Rice giving Texas all they want

thebigabd

Reaction score
59-54 Texas with 7:00 to go.

Texas is 4-16 from the 3pt line.

It's nice to know that a team more highly-touted than our own is having trouble from the 3-point line.

If we could just get better at fundamentals.....

Their outside game is definitely better than last year. Man they are powerfull in the interior. Brown is going to give many coaches headaches before he is done.

All that being said, I think UT is a sweet sixteen type team. Barnes consistently recruits better than anyone in the big 12 but never seems to get that far in post season play for the type of talent he fields.

Pittman looks like he might be in the best shape of his career. Having him more minutes should help them considerably.

I think UT will be good enough from the perimeter that teams can't sag off like last year.

Their outside game is definitely better than last year. Man they are powerfull in the interior. Brown is going to give many coaches headaches before he is done.

All that being said, I think UT is a sweet sixteen type team. Barnes consistently recruits better than anyone in the big 12 but never seems to get that far in post season play for the type of talent he fields.

Pittman looks like he might be in the best shape of his career. Having him more minutes should help them considerably.

I think UT will be good enough from the perimeter that teams can't sag off like last year.

Debatable. :)

I think Barnes gets the most out of his recruiting situation than any other coach in the Big 12 including Travis Ford.

I don't know Cheno. You got to admit Barnes has had some serious talent roll through there and not much to show for it.

I don't know Cheno. You got to admit Barnes has had some serious talent roll through there and not much to show for it.

No, I'm being serious. I think given each schools situation that Barnes has done the most in recruiting year in and year out. But yes, he's had some teams underachieve. Nothing glaring though IMO. What he has 2-3 Elite 8's and a FF4 and not any huge upsets that I can recall. Certainly no pattern of it.

Last edited:
No, I'm being serious. I think given each schools situation that Barnes has done the most in recruiting year in and year out. But yes, he's had some teams underachieve. Nothing glaring though IMO. What he has 2-3 Elite 8's and a FF4 and not any huge upsets that I can recall. Certainly no pattern of it.

I can't recall any Bradley type slip ups (just poking you a little) but there have been years that I thought he could of advanced much farther with the talent he had. Maybe he just out recruits himself. Several of his players have bolted early for the NBA. That is a hard scenario because of continuity issues.

Barnes best recruits are usually one and done.....Durant, Aldridge. This year he has a core group of solid vets to go with the first year talent and that should help him get deeper into the tournament. As an example, how far would KU have gone two years ago if some of those guys had left early....and many thought they would. Or, what if Aldrich and/or Collins had gone NBA last year. Would they be as highly touted now?

Barnes best recruits are usually one and done.....Durant, Aldridge. This year he has a core group of solid vets to go with the first year talent and that should help him get deeper into the tournament. As an example, how far would KU have gone two years ago if some of those guys had left early....and many thought they would. Or, what if Aldrich and/or Collins had gone NBA last year. Would they be as highly touted now?

Barnes has recruited the highest level of recruits but this is the first time he's come close to having the same type of overall talent at KU. A lot of that is the fact that those guys were one or two and done but it's also because the 3/4/5 recruits in those classes were typically 3 star guys so he didn't quite have the roster stacked as much past those couple guys.

Texas seems to be a slow starting team that finishes strong.

Texas seems to be a slow starting team that finishes strong.

Yeah, and it's saved them that they basically haven't played a real good team yet. The bottom line is the only difference between OU and UT's start is UT having James and Pittman plus a couple returning bench guys. UT would be in the same place if they were depending on Brown/Bradley/Hamilton the way OU is depending on their freshman.

Barnes hasn't won a championship yet, but he has reached something like 8 straight Sweet Sixteens....that's pretty solid.

Barnes hasn't won a championship yet, but he has reached something like 8 straight Sweet Sixteens....that's pretty solid.

I think he is the best coach in the Big 12 right now. He is the total package. I hope that Capel can turn out very similar to Barnes (but with some FFs :))

Do what? Just in the last 5 years he's only made two. You must be thinking of someone else.

Do what? Just in the last 5 years he's only made two. You must be thinking of someone else.

LOL. No kidding. Barnes is a good coach and a great recruiter but it isn't like he's been setting the world on fire on the actual court.

But blh said that their outside shooting is fine.

It is fine, what's your point.

FT's are what they better work on.

I'm just happy to be watching such a great team. And I do believe the shooting is just fine. If you think it's a weakness so be it. I'm enjoying all the weakness.

Should I bring up what you and other cats said about ou players and the ou team. Knawl, there is no need for that.

Back