Big props to James Hale (free McCallum article)

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
Scored an interview with Ray McCallum. I'm going to take the Rodney King approach and say, "can't we all just get along". There shouldn't be any anomosity with two boards covering OU basketball. Here's an exerpt.

JH: Did you get into any shooting contest with Coach Jeff Capel?

RM: “Yeah Coach Capel and I played horse and I had him down too. I don’t know what happened because he ended up beating me. I think he had ‘S’, but I had him, but he ended up beating me.”

JH: What shots did he use to beat you?

RM: “He was using my shots actually! He hit one in the corner and he hit one from the wing and I don’t know I had been hitting all of those. Then it came down to the end and he just hit and I missed both of them.”

I hope they keep it up. This program needs all the exposure that it can get.

Good stuff and props to OUInsider for letting it go free.

I hope everyone understands we're not here to compete with anybody, we just want to try and help get the word out about the basketball program and try to generate interest. My opinion, and wish for this site, is the more hoops coverage out there for OU fans, the the more interest it creates and in turn possibly puts more butts in seats at the LNC. Nobody was really doing that, so that's where we tried to fill the void. Hopefully all the other sites catch on and start increasing their coverage.

Anyway, here is the link to their complete interview:

Recruiting Update: PG Ray McCallum

James Hale does a good job when he is covering basketball. I just wish it was more often.

James has really stepped up his game this year when it comes to hoops. I have taken notice and really appreciate the effort. I think this site has done a nice job of pushing him.

Give Josh credit over at Soonerscoop.com as well. He has a free story out on Cam clark. Link

Now if we could just get Soonerinsider.com doing its part, then OU hoops would start to get the coverage that it deserves.

Just don't anyone forget where the unofficial online home of OU basketball is....:woot

James has really stepped up his game this year when it comes to hoops. I have taken notice and really appreciate the effort. I think this site has done a nice job of pushing him.

Give Josh credit over at Soonerscoop.com as well. He has a free story out on Cam clark. Link

Now if we could just get Soonerinsider.com doing its part, then OU hoops would start to get the coverage that it deserves.

Just don't anyone forget where the unofficial online home of OU basketball is....:woot

Brazil?

An "us against them" mentality has never been part of the mission of OUHoops.com. This site was created to promote OU basketball, not to compete with other sites. But the truth is we have been competitive by default, because no one else would step up to the plate and give our basketball programs the attention they deserved.

It's good that OUInsider is finally doing more of that now. Props to James Hale! He's one of the best in the business, and OU basketball needs people like him.

Looks like they changed the story back to premium. So much for the freebie, huh? I just followed the link OUHoops posted and could see the photo of McCallum but this was the text below it..........

You must have a premium account to access the rest of this article. If you are a premium member, you can log in here. To register a new account, click here.

FWIW, the only free stories I've seen them post over there is the stuff they copy and paste from SoonerSports.com.

I guess the story is no longer free?

Sooner23 beat me to it.

Looks like they changed the story back to premium. So much for the freebie, huh? I just followed the link OUHoops posted and could see the photo of McCallum but this was the text below it..........

FWIW, the only free stories I've seen them post over there is the stuff they copy and paste from SoonerSports.com.

I never had a chance to read it too! Oh well!

Capel playing recruits in horse is just another example of his innate ability to relate with players. Can't you see them in sweats, shooting hoops, talkin' hoops, just hangin' like two teammates would. And this is YOUR COACH. Recruits have to think that is cool as heck. I just sit back and laugh at all the people who said "being one of the guys" and being a "players coach" wasn't going to be a huge deal for Capel. It's what separates him apart and gives him the ability to get the type of players he's getting at a school that has never seen this kind of recruiting level. It's truly amazing what he's doing and the type of individual Coach Capel is. He's fantastic.

Capel playing recruits in horse is just another example of his innate ability to relate with players. Can't you see them in sweats, shooting hoops, talkin' hoops, just hangin' like two teammates would. And this is YOUR COACH. Recruits have to think that is cool as heck. I just sit back and laugh at all the people who said "being one of the guys" and being a "players coach" wasn't going to be a huge deal for Capel. It's what separates him apart and gives him the ability to get the type of players he's getting at a school that has never seen this kind of recruiting level. It's truly amazing what he's doing and the type of individual Coach Capel is. He's fantastic.

I couldn't agree more, chendog!

He did it at the prospect camp. It was refreshing to see a bunch of 8th and 9th graders crowded around him as he sunk a shot from halfcourt on his first try. Then he shot a shot off of the shotclock and in the bucket. There probably is no coach in america that is more relatable to young players. Bruce Pearl is a close second.

Great post!

He did it at the prospect camp. It was refreshing to see a bunch of 8th and 9th graders crowded around him as he sunk a shot from halfcourt on his first try. Then he shot a shot off of the shotclock and in the bucket. There probably is no coach in america that is more relatable to young players. Bruce Pearl is a close second.

cause he can rap??

No, because he's a liquor drinking, young girl chasin, playboy that is not afrain to jump in a moshpit. Maybe I should have put BCG on the list.

o ya that too... so is self then too?

Back