Big 12 Starting Lineups - OSU Cowboys

thebigabd

Reaction score
PG: Kendall Smith (6'3'' 190 - Grad Senior)
Transfer from Cal State... averaged a team-high 16.7 points and 4.8 assists to go along with 4.0 rebounds and 1.3 steals. Shot 44.8 percent from the floor, 37.5 percent from behind the 3-point arc and 76.2 percent from the free throw line. Averaged 17.6 points in conference play.

SG: Jefferey Carroll (6'6'' 220 - RS Senior)
Earned Second-Team All-Big 12 Conference honors. Became just the fourth Big 12 player to ever finish in the top 10 in the league in scoring (3rd, 17.5 ppg), rebounding (8th, 6.6 rpg) and 3-point percentage (3rd, 44.4 3fg%). Carroll joins Big 12 legends Georges Niang (ISU, 2015-16), Jordan Hamilton (Texas, 2010-11) and Kevin Durant (Texas, 2006-07). Connected on 44.4 (59-of-133) percent of his 3-pointers, which is the fourth-best season by a Cowboy in program history.

SF: Davon Dillard (6'5'' 215 - Junior)
Averaged 5.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game.. Proved his range with a team-high 48.1 percent (13-of-27) clip from 3-point... Made multiple appearances on ESPN’s SportsCenter Top-10, including the No. 1 play on Feb. 4 for his monster dunk in the win at No. 7 West Virginia.. Proved an explosive athlete known for his highlight-reel slam dunks and physical play.

PF: Mitchell Solomon (6'9'' 250 - Senior)
Posted averages of 5.5 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.. Pulled down 102 offensive boards, which is tied for the sixth most ever by a Cowboy. Only Ivan McFarlin, Byron Houston and Bryant Reeves ever grabbed more in a single season. His 3.1 offensive boards per game ranked third in the Big 12.

C: Yankuba Sima (6'11'' 225 - RS Junior)
Transfer from St. Johns.. Finished second in the Big East with 60 blocks, the ninth-most for a single season in St. John’s history. Sima’s 2.4 blocks per game ranks 22nd in the NCAA... Led St. John’s with 5.7 rebounds per contest to go with a 7.3 ppg scoring average..

Sima isn't eligible until December so Waters will probably start at the 2 and Dillard will play the 4 at the start of the season.

Jordan Hamilton a Big 12 legend? Lol. Ok...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for another OU sweep? Sure wouldn't surprise me.

Sima isn't eligible until December so Waters will probably start at the 2 and Dillard will play the 4 at the start of the season.

Thank you kind aggy.

What do you think of your new coach?

think they'll go as that PG Kendall Smith goes. He looks pretty athletic and good player in highlight film but played at a lower level.

Also, starting 3 seniors and 2 juniors usually bodes well. Carol seems to be best returning big 12 player

They will suck

I concur. That's a mediocre line up for this conference. Funny thing is their depth is probably very poor, too.

And Carroll is not the number one returning player. I would take the guard from ku and mcgusty over him off the top of my head.

and mcgusty over him off the top of my head.

That's pretty ridiculous at this point. McGusty hasn't shown that he can do a single thing better than Carroll...

I concur. That's a mediocre line up for this conference. Funny thing is their depth is probably very poor, too.

You have potentially the best defensive center in the league, one of the better guards, and a very old team. Not sure why you don't like this lineup? You think they can't shoot? Can't defend?

As for the bench... it's filled with a highly rated freshman and a bunch of guys who saw plenty of PT last year as true freshman. The 7 footer, Averette, McGriff, and Waters... All sophomores now. Should be a pretty solid bench.

Brandon Averette -
Second only to Jawun Evans in total assists (60) and assists per game (1.8) on the OSU roster. Shot 45.5 percent from 3-point on the year, which trailed only Davon Dillard (.481) among Cowboys with at least 10 makes. Named Big 12 Newcomer of the Week (Dec. 12, 2016) for leading the Cowboys to a win at Tulsa in his first career start. Averette posted a game-high 17 points, three rebounds, three assist and three steals. Ended the year with averages of 5.2 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.8 apg and 0.8 spg.

Zack Dawson-
ESPN ranked Dawson as a four-star recruit and the No. 68 player in the country regardless of position.. Named 2017 First-Team All-Miami-Dade by the Miami Herald, which marked his third straight year on the first team.ESPN also listed him as the No. 15 point guard in the country and the No. 3 overall player in the state of Florida.

Cameron McGriff
Averaged 3.8 points and 3.1 rebounds on 40.5 percent shooting as a freshman... Known for his physical play, McGriff attempted 74 free throws in 503 total minutes, which trailed only Jawun Evans in free throw rate... Was the No. 1 play on the Nov. 23 SportsCenter Top 10 for his vicious transition dunk in the win over Georgetown in the Maui Invitational

Lindy Waters
Earned 12 starts as a true freshman...Led all OSU newcomers with 5.7 points per game ... Big 12 Newcomer of the Week on Feb. 6 after going 5-of-5 from beyond the arc in road wins at Oklahoma and West Virginia. Proved an efficient scoring threat thanks to 44.2 percent (19-of-43) shooting from 3-point and a 49.5 percent (46-of-93) clip from the floor

Thomas Dziawaga
One of OSU’s top sharpshooters, Dziagwa connected on 43.4 percent (25-of-53) of his 3-point attempts, which is the second highest among all Cowboys with at least 20 makes.

Lucas N'Guessan
Earned 10 starts and saw action in 28 games as a true freshman.. Shot a team-best 67.4 percent (29-of-43) from the floor...

