OU @ #9 Texas Tech on ESPN+

There are ongoing convos in other threads how Alondes Williams, who was clearly misused by Lon and is now an All-American candidate at Wake Forest isn't that big a deal.... and how Jacob Groves is an NBA prospect.

Alondes improves this team tremendously. We need a guy who can get buckets and he can. Manek would be nice too.

The announcers were talking about how we have a chance to right the ship in an emotional Bedlam matchup on Saturday, and sadly, I don't think it'll be emotional at all. Not only will it almost certainly be a terrible atmosphere for an early game against two below-.500 teams.... but I think a downside of the transfer portal is that rivalries can mean less. We only have two (contributing) guys on this team who are from Oklahoma at all, and one of them spent four seasons playing in Texas. I think there's a reason why guys like Andrew Jones have gone off against us this year. The rivalry means something to them. Meanwhile, I don't know if any of these current Sooners care at all that Boone referred to us as "little brother."

Without Harkless,ou losing to osu wouldn’t be some big upset. Even with harkless this team is not as talented as osu, as a matter of fact.

It's sad because we aren't even at the point where we can discuss how good coaching and execution can propel us to beat another sub .500 basketball team.

Totally agree. But Moser will have some very tough personnel decisions to make. Or, maybe it shouldn't be?

Something tells me that he won't have to make a whole lot of decisions. I could see a mass exodus of players on their own.

Something tells me that he won't have to make a whole lot of decisions. I could see a mass exodus of players on their own.

Yeah but you hope it's the right ones. I think Moser and the Groves brothers are pretty thick. Moser since he signed has bent over backward to extoll the virtues of JGroves.

Yeah but you hope it's the right ones. I think Moser and the Groves brothers are pretty thick. Moser since he signed has bent over backward to extoll the virtues of JGroves.

This is evident by the fact Jacob plays so many minutes over a much better CJ.

Some of you are wondering if Jacob Groves should be in the rotation. What about Tanner? 5 points and 1 rebound. Yikes.

They stink as players , and the coach hyped them up as our best/better players in the media.

Last edited:
This is evident by the fact Jacob plays so many minutes over a much better CJ.

Yeah but Noland appears to me at least to have a terrible attitude. He doesn't look happy at all. The more I watch this team it looks like a complete purge and cleanse is needed. I love our 3 signees and i'd keep Hill. If Harkless came back that'd be ok in a different role. I know some younger guys need more of a chance but dang show me something.

Hate to say it but Moser may need to do almost what he did last year(sign a ton of new guys) except better obviously. If he signed a bunch of HS guys and some young portals i'd be willing to go through another semi-rebuilding year as long as they IMPROVED from Nov to Mar and really looked like they were building something..

Yeah but Noland appears to me at least to have a terrible attitude. He doesn't look happy at all. The more I watch this team it looks like a complete purge and cleanse is needed. I love our 3 signees and i'd keep Hill. If Harkless came back that'd be ok in a different role. I know some younger guys need more of a chance but dang show me something.

Hate to say it but Moser may need to do almost what he did last year(sign a ton of new guys) except better obviously. If he signed a bunch of HS guys and some young portals i'd be willing to go through another semi-rebuilding year as long as they IMPROVED from Nov to Mar and really looked like they were building something..

His attitude is probably bad because he’s playing behind someone who he’s better than. He will have a better college career than Jacob Groves, but it may end up not being at OU.

As for a roster revamp, I don’t trust Moser. Goldwire has used OU as a platform to take the shots he wasn’t allowed to shoot at Duke. The Groves weaknesses have been well documented . His assistant who uses signing Ben Simmons for at “LSU” as a feather in his hat, brought in Malwein and Marv. Two guys who don’t play. The assistant has a million dollar contract…...

