Marques Bolden recruiting tidbits

usedtobe1

Administrator
Reaction score
I just googled to see if there is any news on Marques Bolden's choice for his year of college basketball. I've felt all along that OU is an unlikely choice but they have a puncher's chance. I even received a PM from a "scout" who told me a month ago that Kentucky was the strong favorite by those in-the-know.

Here's an excerpt from a KU site on 1/09/2016 that was short and sweet:
Marques Bolden, a 6-foot-10 senior forward from DeSoto (Texas) High, who is ranked No. 16 in the recruiting Class of 2016 by Rivals.com, has visited KU, Kentucky, Duke and Oklahoma, and also has TCU on his list.

Bolden has said immediate playing time is a huge factor.

That piece of news is favorable for OU...... but I don't like the next piece of information that includes Jerry Meyers' opinion (whom I respect) that was published on 1/07/2016. He picks Kentucky and thinks it's a two-team race with KU finishing second.
247 Sports national recruit director Jerry Meyer told the Lexington Herald-Leader's Ben Roberts that he believes Bolden will end up in Lexington. Bolden, a 6-foot-11 prospect from Texas, is ranked by Scout.com as the No. 1 center and No. 12 overall player in the class of 2016, while 247 Sports has him ranked as the No. 20 overall prospect.

Speaking of, Bolden's 247 Sports Crystal Ball has the Kansas Jayhawks as the favorite, but UK is making a strong push with five straight picks, including Meyer's. A big reason why is Cal's success with big men at Kentucky, something Bill Self hasn't exactly done at Kansas.

"I’ve heard from a couple of sources that I trust that that’s where he’s likely going to end up," Meyer said. "There’s been great success with big guys at Kentucky," he said. "And, this is just me speculating, but you haven’t seen that same kind of success at Kansas with their freshman bigs recently. ... I can’t see how that’s not a factor, and you know that’s part of the recruiting talk that’s going on."

OU's hopes probably hinge on:
- Opportunity for immediate playing time with Ryan Spangler leaving.
- His friendship with Kam McGusty plus several other familiar Texas area players on OU's roster (James, Odomes, Grandstaff, Lattin, McNeace)
- Respect for Lon Kruger and his staff

Marques said in an interview in early December that his decision would probably by made in a few weeks. Since then he has kind of gone underground and not said much.

Nice breakdown on the possibilities for Bolden's services, usedtobe1!

Like you, I will continue to hope he picks OU in the end. I'm also a realist when I look at the list of suitors he has to choose from. As you pointed out, though, there are some positives on OU's side of the ledger that makes me at least semi-optimistic Marques will cast his lot with the Sooners. He would be a great get, that's for sure!

Look at the impact that Diallo hasnt had for KU. He was a 1st teamer and lottery pick supposedly, now he can barely crack the lineup.

Bolden is a 5. Spangler is more of 4 for us. Lattin and AK being the 5.

Look at the impact that Diallo hasnt had for KU. He was a 1st teamer and lottery pick supposedly, now he can barely crack the lineup.

Bolden is a 5. Spangler is more of 4 for us. Lattin and AK being the 5.

That would be my concern as well, he (Bolden) and Lattin are both much better at the 5. If you move Lattin to the 4, you lose the spacing you have with Spangler this year due to Lattin not being a shooting threat from out there.

Be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

That would be my concern as well, he (Bolden) and Lattin are both much better at the 5. If you move Lattin to the 4, you lose the spacing you have with Spangler this year due to Lattin not being a shooting threat from out there.

Be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

i would bet lattins range extends out to 15 18 feet next season ..

but either way I would guess lattin plays lots of 5 next year and we go with a stretch 4 at the other spot ..

Freeman wont start. IMO.

Guys stop setting these guys up for failure.

Freeman is really skinny and needs to gain weight. People need to temper their expectations some imo

Freeman wont start. IMO.

After watching a good deal of Freeman's NZ championship game someone posted earlier, I agree. He is a really good shooter/scorer, but he has a long way to go physically before he's ready to compete with Big 12 level bigs.

If Bolden signs with OU, he will be a starter next season at least by conference play...... 20+ minutes a game from day one. He probably starts at KU and maybe Kentucky.

With that said, I would be surprised if he picks the Sooners. Not shocked. Just surprised. It's a long shot.

Stretch 4 next year? Burford. I mean Buford HAHA. He has shown flashes and I haven't given up on him yet. What do they say about freshman year to soph year? Yeah he'll improve..

Freeman is really skinny and needs to gain weight. People need to temper their expectations some imo

sne0za.png

Freeman will get minutes next year but he won't start...Think Buford minutes this year.

I'm really rooting for Dante to put it all together. His shot seems to always be rushed, and he's not quite there yet on finishing around the basket. Once the game slows down for him, he'll be a very good player for us. Just hope he improves down the stretch and in the offseason. With Spangler gone, Buford's role will really increase.

As for Bolden, if he's a 2 year guy like Blake, he'll get solid minutes as a freshman and STAR as a sophomore. Plus that would give him a chance to play with Trae Young. I know I'm dreaming but it could happen...

Freeman wont start. IMO.

But if they don't place these unrealistic expectations on them, they wont have anything to complain about this time next year

Back