NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

Kyrie has turned into quite the whackjob (or maybe always was). That dude can ball, though. Alongside Lebron, they had arguably the great NBA Finals duo performance of all-time against the Warriors.

On that note, I'd like to point out that Kyrie has something that KD and Harden don't -- an NBA ring.

(when you join a 72-10 team and get a ring, you don't get to count it)

Several years ago, there was a lot of discussion about who the new "Kobe" was going to be. Many people were saying Harden, which made me want to absolutely vomit, as they share virtually no resemblance.

It embarrasses me to say this in hindsight, but I actually had Kyrie on that shortlist. I didn't expect him to ascend to that level of greatness, and he was never going to be as big/athletic or as good of a defender, but he showed glimpses of Mamba offensively. He genuinely felt he could beat anybody one-on-one and that no shot was too tough -- and when he was at his best, it was hard to question that belief. After that NBA Finals, I felt validated in my belief -- and when he proceeded to obnoxiously demand an ill-advised trade, I felt even more validated. He just never learned to take the game seriously enough (or the roundness of the Earth).

I also had Westbrook on that list, but that jump shot is too broken. I think Jimmy Butler has been the closest thing to a poor man's Kobe.

Kyrie has turned into quite the whackjob (or maybe always was). That dude can ball, though. Alongside Lebron, they had arguably the great NBA Finals duo performance of all-time against the Warriors.

On that note, I'd like to point out that Kyrie has something that KD and Harden don't -- an NBA ring.

(when you join a 72-10 team and get a ring, you don't get to count it)

I’d say when you are the best player on the planet, the ring counts. And that 73-9 team didn’t win the title.

Several years ago, there was a lot of discussion about who the new "Kobe" was going to be. Many people were saying Harden, which made me want to absolutely vomit, as they share virtually no resemblance.

It embarrasses me to say this in hindsight, but I actually had Kyrie on that shortlist. I didn't expect him to ascend to that level of greatness, and he was never going to be as big/athletic or as good of a defender, but he showed glimpses of Mamba offensively. He genuinely felt he could beat anybody one-on-one and that no shot was too tough -- and when he was at his best, it was hard to question that belief. After that NBA Finals, I felt validated in my belief -- and when he proceeded to obnoxiously demand an ill-advised trade, I felt even more validated. He just never learned to take the game seriously enough (or the roundness of the Earth).

I also had Westbrook on that list, but that jump shot is too broken. I think Jimmy Butler has been the closest thing to a poor man's Kobe.

Kobe said it would be Tatum or Booker. Tatum looks like he has leveled up. I would love to see him against the Greek Freak in a series....

I’d say when you are the best player on the planet, the ring counts. And that 73-9 team didn’t win the title.

In the words of Charles Barkley "it's different being the bus driver than a rider". KD was a rider with that team. He was their best player, but he hasn't led a team to a championship. When your the "best player on the planet" (I think he was too at that time) you don't leave to join the best team in the league and not expect your championship to be downplayed.

My favorite from Sir Charles:

"Just cause you the prettiest in a bunch of ugly girls don't make you the prom queen."

My favorite from Sir Charles:

"Just cause you the prettiest in a bunch of ugly girls don't make you the prom queen."

He's got some great ones. I love his last one on Kenny.

Kenny: "I gave my 2 rings to the people who helped me get them the most. I gave one to my dad, and one to my brother."

Charles: "You should've gave both to Hakeem."

He's got some great ones. I love his last one on Kenny.

Kenny: "I gave my 2 rings to the people who helped me get them the most. I gave one to my dad, and one to my brother."

Charles: "You should've gave both to Hakeem."

HAHA yep

Did Blake see the court in the playoffs?
Think he will be released in the off season and is his career at an end?

Did Blake see the court in the playoffs?
Think he will be released in the off season and is his career at an end?

Last 2 games he did. He's turned into a defensive/stretch big, which are 2 things he hasn't been great at. He's trying though, playing hard, & rebounding. He just doesn't have any explosiveness left, I bet he's close to being done, unless he's content being the 11-13th guy on a good team that has to step in during injuries.

I'll never understand why KD got (and continues to get) so much grief. Players chase rings all the time, in the NBA but also in the NFL and MLB. I have no horse in this race--I'm not a Thunder fan, but neither am I a fan of any other NBA team (save those who have former Sooners on their roster)--but OKC fans (including members of my family) have obsessed over KD ever since he left, with no sign of a let-up, and I just don't get why he gets singled out.

I'll never understand why KD got (and continues to get) so much grief. Players chase rings all the time, in the NBA but also in the NFL and MLB. I have no horse in this race--I'm not a Thunder fan, but neither am I a fan of any other NBA team (save those who have former Sooners on their roster)--but OKC fans (including members of my family) have obsessed over KD ever since he left, with no sign of a let-up, and I just don't get why he gets singled out.

Agree completely. I get why people were/are sad that he left, but to hear the criticism he gets, you'd think every other NBA star is still playing for the franchise that drafted them. I think KD has said and done a few silly things since he left OKC, but he gets bagged on far more than he deserves. It's not like he held out or demanded a trade within his first few seasons. He played nine seasons for the franchise, and ultimately decided to exercise his right to sign elsewhere as a free agent. Yeah, Golden State was already a great team, but he definitely wasn't just a bus rider in 2017. And he also showed a lot by playing through an injury in the '19 Final, risking the very serious injury that ultimately happened.

KD handled his departure extremely poorly and then cried and whined like a baby at any and all criticism. He's a superstar that acts like the last kid picked at recess. He deserves to go be a loser with Cry-ree Irving.

Edited to add: By the way, Ben Simmons is also perfect for that team. Just... chef's kiss perfect.

Last edited:
The Dodgers sign superstar free agents virtually every off-season and none of those players come in for criticism. The Yankees do the same (though with less success of late than the Dodgers).

The Dodgers sign superstar free agents virtually every off-season and none of those players come in for criticism. The Yankees do the same (though with less success of late than the Dodgers).

Baseball is a COMPLETELY different animal than basketball.

You will be hard pressed to find any okc fans that are still pissed that he left. It is the way he left. He drug the process out and led the THunder on until it was too late to recover. He also could have made sure the Thunder got something in return. Instead he went scortched earth.

And then add into the fact that the Thunder were up 3-1 vs one of the greatest teams of all time and ended up losing the series (not only because KD played poorly, but he was a big part of the collapse). And then to go this same team that just beat the Thunder....it's just weak. He valued getting an easy ring vs doing it the right way

I mean, all you have to do is go read nba legend's comments on his move.
His ring isn't worth anything

Trae Young’s season is over. Played very poorly in the series vs Miami.

Trae Young’s season is over. Played very poorly in the series vs Miami.

Yeah, it's not even May and there are no more NBA Sooners to root for. I feel like I'm back in the 2000s decade. Trae completely lost confidence in his shot in this series. Perhaps the pressure of performing to the level of his play in last year's postseason got to him, I don't know. Come November, I hope we get back the Trae who had the best season on any NBA Sooner EVER.

After the pleasantly surprise year from Austin Reeves, we will again likely have 4 NBA Sooners to root for next year. After seeing his passion in the last two games against the Celtics, I don't get the impression Blake wants to retire just yet. However, as a fan, it's not fun seeing a box score from a 6-time All-Star that reads something like: "Blake Griffin - DNP Coach's Decision".

Trae's season is over he had more turnovers than baskets made in the series. Ouch. Miami had a lot to do with that.

Back