Oklahoman: Sooners Look to Continue Streak

SoonerJK12

Reaction score
Sooners Look to Continue Streak
March 1st, 2015

After a ten game winning streak, the Oklahoma Sooner basketball team is sitting atop the Big 12 Conference race, tied with Kansas at 13-3. The blazing hot Sooners are headed into their final two regular season games with championship thoughts swirling in their heads, but they could be facing their toughest test yet. The last leg of their journey begins in Ames, Iowa on Big Monday against the second place Iowa State Cyclones (12-4), who are itching to climb back into the title talk.

Head coach for the Sooners, Lon Kruger, thinks his team has turned a corner and are ready for the challenge. "We're excited. I think our guys have really started to mesh-well offensively over the last several weeks. Earlier in the year, we weren't getting good looks when we needed them. But our guys have gotten better each practice and have worked hard."

And mesh they have. Offensively, Oklahoma has been as balanced as any team in the nation. TaShawn Thomas and Ryan Spangler are averaging over a combined 26 points and 18 rebounds a game since the start of February.

And you can't talk about one of the best offenses in the Big 12 without the proverbial player of year, Buddy Hield (24 pts, 5 reb/game), who is quick to share the accolades. "I have to credit my teammates for finding me in good spots. Ryan just attacks and Tay is so versatile that it opens up the floor for Isaiah and I to get looks. We just knock down open looks." But he has done more than just hit open shots. He creates for himself too, averaging 6 free throws attempts per game at 86% (3rd in the Big 12).

The efficient Sooners' biggest task, however, will be defending the up-tempo Cyclones, who average 84 points per game at home this season. Kruger is hoping for a repeat of their defensive performance in Norman earlier this year when they held the Cyclones to 66 pts (4/22 from 3pt range). "It will be a fun matchup between two good clubs. Both like to get up and down the floor. We were active defensively against them in Februrary, especially at the perimeter. We just have to make sure we do our job and limit turnovers and easy buckets defensively" said Kruger.

If the Sooners can pull off the victory tomorrow, and Kansas defeats West Virginia at home the following day, the Lloyd Noble Arena will host the defacto Big 12 Championship game on Saturday, March 7. Some might be surprised with the possibility of dethroning the perennial Big 12 champion Jayhawks, but not Buddy Hield. "I thought we would be right there at the end of season, so I'm not surprised. This was our goal. To be in this position. We just have to finish strong."

And it will take a lot of strength to spoil the Jayhawks 11th straight Big 12 title, that is if the Sooners can make it through Ames unscathed.

Great optimistic thread, but until we win a close game in the last 4 minutes I'm not a believer. With that said, hope you are right and I am wrong.

Great optimistic thread, but until we win a close game in the last 4 minutes I'm not a believer. With that said, hope you are right and I am wrong.

Yeah, if only we hadn't blown Texas and OSU out, and solidly handled Baylor, we could have some close victories.

I don't understand the point of giving the team demerits for blowout victories. I doubt anyone lamented destroying the Horns or Cowboys during the game suggesting that we keep it close in order to provide the team a better test.

Yeah, if only we hadn't blown Texas and OSU out, and solidly handled Baylor, we could have some close victories.

I don't understand the point of giving the team demerits for blowout victories. I doubt anyone lamented destroying the Horns or Cowboys during the game suggesting that we keep it close in order to provide the team a better test.

Not discounting blowouts, but would like to see us win a close one that we are in. We haven't this year.

Well, I was a little off on my predictions, but at lease we have a chance here at the end of the season!

Oh good, before I read this headline I thought the Sooners weren't looking to keep winning.

Back