I'll be happy to move this thread to the smack talk forum in a day or two. But what true freshman running back, Samaje Perine, accomplished in yesterday's game was so amazing, I think it deserves at least a mention on this board.

By all accounts he is a fine young man. His demeanor on and off of the field should be a source of pride for all OU fans. He doesn't show off to draw attention to himself when he scores a touchdown. He hands the ball to an official and then joins his teammates on the sideline. There is never any fanfare, pointing to the crowd or anything to say "look at me," except for an occasional chest bump or two, most of them initiated by his teammates.

In a day when far too many professional and college football players are doing all of the wrong things, it seems, it's nice to be able to point to a kid like Samaje who is obviously doing things the right way. The announcers also said yesterday he is a straight "A" student.

In case you haven't heard, he not only broke AD's rushing record as a freshman, as well as the Big 12 single game rushing record, he broke the national FBS record with 427 yards and 5 touchdowns. That record, which had stood for well over a decade, was broken last week by Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon who rushed for 408 yards. Who could have guessed that it would be broken again a week later by a true freshman running back from Oklahoma?

Be sure to watch Samaje's postgame interview in the link below. He is a special young man!

http://espn.go.com/college-football...sooners-breaks-fbs-single-game-rushing-record

Don't worry, I'll be happy to move this thread to the smack talk forum in a day or two. But what true freshman running back, Samaje Perine, accomplished in yesterday's game was so amazing, I think it deserves at least a mention on this board.

By all accounts he is a fine young man. His demeanor on and off of the field should be a source of pride for all OU fans. He doesn't show off to draw attention to himself when he scores a touchdown. He hands the ball to an official and then joins his teammates on the sideline. There is never any fanfare, pointing to the crowd or anything to say "look at me," except for an occasional chest bump or two, most of them initiated by his teammates.

In a day when far too many professional and college football players are doing all of the wrong things, it seems, it's nice to be able to point to a kid like Samaje who is obviously doing things the right way. The announcers also said yesterday he is a straight "A" student.

In case you haven't heard, he not only broke AD's rushing record as a freshman, as well as the Big 12 single game rushing record, he broke the national FBS record with 427 yards and 5 touchdowns. That record, which had stood for well over a decade, was broken last week by Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon who rushed for 408 yards. Who could have guessed that it would be broken again a week later by a true freshman running back from Oklahoma?

Be sure to watch Samaje's postgame interview in the link below. He is a special young man!

http://espn.go.com/college-football...sooners-breaks-fbs-single-game-rushing-record

And kudos to the fans who stayed through the rain soaked game to watch history being made!

Great post!

I really like him. He's modest and seems to be about the team. I hope that equates to personal success throughout his life.

I live in Austin. My UPS driver lives in Pflugerville and is an OU fan. We spoke of Samje last spring many times. His daughter was in his class and said he was a very kind and humble young man.

Had a friend who ran into Samaje at the Garage after the game. Said he was very nice, gracious and even talkative. My buddy was very impressed.

Back