2022 recruiting rankings

Who runs out of eligibility after this season? Will we not need a big guy badly? I hope Moser is pursuing a good center!

Who runs out of eligibility after this season? Will we not need a big guy badly? I hope Moser is pursuing a good center!

Marvin Johnson
Jordan goldwire
Ethan Chargois

OU signed 3 guys .... so currently they have no room for next season ..

There will always be open spots. :) I’m not expecting us to be the first time in recent history to not have someone transfer out.

I was trying to think of the last time we did not have some type of attrition besides running out of eligibility. I could be wrong here, but I believe we had no attrition following the Final Four year in 2002. I'm pretty sure every scholarship player with eligibility returned, and I can't think of a year since then when we had that good fortune. And with the transfer portal the way it is, we may never again have an offseason like 2002.

I think it's safe for Coach Moser to continue recruiting for 2022-2023 :).

Not to sound corny but I always hate to talk about processing guys. They chose to be Sooners. But man, Moser needs some schollies..

Not to sound corny but I always hate to talk about processing guys. They chose to be Sooners. But man, Moser needs some schollies..

It’s not always processing guys; sometimes players make the choice purely voluntarily. I’d guess that’s the case more often than not when guys realize the playing time won’t be there.

Who would you process out? As I understand it, T. Groves is a senior with one more season left, should he choose to use it. The same is true of Harkless and Gibson. Is that correct?

I think Mawein put the stamp of approval on his scholarship in the last two games. I like his potential! That leaves Issanza. I don’t even want to think about processing a 7 foot center with his potential and two (or is it three?) years to play. If he gives us two good seasons as a rim protector and a little more help on the boards, he would be worth the gamble.

So, who would you process out if you could call the shots?

Who would you process out? As I understand it, T. Groves is a senior with one more season left, should he choose to use it. The same is true of Harkless and Gibson. Is that correct?

I think Mawein put the stamp of approval on his scholarship in the last two games. I like his potential! That leaves Issanza. I don’t even want to think about processing a 7 foot center with his potential and two (or is it three?) years to play. If he gives us two good seasons as a rim protector and a little more help on the boards, he would be worth the gamble.

I have a big heart so that's a hard question. Of course, you do all you can to help the guys find a place. Plus I'm not in practice every day. But from my perspective, which doesn't mean much, i'll take a stab at it:

PG: Cortez, Uzan, Mason... Mason would be my choice I guess, but he looks like he has talent. Just seems like it will be kind of a logjam with 3 young guys.

Wings: Gibson, Harkless, Noland, Schroder, Oweh... I have no idea. I love Umoja but man if he's not hitting 3s it limits his value because of his size. So far, I like what Noland brings to the table but I wish he'd slim down. He's only like 6-1 too and that's short for a B12 wing. I don't know..

4: Probably Jalen Hill. HAHA felt some pucker factors on that one. I don't know. I guess Jacob Groves? He's 6-9 but doesn't really do 6-9 things and he's not hitting his 3s, and can be a defensive liability. Moser loves him though, he's not going anywhere.

5: Rick would be the obvious choice. Moser may think he can get something out of him but his minutes have waned. I like Mawein, and I thought he'd play a much bigger role this year. Maybe EC's absence will vault him to better things. I like 6-8 physical, active guys with athleticism.

So, i'm not saying i'd definitely get rid of them but the three I would guess would be Rick, Groves, and Mason in that order. Trade in Rick for a more skilled 5, trade JGroves for an athletic, physical 4 that can get his own shot, and maybe keep Mason if he can play some off guard and score. I think he can shoot the 3 pretty well.. That's my guess because I was forced. HAHA

Harkless, Issanza, Gibson.

Utilize those three scholarships to find a scoring guard, a switchable wing that can play 3/4 and interchange with Jalen Hill, and find a backup C for Ethan's spot.

You’re right, Stikboy, it’s not easy.

I have a feeling Mason is not going anywhere. For one thing, he’s Porter’s first recruit at OU, and that means something to the guy in charge. Jacob Groves? Don’t forget that he has a brother on our roster that we want to come back next season. Besides, with a little hard work in the off season, I think he could play a much bigger role this fall.

As Wichita said, sometimes players make those decisions for us. For my part, I like it that way. ;)

Harkless, Issanza, Gibson.

Utilize those three scholarships to find a scoring guard, a switchable wing that can play 3/4 and interchange with Jalen Hill, and find a backup C for Ethan's spot.

Huummm! Our best defender, our tallest big, and our best perimeter shooter? That might work if we could find the right replacements. But, that’s a big “IF” I can’t wrap my head around right now. I’ll sleep on it and get back to you. :)

Huummm! Our best defender, our tallest big, and our best perimeter shooter? That might work if we could find the right replacements. But, that’s a big “IF” I can’t wrap my head around right now. I’ll sleep on it and get back to you. :)

Agreed, it's a big IF and it's a tough call for Porter. I'm not sure how active he and his staff will be in the portal. They had to be very active last year out of necessity, but we'll see. Issanza hasn't shown anything to show he can play at this level. Harkless is just so offensively challenged, while being a good defender. Gibson is a good shooter, but due to his size, there is a lot of overlap with Cortes, Noland, Mason, and Uzan. All are in the 6'1-6'3 range, I'd like to get a little bigger there. There will be better overall guards in the portal.

And for Harkless and Gibson it might be in their best interest to move on and play professional overseas. They're not making the NBA with one more year, and I doubt there are substantive NIL deals for them staying.

Big Rick will likely be moving on. Hate to say it but he doesn’t have near the skill necessary to play in this system.

i would think there is a reasonable chance the Harkless and/or Mo decide to start their Pro career they will both be graduates ..

If not, it would be the first time in my recent memory..

Along those lines, I couldn’t help but notice there’s another recruit on the ESPN list with an OU offer, Sadraque Nganga, ranked #86. What’s the word on him, anybody know?

http://insider.espn.com/college-spo...player/evaluation/_/id/238300/sadraque-nganga

https://247sports.com/Article/Sadraque-Nganga-recruitment-update-St-Marys-Kansas-Memphis-177850827/

here is an interview from last month .. does not mention OU

I don't think bigs will be a concern next year.

I'm pretty content with T. Groves, Mawein, and Issanza. From what I've seen, all three of those guys are 5's and 5's alone.

Now, it does put us needing an impact big in 2023 pretty badly. Be interesting to see who Moser targets. Bigs in the mold of Krutwig and T. Groves don't grow on trees.

Back