Andy Katz Blog on Tulsa

Why is everyone comparing Tulsa to Coppin State? Last year, we played both. Playing Tulsa doesn't replace the Coppin State's or Maryland Eastern Shore's, those games will always be there. Playing Tulsa replaces another marquee mid major, or lower BCS type team.

So, we may not play Tulsa next season, but we could be replacing them with a TCU or a Vanderbilt.

Every schedule needs the Coppin States, it has nothing to do with playing Tulsa.

If OU football can play games at Tulsa, so can OU basketball.

No reason they aren't on the schedule practically every season.

I think OU should schedule a little better locally, and replace those junk teams with better regional opponents.

Exchange Maryland Eastern-Shore with TCU.
Exchange Coppin State with Tulsa.
Exchange Mississippi Valley State with Colorado State.
Exchange Maine with UTEP.
Exchange American with SMU.
Exchange Gardner-Webb with Houston.

Why not do that? TCU, Tulsa, CSU, UTEP, SMU, and Houston will generate a lot more interest than the schools actually on schedule. OU shouldnt lose to any of those schools, but they are at least a respectable, name opponent.

It couldn't hurt OU to go play at TCU, at SMU, and Houston every now and then either.

You do that when you have a really strong team. It's a good thing to do that in a way because you get to have kids go back to Texas. However, as strong as our team was last year, we almost lost to Rice. A loss like that could sting a little bit.

If OU football can play games at Tulsa, so can OU basketball.

No reason they aren't on the schedule practically every season.

+1

OU football plays games at TU's home field. Why cant the hoops team?

Because ESPN isn't sitting there with a ton of cash for it to happen.

I think the reason OU doesn't play TCU, SMU, Houston, ORU, Tulsa, etc., every year is that all of those teams want a 1 for 1 deal and the OU athletic departments needs a bunch of home games each year to justify season ticket prices and for easy wins on the schedule. The Coppin States of the world don't mind going on the road for a paycheck to pay for their basketball program. I think if Tulsa wanted to come to OU every year, then OU would be all for it, but Tulsa and those other schools would be crazy to do that.

I think the reason OU doesn't play TCU, SMU, Houston, ORU, Tulsa, etc., every year is that all of those teams want a 1 for 1 deal and the OU athletic departments needs a bunch of home games each year to justify season ticket prices and for easy wins on the schedule. The Coppin States of the world don't mind going on the road for a paycheck to pay for their basketball program. I think if Tulsa wanted to come to OU every year, then OU would be all for it, but Tulsa and those other schools would be crazy to do that.

Yea, it would probably be difficult to schedule UTEP, TCU, SMU, Houston, etc to home games only all the time. They would expect a return trip, and probably rightfully so.

Yea, it would probably be difficult to schedule UTEP, TCU, SMU, Houston, etc to home games only all the time. They would expect a return trip, and probably rightfully so.

None of those schools deserve a home and home. A 2-1 or a OU home, neutral in a Houston arena, All tournament game, or Dallas arena.

Back