And Carroll is not the number one returning player. I would take the guard from ku and mcgusty over him off the top of my head.

Graham avg 13, 4a, 3r
Mcgusty avg 11, 2r, 0a
Carrol avg 18,7r, 1a

I'm not sure how you judge players but purely statistical, he is by far and away better than those 2 players last year

I'd take graham. He was fighting for stats while Carroll wasn't. Mcgusty could be better but I don't know that he's proven it yet. I would rather have a true sophomore in Mcgusty than a RS senior in Carroll personally. Think most aggies would also.

I'd take graham. He was fighting for stats while Carroll wasn't. Mcgusty could be better but I don't know that he's proven it yet. I would rather have a true sophomore in Mcgusty than a RS senior in Carroll personally. Think most aggies would also.

I mean... when a player has 3 years of eligibility left it bodes well for the future. But I would be stunned if Carroll didn't beat McGusty in every stat category this year and get drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft.

This couldn't be more correctly said

But I would be stunned if Carroll didn't beat McGusty in every stat category this year and get drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft.

You could only compare this in regards to "better player" if they played on the exact same team. Carroll at this point will probably lead OSU in scoring where McGusty could be 1-5 in team scoring based on the others around him. I personally think the talent is fairly even but again if that's the case, you always go with the younger player. Carroll broke out last year but had two other scorers around him taking pressure off of him similar to woodard two years ago. ALL of the NBA teams will look at him closer this year to see how he handles it given he'll be the main guy from day one.

You could only compare this in regards to "better player" if they played on the exact same team. Carroll at this point will probably lead OSU in scoring where McGusty could be 1-5 in team scoring based on the others around him. I personally think the talent is fairly even but again if that's the case, you always go with the younger player. Carroll broke out last year but had two other scorers around him taking pressure off of him similar to woodard two years ago. ALL of the NBA teams will look at him closer this year to see how he handles it given he'll be the main guy from day one.

You are right... you have to take the quality of team into account. I've made this mistake with Texas Tech a bunch of times over the years...

So let's take that into account:

McGusty averaged 11 on the worst team in OU history. If OU was good, McGusty would have had a more normal freshman season and averaged 5 ppg backing up some older player.

Carroll averaged 17.5 points and 6.6 rebounds on a 20 win team that went to the NCAA Tournament, and lost by 1 to Michigan.

You are right... you have to take the quality of team into account. I've made this mistake with Texas Tech a bunch of times over the years...

So let's take that into account:

McGusty averaged 11 on the worst team in OU history. If OU was good, McGusty would have had a more normal freshman season and averaged 5 ppg backing up some older player.

Carroll averaged 17.5 points and 6.6 rebounds on a 20 win team that went to the NCAA Tournament, and lost by 1 to Michigan.

First off, that's not what I said. I didn't say the quality of the team. IF you want to say this guy is better than this guy you can only determine that if they played on the EXACT same team in the same system/environment etc etc. Given that is hardly ever the case, comparing two guys on different teams is really pointless.

Speculating what McGusty would have done on a better team is just that....speculation.

Lastly, Carroll averaged 17.5 points with arguably the best pg or at least 2nd best pg in the league along with another guard that teams in the big 12 knew they had to pay attention to or be killed by the 3. When you are the 3rd option on most nights, you tend to get better looks (see jordan woodard's jr season). It's not that teams don't try to plan for you, they just don't emphasize it as much as the other guys and just take their chances.

Carroll very well could lead his team in pts this year and even the league but that doesn't make him a better player than he was last year or all of the other players in the league. Stats don't ALWAYS tell all angles of the story.

Carrol was the leading scorer for the pokes last year...on the same team with an NBA PG and good shooter Forte.

Even if he doesn't improve year over year, he could score 20ppg out of necessity if other guys dont step up.

Most of the time guys don't drop their production significantly when they lose some good teammates and have more pressure..they just lose their efficiency. So instead of shooting say 44% from 3pt last year...he shoots 40% this upcoming season.

Woodard was an interesting case because he had injuries and some mental health issues. Plus his height is a disadvantage to 'take over' games or create his own.

I haven't watched enough of this Carrol Guy but I remember he was more athletic and taller.

You could make the case of Graham over Carrol especially being a PG, I rly dont know enough about the two.

But I hope Mcgusty can put up 18ppg and 6rpg as a junior. I'm not sure many get to that

Last edited:
I haven't watched enough of this Carrol Guy

XAxaV.gif

Carrol was the leading scorer for the pokes last year...on the same team with an NBA PG and good shooter Forte.

Even if he doesn't improve year over year, he could score 20ppg out of necessity if other guys dont step up.

Most of the time guys don't drop their production significantly when they lose some good teammates and have more pressure..they just lose their efficiency. So instead of shooting say 44% from 3pt last year...he shoots 40% this upcoming season.

Woodard was an interesting case because he had injuries and some mental health issues. Plus his height is a disadvantage to 'take over' games or create his own.

I haven't watched enough of this Carrol Guy but I remember he was more athletic and taller.

You could make the case of Graham over Carrol especially being a PG, I rly dont know enough about the two.

But I hope Mcgusty can put up 18ppg and 6rpg as a junior. I'm not sure many get to that

Lol - sure thing. Aggy trolls are my favorite kind of trolls. Tell Uncle Swaim hello from Sooner Nation.

Isn't he just the cutest, though? He really thinks he's fooling us! So adorable. Kids say the darnedest things!

Back