Initial Coaches Poll

Also, please name the teams that you think will finish higher than OU besides KU, UT, and KSU. You already said that A&M and OSU are also to be "sold short" so I will be interested to see who you think finishes ahead of the Sooners.

Thanks.

With strong pre-conference play there is a chance you could see OU, OSU and Tulsa all in the Top 25. I really don't care about Tulsa or OSU but I think it helps the perception of the State as being a hot bed for basketball when you see all three schools in the top 25.

Also, please name the teams that you think will finish higher than OU besides KU, UT, and KSU. You already said that A&M and OSU are also to be "sold short" so I will be interested to see who you think finishes ahead of the Sooners.

Thanks.

The Sooners could finish 3rd in my view and they could finish 9th. If I was betting, I would say 4th. But my point in the sold short list is to say that I believe OU, OSU and A&M which are picked in the top 6 by everyone are all vulnerable to have disappointing seasons. OU perhaps less vulnerable due to the favorable North schedule but almost everyone picks them 3rd so the potential to disappoint is higher in my view than Iowa State and Baylor.

Iowa State and Baylor being picked 8-10 by most preseason polls have strong potential to surprise. I believe those 3-9 teams I listed are very close to each other talent wise and I don't see a big difference between #3 and #9- a few injuries or breaks here and there are going to determine how those middle teams finish.

Why is Purdue so high? FRAUD!

Because they return Hummel (All Big 10), Jajuan Johnson (All Big 10), Keaton Grant (All Big 10), Chris Kramer (Big 10 defensive player of year), and Etwaun Moore (All Big 10)....

Purdue is going to be really good, IMO. They basically have an entire lineup of all-conference players (from first team to honorable mention).

The Sooners could finish 3rd in my view and they could finish 9th. If I was betting, I would say 4th. But my point in the sold short list is to say that I believe OU, OSU and A&M which are picked in the top 6 by everyone are all vulnerable to have disappointing seasons. OU perhaps less vulnerable due to the favorable North schedule but almost everyone picks them 3rd so the potential to disappoint is higher in my view than Iowa State and Baylor.

Iowa State and Baylor being picked 8-10 by most preseason polls have strong potential to surprise. I believe those 3-9 teams I listed are very close to each other talent wise and I don't see a big difference between #3 and #9- a few injuries or breaks here and there are going to determine how those middle teams finish.

If you really believe it's possible that OU icould finish 9th in the conference then you have lost any and all credibility you had with me (which wasn't much). Try not being such a homer for a change.

If you really believe it's possible that OU icould finish 9th in the conference then you have lost any and all credibility you had with me (which wasn't much). Try not being such a homer for a change.

I really can't believe you would call a Baylor fan a homer. Surely everyone can see that Baylor is actually going to beat OU at either football or basketball (and possibly both) before the turn of the next century. This is Baylor, were talking about Baylor. Not even Baylor can lose 100% of the time.

Sometimes, I pitty the people that went to OSU but then I remember that Baylor is in the Big XII and I realize that OSU grads are actually quite blessed.

DFW do you know what these numbers represent:

19-0 and 28-0 and 35-5. Probably not but you might know the significance of 78, 56, 55 and 46 (those are the only years Baylor has beaten OU in basketball - 1 win in 50+ years - what a program!) If you guessed on the first numbers your record in football against OU, your record in Big XII play against OU in mens bball and your all time men's bball record you would be correct. Baylor gives credibility to A&M and that is truly pathetic.

Yes- I really believe that it is possible for OU to finish 9th. I don't think they will but I would say there is a 15-20% chance they finish lower than 6th. I think you are placing too much faith in talented freshmen to lead you to the promised land. It usually doesn't happen in big boy conferences. If Tiny Gallon gets himself in foul trouble often (which I think he will) and TMG is not the 2nd coming of DJ Augustine (and I have my doubts about that), it could be a more difficult season for OU than you think.

I really can't believe you would call a Baylor fan a homer. Surely everyone can see that Baylor is actually going to beat OU at either football or basketball (and possibly both) before the turn of the next century. This is Baylor, were talking about Baylor. Not even Baylor can lose 100% of the time.

Sometimes, I pitty the people that went to OSU but then I remember that Baylor is in the Big XII and I realize that OSU grads are actually quite blessed.

DFW do you know what these numbers represent:

19-0 and 28-0 and 35-5. Probably not but you might know the significance of 78, 56, 55 and 46 (those are the only years Baylor has beaten OU in basketball - 1 win in 50+ years - what a program!) If you guessed on the first numbers your record in football against OU, your record in Big XII play against OU in mens bball and your all time men's bball record you would be correct. Baylor gives credibility to A&M and that is truly pathetic.

In your mind I'm sure you believe football has a lot to do with basketball results. If it makes you feel good about yourself to spit out some meaningless football statistics on a basketball board, I am happy to contribute to your joy. I imagine Florida State grads go on the Duke basketball board and talk trash about the dominance of their football team over Duke's football team.

I have never said that OU hasn't owned Baylor basketball in the past- this is not really up for debate. For the first time ever, I believe the playing field is fairly equal (I would give OU a slight talent advantage). I suspect Baylor will split with OU this year. The trend is your friend until the end of the trend.

Last edited:
yes- i really believe that it is possible for ou to finish 9th. I don't think they will but i would say there is a 15-20% chance they finish lower than 6th. i think you are placing too much faith in talented freshmen to lead you to the promised land. It usually doesn't happen in big boy conferences. If tiny gallon gets himself in foul trouble often (which i think he will) and tmg is not the 2nd coming of dj augustine (and i have my doubts about that), it could be a more difficult season for ou than you think.

omg!!!!

Back