Great Alaska Shootout Field Revealed >>> SoonerSports.com

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081409aab.html

NORMAN, Okla. - The University of Oklahoma men's basketball team will compete in the six-team Carrs/Safeway Great Alaska Shootout Nov. 25-28. The Sooners will play three games at Anchorage's Sullivan Arena.

Slotted in Pool B, OU will play San Diego (16-16 last year) on Wednesday, Nov. 25, and Houston (21-12) the following day. The Sooners will face Alaska Anchorage (15-14), Nicholls State (20-11) or Washington State (17-16), all members of Pool A, on Saturday, Nov. 28.

Oklahoma has competed in the Great Alaska Shootout on two previous occasions (1983-84 and 2004-05 seasons) and finished in third place both times (eight-team fields).

The remainder of OU's non-conference schedule is expected to be announced soon.

---------------

2009 Carrs/Safeway Great Alaska Shootout Schedule - Nov. 25-28

Wednesday, Nov. 25
Washington State vs Alaska Anchorage (Pool A)
Oklahoma vs San Diego (Pool B)

Thursday, Nov. 26
Nicholls State vs Alaska Anchorage (Pool A)
Houston vs Oklahoma (Pool B)

Friday, Nov. 27
Nicholls State vs Washington State (Pool A)
Houston vs San Diego (Pool B)

Saturday, Nov. 28
Pool A #3 vs Pool B #3 (fifth place)
Pool A #2 vs Pool B #2 (third place)
Pool A #1 vs Pool B #1 (championship)

Well I guess the hope of getting another Major Conference team turned into Nicholls St.

Good news for Bigabd is we will definitely play Huston who if I recall correctly had some of his favorite jucos.

Man, I cant wait to play Houston... what a matchup for early season play on a neutral court! They are an experienced team and return a lot of their talent from a year ago. They are athletic and can really shoot.

Houston and UTEP give OU two great non-conference games out of C-USA to challenge a very young Oklahoma basketball team.

PG: Zamal Dixon (6'1'' 170-junior)- Competed in 30 games with 13 starts with all of those coming in the final 15 games. Finished fifth on team with 5.7 points per game

SG: Kelvin Lewis (6'4'' 190-junior)- 2009 All-Conference USA Third Team. 2009 C-USA All-Defensive Team. Finished second on the team with 18.0 points per game and led the Cougars in 3-point field goals, 3-point attempts and free throw percentage... Ranked fourth in Conference USA in scoring and ranked among the league's top-10 leaders in 3-point field goal percentage, 3-point field goals per game, free throw percentage.

SG: Aubrey Coleman (6'4'' 200-senior)- 2009 C-USA Newcomer of the Year..2009 All-Conference USA First Team..Two-time C-USA Player of the Week..Five-time C-USA Rookie of the Week...Team leader with 19.4 points per game and finished second with 8.2 rebounds per game... Nearly became the first pure guard in school history to lead team in rebounding... Only player in Conference USA rank to rank among the league's top-five leaders in both scoring and rebounding... Was the league leader with 2.3 steals per game.

PF: Qa'rraan Calhoun (6'8'' 215-senior)- Averaged 10.2 points and 5.3 rebounds in his first season out of juco. Hit 42 3-point shots and was 35% from behind the 3pt line.

PF: Maurice Mcneal (6'9'' 215-junior)- As a sophomore, he averaged team highs of 19.7 points and 11.7 rebounds per game on the way to being named to the All-Region XIV First Team. "Maurice is an extremely athletic player that has an amazing wingspan. He runs the floor, is very active on the glass and can finish inside," head coach Tom Penders said. "He is perfect for what we do and what we want to do, which is run and press."

Man am I glad that we get to play Houston and San Diego in pool play and not AA and Nichol's State.

If all goes according to plan then we will play San Diego, Houston, and then Washington State in the championship game. It is not a great field by any means, but at least it is three teams that have been in postseason play recently.

I'm like everyone else. The houston game will provide a very good challenge for our team. Hopefully our team chemistry will have come together by this time. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Here's a little look at what Houston did last year against teams from the major conferences and the one NCAA tourney team in Conference USA.

Lost 71-67 to Iowa State
Lost 82-65 to Mississippi State
Lost 49-45 to Oregon St.
Lost 96-90 to Arizona

Lost 83-68 to Memphis
Lost 69-60 to Memphis
Lost 74-49 to Memphis

They also lost their only game against Tulsa.

I for one am not worried about facing Houston. They basically have that same team back (not a good thing), but lose their only good big man Marcus Cousin (who averaged close to a double-double for them last year) and replace him wth the 66th best JUCO player in the 2009 class. http://jucojunction.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=2309

Hmm...seems like a long way to travel to play those teams.

I agree, seems like a REALLY bad field and OU shouldnt be going up there. Now I have to wait around until 1:00 in the morning to watch OU play Houston.

Here's a little look at what Houston did last year against teams from the major conferences and the one NCAA tourney team in Conference USA.

They return 4 starters, including a couple of guys who were first year players last year. Any team who has a new starting point guard, shooting guard, and power forward is going to struggle against talented, experienced teams. Houston should be a tough game on a neutral court early in the season.

replace him wth the 66th best JUCO player in the 2009 class.

Who could have gone to Oklahoma State, Missouri, or Oklahoma.

I agree, seems like a REALLY bad field and OU shouldnt be going up there. Now I have to wait around until 1:00 in the morning to watch OU play Houston.

Assuming this is on TV anywhere. ESPN doesn't do this tournament anymore.

A really bad feild? I thought Houston is a talented, experienced team that we are all supposed to be afraid of?

They return 4 starters, including a couple of guys who were first year players last year. Any team who has a new starting point guard, shooting guard, and power forward is going to struggle against talented, experienced teams. Houston should be a tough game on a neutral court early in the season.

We have to replace our point guard and shooting guard? What is Willie Warren?

Who could have gone to Oklahoma State, Missouri, or Oklahoma.

Then why didn't he? Those are all better schools than Houston?

I think Bigabd is talking about Houston struggling last year with new players and not us. I read it wrong the first time as well.

I think Bigabd is talking about Houston struggling last year with new players and not us. I read it wrong the first time as well.

This....

A really bad feild? I thought Houston is a talented, experienced team that we are all supposed to be afraid of?

Houston will be a tough game, you will see. But its a REALLY weak field.

We should definitely win this tournament.

I agree. I also want to make it clear that this was scheduled before Capel got the job. I don't think we will be going back there again anytime soon. The Sooners will be playing in the top tournaments for the next three years.

I agree. I also want to make it clear that this was scheduled before Capel got the job. I don't think we will be going back there again anytime soon. The Sooners will be playing in the top tournaments for the next three years.

If that's the case, you really can't blame anyone then. The tournament really lost its luster last year without ESPN. The end of the 2 in 4 rule for these tournaments made it easier for others to start up on the mainland and also made it less reasonable to go up to Alaska (Hawaii is a better draw for fans and teams because of the reward factor).

Back