NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

Perhaps the Laker should trace Lebron and rebuild. As he ages even more his value will go down.

no * at all ..

that said I am a lifelong Lakers fan and I don't like Lebron...
You know before he came to LA I didn't like him because he was the anti-Kobe to me. It was hard to appreciate him after decades of MJ(who I still hate), Magic/Bird(who I respect immensely), and then Shaq/Kobe and the Spurs guys. I thought he was soft and whined too much. Over the last few years, I learned to appreciate his cerebral approach to the game, and his off-the-court contributions to his community. When I learned he pretty much carried his HS best friends financially, and not by making it rain with them in the strip club, but by financing their college education, or giving them jobs inside his brand, I changed a little of my opinion. The guy grew up without a dad, and drug-addicted mom, and was handed the keys to the NBA as a teen. He's mostly a good character guy, and from what I can tell, is a good family guy.

I stopped comparing him to Kobe & MJ because IMO, he's a different level of player. Those guys were insane in their will to win, and it affected everything in their lives. LBJ is what I call a modern-day sports star, concerned with his brand as much as winning, and pretty big in the social media/Hollywood limelight. I can appreciate how he has lasted so long at such a high level, and I can appreciate the Cleveland team he won with and the Cleveland team he lost in the finals with. He's a freak athlete and will hold the most relevant records because of his high-level longevity, but I will never place him with the guys I mentioned.... he owned the East for a long time.

Eff the lakers.

All that hoopla around lebron and all they have to show for it is one asterisk championship in the Covid year. LOL

If his tenure is "LOL" then so are the last 38 years of Celtics basketball. That's how many titles they've won since 1986.

The Lakers have won 8 during that time period if you're curious.

Will the Celtics finally finish? Soon the same will start to be said about Tatum/Brown...;);)
Tatum (26) and Brown (27) are still relatively young. Lebron didn't win his first until he was 27.

If the Celtics get past Miami, I like their chances to make the Finals. Only team that really scares me there would be Denver. Our core will stay intact for a few more years, so if not this year, I like our chances of getting one soon.

You know before he came to LA I didn't like him because he was the anti-Kobe to me. It was hard to appreciate him after decades of MJ(who I still hate), Magic/Bird(who I respect immensely), and then Shaq/Kobe and the Spurs guys. I thought he was soft and whined too much. Over the last few years, I learned to appreciate his cerebral approach to the game, and his off-the-court contributions to his community. When I learned he pretty much carried his HS best friends financially, and not by making it rain with them in the strip club, but by financing their college education, or giving them jobs inside his brand, I changed a little of my opinion. The guy grew up without a dad, and drug-addicted mom, and was handed the keys to the NBA as a teen. He's mostly a good character guy, and from what I can tell, is a good family guy.

I stopped comparing him to Kobe & MJ because IMO, he's a different level of player. Those guys were insane in their will to win, and it affected everything in their lives. LBJ is what I call a modern-day sports star, concerned with his brand as much as winning, and pretty big in the social media/Hollywood limelight. I can appreciate how he has lasted so long at such a high level, and I can appreciate the Cleveland team he won with and the Cleveland team he lost in the finals with. He's a freak athlete and will hold the most relevant records because of his high-level longevity, but I will never place him with the guys I mentioned.... he owned the East for a long time.
I think LeBron is pretty clearly ahead of Kobe. I don’t think he is on MJ’s level, but even saying that, because of his size and physical dominance, he did some things MJ couldn’t. Of those three guys, only LeBron would have been able to drag that 2016 Cavs team to a championship.

Tatum (26) and Brown (27) are still relatively young. Lebron didn't win his first until he was 27.

If the Celtics get past Miami, I like their chances to make the Finals. Only team that really scares me there would be Denver. Our core will stay intact for a few more years, so if not this year, I like our chances of getting one soon.

If they were 10 years older they would ALMOST have been alive for two Celtics championships!

If the Celtics get past Miami, I like their chances to make the Finals. The only team that scares me there would be Denver. Our core will stay intact for a few more years, so if not this year, I like our chances of getting one soon.
I believe they match up pretty well with Denver, because they can throw Horford at Joker, and Porzingis can pull him out of the paint on defense. No one is stopping Joker, but they can win the other matchups. Holiday is an underrated defender, and can stay in front of Murray. Tatum and Brown will have to outplay Porter Jr, Gordon, etc. I believe the Celts have a better bench.

If Tatum & Brown were playing in the East a few years ago, I believe they would have multiple finals appearances. I agree they will win one soon. Just messing with you because you got on my Lakers.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I think LeBron is pretty clearly ahead of Kobe. I don’t think he is on MJ’s level, but even saying that, because of his size and physical dominance, he did some things MJ couldn’t. Of those three guys, only LeBron would have been able to drag that 2016 Cavs team to a championship.
Very interesting take. I'm probably biased because of my Kobe love.;) The fact most Lebron haters attack him by using Jordan's name is pretty telling of how good he is. I'd never thought about the point you made about the 2016 Cavs team. You are certainly right about Kobe not taking that team to the finals. LBJ provided just what they needed. I think he's been going at such a high level for so long, that many people forget how he dominated the East as a one-man fast break, rebounding and defending. He was virtually impossible to defend attacking the rim. He still plays at a high level, but his athleticism has certainly taken a hit. He gets criticized for needing help, but none of the other stars he's usually compared with won anything without a lot of help. The Celtic and Laker teams of Bird and Magic were loaded....

I'm just glad the Thunder don't have to play Denver or Minnesota till the Conference finals. Dallas/Clips have no real shot against the Thunder.

Back