*******Oklahoma (4-1) vs. #2 Wisconsin (6-0) Game Thread*******

Some positives from the game -

OU has some firepower off the bench with Walker & Bennett
Didn't collapse when down 15 early in the 2nd half
Good experience game for conference play

Anything else?

Long way to go to be able to compete with that type of team. We need to get a lot tougher to be able to compete -

1 - stronger with the ball

2 - stronger Finishing at the rim

3 - stronger on the boards

Starting guards 6 of 26 from the field.

Starters contribute 18 turnovers.

Bench outplayed starters.

Buddy contributes 4 baskets over the past two games including one 2 pointer.

Last edited:
OU has a high ceiling though. It's not some big slam saying they will or need to get better. It's not a physical limitations thing. More xp and a little tweaking with the offense and they will be vastly improved. It's more than just the normal progression through the season.

We didnt stay within 10 like I hoped, but there were still lots of things to be happy about. To me the biggest was their fight back early in the first half and some really good rebounding. Walker scored 7 straight to keep us in then the other guys seemed to get a second wind and they really picked it up. The defense was good - this was a hard group to defend. Lots to build on and a very good finish for OU in this loaded tourney field.

Guys, we need to put this into perspective. We are a good team. Wisconsin is set up to be a great team. This game should do nothing but help us in the future. I doubt we play a team anywhere near as complete as them this year (until the tourney). We need to take the positives from this tourney and finish off our non-conference schedule well. :OUbball-logo:

Some positives from the game -

OU has some firepower off the bench with Walker & Bennett
Didn't collapse when down 15 early in the 2nd half
Good experience game for conference play

Anything else?

We out-rebounded them for the game 35-32 although they closed the gap in the 2nd half. It looks like we will hold our own on the boards this year.

ISU, Texas, and maybe Kansas are the only teams we'll play near as good as Wisconsin, and they aren't in their class either.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

ISU, Texas, and maybe Kansas are the only teams we'll play near as good as Wisconsin, and they aren't in their class either.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

That's right and it's exciting because we can compete with anyone the B12.

Long way to go to be able to compete with that type of team. We need to get a lot tougher to be able to compete -

1 - stronger with the ball

2 - stronger Finishing at the rim

3 - stronger on the boards

I agree with all of your points, they are spot on with where we must get better. However, I'm certain I don't agree with your assertion that we "a long way from competing with that type of team". We did compete and to be honest, had we been able to do 1-3 of the things you mention, we not only compete, we win. I am now convinced after watchthing this game, and cooling off, that we are poised to be in the top 3 of the big 12. I believe that we might even knock off KU from their perch.

We actually played them pretty good except for the turnovers. That made a big difference.

Our defense was world class in the first half. I agree that our tough defense was what made them shoot that poor. We seemed to lose some of the intensity in the second half. Also slow getting back on D too many times.

A lot of our practice time has emphasized D. Our offense will catch up. We seem to be doing a lot of moving without making progress and we are too wild when we do penetrate. I really expect that to improve pretty fast before conference play.

The key in the second half was when we got within 9 and had at least 3 opportunities to close the gap and failed on all of the possessions. Then Kaminsky hit a trey and we didn't get any closer.

We should have played better. We have too many experienced players to make that many turnovers. But not a bad loss.

Back