Big 12 media day

Thanks, SuperHoops!

About what I expected from Coach Kruger’s interview. I think he’s right in that OU’s depth and versatility will be major strengths. I can’t wait for the season to start! Less than a week now before our first game.

Bill Self made an interesting comment when asked about Udoka. He said “IF he comes back......” Does that mean there’s still a question about his return? Is it possible the NCAA investigation could delay or even block a player like him who by most accounts has been part of the investigation?

Thanks, SuperHoops!

About what I expected from Coach Kruger’s interview. I think he’s right in that OU’s depth and versatility will be major strengths. I can’t wait for the season to start! Less than a week now before our first game.

Bill Self made an interesting comment when asked about Udoka. He said “IF he comes back......” Does that mean there’s still a question about his return? Is it possible the NCAA investigation could delay or even block a player like him who by most accounts has been part of the investigation?

I think the "if" was referring to his injury history and whether he will be able to stay healthy. I don't think I've ever heard his name even loosely associated with the investigation. Preston and De Sousa are the two guys who have been part of that.

Also, how sad that no OU beat writers even attended media day, from what I can tell. I don't know if that says more about the state of newspapers today, or how difficult it is for our basketball program to get any attention in the media, especially during football season.

Last edited:
I think the "if" was referring to his injury history and whether he will be able to stay healthy. I don't think I've ever heard his name even loosely associated with the investigation. Preston and De Sousa are the two guys who have been part of that.

Also, how sad that no OU beat writers even attended media day, from what I can tell. I don't know if that says more about the state of newspapers today, or how difficult it is for our basketball program to get any attention in the media, especially during football season.

Good observation about the beat writers.

Great point about the beat writers.

how sad that no OU beat writers even attended media day

While Guerin Emig has shifted to writing columns in recent years, he was an OU beat writer for the Tulsa World for many years, and was indeed in Kansas City for Big 12 media day.

Speaking of, here's our Big 12 media day coverage via Guerin Emig. Excerpt...

Asked if practice has shown him anything he wasn’t sure he knew about, Kruger said: “I found out early on that our versatility is going to be a strength. I think our depth will be a strength. A lot of guys, interchangeable parts, a chance to play bigger or smaller depending on opponent or the play of our guys.”

The odds-on starting lineup for OU’s exhibition game against Southeast Oklahoma State on Oct. 29 sets up with Harmon at the point, guards Jamal Bieniemy and Austin Reaves on the wing and forwards Kristian Doolittle and Brady Manek playing inside and out.

Kruger could also play a more traditional lineup size-wise with Kur Kuath, a 6-10 shot blocker who sat out last season because of a back injury, down low.

Back