#15 OU @ Cincinnati 12pm CST on ESPN+

BoulderSooner

Owner/Operator
Reaction score
If you need ESPN+ please click here and help out OUhoops.com (6 of next 7 games on ESPN+)

NORMAN – No. 15/16 Oklahoma men's basketball travels to Cincinnati for a Big 12 conference contest on Saturday, Jan. 20 at Fifth Third Arena. Tip is at 12:01 p.m. CT. The game will air on the Sooner Sports Radio Network (KRXO 107.7 FM The Franchise in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa; Varsity Radio App) with Toby Rowland and Kevin Henry announcing and be broadcast by ESPN+ with Eric Rothman (PxP) and Tim Welsh (analyst) on the call.

I think the first few minutes will tell us a lot. Obviously it would be great to shoot well early, but mainly, I want to see us get through the opening segment without any turnovers or silly fouls. Early turnovers were a major issue against UNC and TCU. Not quite as bad against KU, but we still didn't come out strong. Two or three sloppy, live ball turnovers can really snowball on the road. We have plenty of experienced guys, so let's show that and play with poise. And if the game is tight in the second half, we need to be smart offensively. During the segment in Lawrence when things got away from us, we had a stretch of four possessions where three of our shots came from Moore and Soares, and two of them were from 3-pt. range. That's not a winning formula. Los and JM need to look for their offense, and hopefully JM continues his upward trend of getting to the line. I also want to see Moser play the three starting guards heavy minutes. Don't be so quick to go to Dart and Waldo unless fouls are an issue. All three of those guys are in good enough shape to play 35+ mins. Bench players are much less likely to play well on the road. Ride your horses if they are playing well.

Line is currently UC -3. Bearcats are pretty confident they'll handle us in their sold-out arena. Guess we'll find out.

Fifth Third Arena? Is that the same as Seventh Arena? Or is it the same as 1 2/3 arena? Regardless, hopefully Sooner Victory arena.

Is this 4 straight espn+ games? Kinda ridiculous for the best conference in the country.

I agree with Wichita, turnovers will tell the story about this game. OU is the third worst team in the big 12 in turnover percentage. We’ve been worse about them on the road and are still yet to win a true road game. Guys like Moore and Oweh need to be smarter with their drives, and Darthard/Soares need to hit a few shots. I think those are the X factors for us tomorrow.

2 really different teams! Good guys need to jump on them early.

I agree with Wichita, turnovers will tell the story about this game. OU is the third worst team in the big 12 in turnover percentage. We’ve been worse about them on the road and are still yet to win a true road game. Guys like Moore and Oweh need to be smarter with their drives, and Darthard/Soares need to hit a few shots. I think those are the X factors for us tomorrow.
Agreed. If OU has less than ten turnovers and the bench can combine for 15 + I feel very confident for the Sooners.

Agreed. If OU has less than ten turnovers and the bench can combine for 15 + I feel very confident for the Sooners.
Considering that would be the lowest total yet for Big12 play, would be nice. I don't see us having less than 10 though.

Total turnovers by player in Big12 Play:

PlayerISUTCUKUWVUTotalTPG
Uzan
3​
1​
1​
2​
1.75​
McCollum
1​
6​
6​
4​
4.25​
Oweh
0​
0​
1​
1​
0.5​
Moore
0​
2​
0​
3​
1.25​
Godwin
4​
1​
0​
4​
2.25​
Soares
0​
1​
1​
2​
1​
Hugley IV
2​
1​
2​
1​
1.5​
Darthard
0​
2​
0​
1​
0.75​
Northweather
0​
0​
0​
Cooper
0​
0​
Team
1​
0​
0​
1​
0.5​
Total TOs
Away Total
Difference

Last edited:
Completely agree. I've heard a lot of college coaches say that 10 or fewer is the number they aim for. For a team with two true point guards like OU, it absolutely is attainable if it is emphasized. JM is a great player, but he definitely makes too many careless, risky decisions. Moore, Hugley, and Soares just need to recognize that ball handling in traffic isn't their strength. Those guys either need to make quick, one-or-two dribble moves, or pass it back to a ball handler.

I would be elated if OU won tomorrow, but i'm not expecting it. Not trying to be a downer, just not real confident in this bunch on the road. Feels like Cincinnati has won some games they weren't expected to, and winning any road game in the Big 12 it seems will almost be a miracle. Remember losing to them during the Kruger era by one point at their place, after leading practically the entire game. Maybe a Romero Osby team? At the time, a heartbreaker...

We've lost our last four meetings with Cincy--by one point on the road in 2012, by 10 pts in OKC in 2011, by 15 pts in Norman in 2000 and by 13 points on the road in 1999.

I'd say we're due.

Is this 4 straight espn+ games? Kinda ridiculous for the best conference in the country.
When you put the best games from the best conference on ESPN+, then you know people are going to pay to see them. It sucks for us fans, but it's a very cunning move by the network and probably facilitated in part because of their declining viewership through traditional provider services.

We've lost our last four meetings with Cincy--by one point on the road in 2012, by 10 pts in OKC in 2011, by 15 pts in Norman in 2000 and by 13 points on the road in 1999.

I'd say we're due.

Those huggy bear Cincy teams were insanely talented with K-Mart and company

I'd say we're due.
OU played them twice in 99 ... jan 16th on the road

and Dec 22nd in Norman ... over 13k for a late Dec non con game vs the #4 (had been #1 and were again 2 weeks later) team in the county

and the best college basketball team i have ever seen in person .. OU was a 3 seed that year and we pretty much didn't belong on the court with that team

if K-mart didn't get hurt they 100% win it all ..

When you put the best games from the best conference on ESPN+, then you know people are going to pay to see them. It sucks for us fans, but it's a very cunning move by the network and probably facilitated in part because of their declining viewership through traditional provider services.
I don’t think it’s necessarily ESPN making the decision for that reason. The Big 12 is the only major conference that didn’t create its own network. Instead, it negotiated to have lots of games on ESPN+. So this is what we get. And I assume we have more streaming games than most conference teams because of our record the last two years.

OU played them twice in 99 ... jan 16th on the road

and Dec 22nd in Norman ... over 13k for a late Dec non con game vs the #4 (had been #1 and were again 2 weeks later) team in the county
Right you are. I got my info from SoonerStats.com where there was a Season column and a Year column. I used the Season column and didn't notice that game I listed as 2000 was actually played late in 1999.

Back