32-31 (guess what that is)

hoopsaustin

Reaction score
Porter's career record over 2 years at OU is now 32-31. Thats right, PM has won exactly 1 game more than hes lost..

We will likely lose out this year which will put PM at 32-35 = 0.477 career win percentage at OU..

The only worse job that PM did in his entire career was at Illinois State where he boasts a 0.432 career record over 4 years https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/porter-moser-1.html

Also, out of the 14 basketball coaches at OU all time, PM is 12th out of 14 in winning percentage. He is only beating out Doyle Parrack and Bob Stevens. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/oklahoma/men/coaches.html

After next year, I imagine that PM will have another losing record and will likely best his career low winning percentage at IS (his updated career record, assuming a losing out season this year, would project PM to win 18.89 games next year in a 35 game season - so 18.89-16.11 record). Unless PM pulls an absolute golden rabbit out of a hat, we are completely screwed for 2024 too.

PM is at best a 19-16 coach in ANY league. Coincidentally that was also the same record as PM's 1st season here.

He was a really sexy hire at the time bc of the magical (i.e., fluke) final 4 at Loyola. I honestly think it was still worth the gamble. But he's proven himself to be a bum imo. Fool's gold. Good news is Little Rock is likely nearing firing their coach and that was where PM has his best winning percentage..

Cant wait for 2025 buds :woot

Last edited:
It is going to be an important offseason for Coach Moser. I have a higher opinion of him as a bench coach than most, but I don't think even Bill Self would get more than 5-6 conference wins from this roster. Moser needs some major hits in the portal (no more misses like Joe B). Otherwise, 2023-2024 will be like Capel's 2010-2011 team. That one was bad on paper and we knew it was going to be his last team.

Exactly….

Even at LM he had 6/10 seasons barely over .500, 2 seasons at 21/14 ish, 2 better than that…

His career is .546 or something like that

It is going to be an important offseason for Coach Moser. I have a higher opinion of him as a bench coach than most, but I don't think even Bill Self would get more than 5-6 conference wins from this roster. Moser needs some major hits in the portal (no more misses like Joe B). Otherwise, 2023-2024 will be like Capel's 2010-2011 team. That one was bad on paper and we knew it was going to be his last team.

Kruger took a team with Calixte and Reynolds at guard to the tournament, but you don’t think Self would have figured out a way not to blow late leads all season with this team? A lot of people seem to seriously undervalue Self as a coach. Kelvin also won a Big 12 tournament with Heskett and an injured Kelly Newton in the backcourt. Our roster isn’t good compared to our conference opponents, but good coaches can, and do, repeatedly make up big talent gaps. Our coach actually makes us even worse than our talent suggests.

Porter was never a quick fix guy. If you thought he was, you hadn't paid attention to his career. Doesn't mean it's a bad hire.

Porter was never a quick fix guy. If you thought he was, you hadn't paid attention to his career. Doesn't mean it's a bad hire.

He also isn’t a slow fix guy, judging by his track record. And he didn’t have much to fix, anyway. Status quo would have been acceptable, though less than ideal. And with just minor improvements, we would have been in the top half of the best conference in history.

He did get that culture wall constructed quickly.

Exactly….

Even at LM he had 6/10 seasons barely over .500, 2 seasons at 21/14 ish, 2 better than that…

His career is .546 or something like that

Even worse if you look at his conference records, which I find more telling then the OOC games.

Guy got lucky with Loyola once or twice and people thought he finally figured out how to coach after some 20 years. Nah.

I just think that's crazy. But let me ask, so you think he has some high ceiling or what?

The problem is he isn't fixing anything. He was supposed to take OU to the next level. The team is worse than last year. He's regressed :mad:

he is recruiting at the high school level better then anyone at OU in over a decade ..

That is the only bright side I see to him at the moment. BUT, that argument falls apart the second any of the freshman this year transfer or there is even one decommitt. Which, I believe one of the two things happening is extremely likely.

Nobody was expecting him to get to the Final Four. But how about not screwing up in-game strategy repeatedly which probably resulted in at least 3-4 losses this year?

Prime example last night: having to call a timeout late to get Grant and Tanner back in the game. They should not have been out to start with. When they were out TT went on a run and at that point the game was virtually over.

I totally understand rebuilding. It has to happen from time-to-time. But things like that are inexcusable to me. He's an experienced coach.

he is recruiting at the high school level better then anyone at OU in over a decade ..

While that is true, what has he really done with Uzan and Oweh this year? But you have identified our only hope. Which is that next year's freshman are studs. But when you are counting on freshman, you're normallyb in trouble. Also, we still have no big men. This is the last shot for PM

On paper, stars-wise, i think hes correct.

My point was, it's TWO classes, one not even on campus yet, compared to one prior coach who was never known as a big time recruiter.

A little research shows that on paper the 2016 and 2017 OU classes are probably better than the 2022 and 2023 classes. Not by much, but they are. Edit: If you look at 247.

Last edited:
He also isn’t a slow fix guy

I guess you're completely unaware of his history, including Loyola?

And he didn’t have much to fix, anyway. Status quo would have been acceptable, though less than ideal. And with just minor improvements, we would have been in the top half of the best conference in history.

With minor adjustments we would have been a top half of conference team? If COVID had hit a few days sooner, or Austin Reaves didn't have an all-time legendary performance in the regular season finale, Lon wouldn't have finished in the top half of conference five years in a row. Didn't OU have the worst conference record over that five-year stretch? Perhaps we were 8th or 9th. The cupboard was as bare as it gets when Porter took over.

My point was, it's TWO classes, one not even on campus yet, compared to one prior coach who was never known as a big time recruiter.

A little research shows that on paper the 2016 and 2017 OU classes are probably better than the 2022 and 2023 classes. Not by much, but they are. Edit: If you look at 247.

Im a rivals guy. I think ive heard that espn is honestly prolly the best basketball recruiting rankers these days, idk.

I think Lon actually recruited way better then i expected for not really being known for it. My only problem with him was the trailing off at the end. I think he should have hung it up a year or 2 earlier

Last edited:
After looking at the coaches at ou, my main standard is winnint 60% of your games. Lon barely eked in at 0.604 at the end, but he did it. Obviously punching a final 4 and getting a star drafted like Buddy is extra praise. But i think thats basically my standard now fwiw

Those classes are better on paper cause of the number of recruits signed. The top of the 2022/2023 class is better. OU hasn't signed 4 top 100 kids in a 2 year span since Capel. And on 247's all time recruit rankings for OU (which tracks back to 03-04) Uzan, Oweh, Cooper, and Cole are all in the top 20.

Back