Which Big 12 Coach

SoonerNorm

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is on the hottest seat? Not necessarily who you think is the worst coach but which one is in trouble if things don't improve quickly.

We know it's not:

Jeff Capel
Bill Self
Rick Barnes
Scott Drew

Those in the discussion:

Mike Anderson
Jeff Bzdelik
Mark Turgeon
Travis Ford
Pat Knight
Doc Sadler
Greg McDermott
Frank Martin

Is on the hottest seat? Not necessarily who you think is the worst coach but which one is in trouble if things don't improve quickly.

We know it's not:

Jeff Capel
Bill Self
Rick Barnes
Scott Drew

Those in the discussion:

Mike Anderson
Jeff Bzdelik
Mark Turgeon
Travis Ford
Pat Knight
Doc Sadler
Greg McDermott
Frank Martin

I would say its probably 1. Pat Knight 2. Greg McDermott 3. Doc Sadler

Doc isn't in much danger right now, but I have a feeling that losing 4 starters and not bringing in comparable talent to the rest of the conference is going to get his seat extra toasty this year.

mike anderson just signed a big new contract so its not him, Ford certainly not after there finish.

Mcdermott would be my choice, followed by pat knight

mike anderson just signed a big new contract so its not him, Ford certainly not after there finish.

Mcdermott would be my choice, followed by pat knight

There is little doubt that landing Harrison Barnes (his mom works for ISU and they are from Ames) may be what is needed to save Greg's job. Tall order imo.

McDermott and Knight. I think Sadler has a couple more years at least unless the wheels just fall off and you get a 2 win season or something in conference. Didn't they make the NIT? That's not bad with a team with no height at all.

mcdermott has a ridiculous contract. thru 2015 with a scary buyout, iirc. plus the isu ad loves him. he isn't on a hot seat yet.

there really aren't any in emminant danger.

drew definitely belongs in the 2nd group, btw. he's in a riskier position than an several listed below him.

I also don't really think Ford is in the hot seat. Getting to the tournament and getting to the second round was a big step. It was a rough start, but it was also year one. They'll let him get the players for his system. Winning cures a lot of things, including tolerance for a foul-mouth.

To me, 1)Knight then 2)McDermott. Although, how bad does Tech have to be to boot him? I think if they get to the NIT and is half way competitive in conference, he stays.

To me, 1)Knight then 2)McDermott. Although, how bad does Tech have to be to boot him? I think if they get to the NIT and is half way competitive in conference, he stays.

The thing that has to worry the Tech AD is the huge drop off in attendance that Tech faced last year (think Capel's first year but in an even larger arena). It was bad.

Pat Knight is the only coach on the hot seat right now...

-Doc may have a rough year with a whole new roster, but he is too popular and good of a coach to let go.
-Bzdelik has CU going in the right direction. He has a very impressive NBA and college resume, and there is no way CU could find a better coach. They are lucky to have a guy like Bzdelik, and even more lucky that he loves Colorado (the state).
-Scott Drew had a great finish, otherwise he would be on the hot seat a little bit. Even though I think he gets a pass because he brought the program back from shambles.
-Greg Mcdermott will be off the hot seat after they improve quite a bit this year. If they suck again he could be getting on the hot seat.

Nobody else is even in the discussion.

The thing that has to worry the Tech AD is the huge drop off in attendance that Tech faced last year (think Capel's first year but in an even larger arena). It was bad.

Very true. They've been on a steady downslide (attendance wise) since the General's first few seasons. They have one of the nicest arenas in the conference, and I recall a few TV games last season where it is up for debate whether the lower level was half full...

i would think it's only Pat Knight, he may get the axe before the season ends if there isnt some considerable improvement.

they werent in competitive in way too many games last year, then again their AD has shown to be a complete moron. so who knows...

Pat Knight would be the closest, but a move on him would get alot of national media pushback. Also if you look at the probable successor of Pat Knight and how he is flaming out since he lost his job by partying everynight in Lexington, that makes it even tougher.

Back