I was just looking over the box score. We missed 28 shots and rebounded exactly 1 of them. One offensive rebound. That’s inexcusable. I don’t care how untalented you are as a team you should not be held to one offensive rebound in a game in which you miss 28 shots. I thought the game was bad but that makes me think it was worse than bad.

His attitude is probably bad because he’s playing behind someone who he’s better than. He will have a better college career than Jacob Groves, but it may end up not being at OU.

As for a roster revamp, I don’t trust Moser. Goldwire has used OU as a platform to take the shots he wasn’t allowed to shoot at Duke. The Groves weaknesses have been well documented . His assistant who uses signing Ben Simmons for at “LSU” as a feather in his hat, brought in Malwein and Marv. Two guys who don’t play. The assistant has a million dollar contract…...

Did any other schools want the portals guys Moser signed? I've always been curious about that.

All three signees are really highly ranked. That's what I at least am kind of holding onto right now as far as the future is concerned. Bottom line is we're going to see what kind of recruiters Moser and his staff are. The next 4-6 months are going to be crucial. Fall signing class was really good, but to borrow one of his quotes, he needs to "stack" some more, starting in a few months.

It’s hard to compare cj and younger groves. They play different positions. CJ is probably the better overall player but can you have him guarding a PF. Younger groves is 6-8 and can at least guard PF. CJ should be playing more, just not sure plugging him in to Jacob minutes is the answer.

Did any other schools want the portals guys Moser signed? I've always been curious about that.

All three signees are really highly ranked. That's what I at least am kind of holding onto right now as far as the future is concerned. Bottom line is we're going to see what kind of recruiters Moser and his staff are. The next 4-6 months are going to be crucial. Fall signing class was really good, but to borrow one of his quotes, he needs to "stack" some more, starting in a few months.

Tanner narrowed his choices down to OU, Texas, Washington State, and Portland. Goldwire reportedly heard from Texas Tech, BYU, Wichita State, Oregon State, and Utah. Arkansas, Ohio State, and Georgia were reported to be the finalists for Johnson. And Arky was our main competitor for Mawein IIRC. Can’t remember on Jacob. I do remember him saying that he appreciated the fact that Moser didn’t recruit him as a package deal with Tanner, but I have to think Tanner’s decision played a big part in his choice.

Tanner narrowed his choices down to OU, Texas, Washington State, and Portland. Goldwire reportedly heard from Texas Tech, BYU, Wichita State, Oregon State, and Utah. Arkansas, Ohio State, and Georgia were reported to be the finalists for Johnson. And Arky was our main competitor for Mawein IIRC. Can’t remember on Jacob. I do remember him saying that he appreciated the fact that Moser didn’t recruit him as a package deal with Tanner, but I have to think Tanner’s decision played a big part in his choice.

Interesting, thank you.

I will start off by saying I hope CJ does not transfer. My wish as a fan is to see freshman stick with it and get better year to year. But, if his attitude is so bad where fans are noticing it, then I hope the door doesn't hit him on the way out if he decides to go. I get frustration, but he is just a freshman. He's not Hield or Young. But, I guess, if he wants, he can transfer down a level and have a decent career somewhere else. See Phipps or Bienemy.

And I'm willing to give the coaches a pass on Johnson. It was obviously a risk bringing him in, but it's not too much to ask for an adult to get his crap straight and play basketball from the get go. It took him till January to get to a point where Moser could play him, then he got hurt. We'll never really know what he could have done. I think Mawein could be a player if he puts in the work in the offseason.

Interesting, thank you.

You bet. It was a good question because it prompted me to look up that info and now I remember why I was excited about each of the guys we got, as they all had at least a couple very good programs in the mix. It just feels like maybe they have been miscast at OU. Goldwire is best suited as a complimentary player, and Tanner needs better pieces around him so his weaknesses can’t be so easily exploited. I hope Mawein gets opportunities the next couple weeks because I thought he played reasonably well when Chag was hurt. And Johnson … if dude had his stuff together all season, who knows what he might have done.

Back