Sooners in the Pros: 2016-17

tmeyer3307

Reaction score
Buddy Last Night!

Any of you watch? Free league pass for a week so I'm going to try and catch all of their games. He didn't play as much as I thought he would and you could tell he was pretty amped up. His first 3 shots were so so ugly and long. Finished with 4 points and 3 assist in 17 minutes. Both Denver and New Orleans are really not good at all. Could be a long season for the Pelicans especially if Evans and Holiday are out longer than a month.

Re: Buddy Last Night!

I did not watch, but Anthony Davis had a great start with 50 points, 16 rebounds, seven steals, five assists and four blocked shots. Wow! Buddy has an opportunity, as the Pelicans need somebody (anybody) to step up and add some help.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/anthon...le-and-the-pelicans-still-lost-032113031.html

First-round pick Buddy Hield struggled in his pro debut, missing six of his eight shots in 17 minutes, and top free-agent signing Solomon Hill went just 1-for-7 from the field with four fouls and two turnovers in 27 punch-devoid minutes. With secondary contributions lacking, Davis’ heroics in helping the Pelicans cut a 14-point deficit down to just two points in the final minute came up short, getting New Orleans off to a sour start to the new year.

Ultimately, the contest and result offer a thumbnail sketch of the present-day state of the Pelicans: a team with one transcendent talent capable of doing absolutely everything on the basketball court, surrounded by a cast of characters that seems to lack enough capable contributors to rise up and reach its leader’s level.

Just my take from watching the preseason and the first regular season game.

Basically Davis will shoot 30-40 times a game this year and that is their best chance at winning any games!

PG Frazier is a decent pg that can defend and plays hard, but not a real shooting threat. Holiday will help when he returns

SG Hield/Moore- I think that combination could be very good in the long run. Moore defends well and can hit the open shot!

SF Stephenson/Hill looks like a good athletic wing defender, but I don't know if he can ever score more than 10-12 a game. They invested a lot of money into him. Stephenson is just crazy at times and doesn't seem to pass it on time.

PF Davis/Jones- Watching Jones last night he seemed very selfish with the ball as well! Buddy was open several times and Jones would not give it up. Drove me crazy.

C Asik/Ajinca-Asik is just soo so bad! Not athletic not a great defender. Ajinca has a chance to steal all the minutes here. Davis will play a lot at the 5 with this team and they can play smaller with Cunningham or Jones at the 4.

Just my take from watching the preseason and the first regular season game.

Basically Davis will shoot 30-40 times a game this year and that is their best chance at winning any games!

PG Frazier is a decent pg that can defend and plays hard, but not a real shooting threat. Holiday will help when he returns

SG Hield/Moore- I think that combination could be very good in the long run. Moore defends well and can hit the open shot!

SF Stephenson/Hill looks like a good athletic wing defender, but I don't know if he can ever score more than 10-12 a game. They invested a lot of money into him. Stephenson is just crazy at times and doesn't seem to pass it on time.

PF Davis/Jones- Watching Jones last night he seemed very selfish with the ball as well! Buddy was open several times and Jones would not give it up. Drove me crazy.

C Asik/Ajinca-Asik is just soo so bad! Not athletic not a great defender. Ajinca has a chance to steal all the minutes here. Davis will play a lot at the 5 with this team and they can play smaller with Cunningham or Jones at the 4.

They still have Tyreke Evans right? He'll take over the SF position, and hopefully Stephenson never sees the floor.

Yes they do! Expected him to return in a month I believe. He can play anywhere really so that's good!

I won't sugar-coat it. Buddy needs to beat out E'Tawn Moore. As the 6th overall pick, their fan base will be extremely disappointed (and rightfully so) if by late in the year Buddy cannot overtake a journeyman veteran who has a career 5 PPG average. I know Buddy is giving it his all, and that should always be good enough for the OU fans. He's such an inspiration and positive role model, and anyone would be hard-pressed to root against this guy. We just need the Pelicans to see the Buddy Hield we saw all last year.

Agree with you! I would bet he does. It will just take time for him to adjust to not being the GUY and not being able to score 27 every night. My guess is that he is starting by Christmas.

I won't sugar-coat it. Buddy needs to beat out E'Tawn Moore. As the 6th overall pick, their fan base will be extremely disappointed (and rightfully so) if by late in the year Buddy cannot overtake a journeyman veteran who has a career 5 PPG average. I know Buddy is giving it his all, and that should always be good enough for the OU fans. He's such an inspiration and positive role model, and anyone would be hard-pressed to root against this guy. We just need the Pelicans to see the Buddy Hield we saw all last year.

Nailed it. I think Buddy will beat him out!

I can see Buddy being the player from freshman year if Davis is the scoring machine. Like a 10/4/4 kind of guy. Formidable starter but maybe not an all-star type player. He should be able to shoot the ball better, and I think we can chalk that up to first NBA game nerves

Blake Griffin

27 and 13 not a bad start to the season! Looks like he has lost some weight and was all over the place last night. Wish the Clippers games didn't get over at 12:30 every night.

Re: Blake Griffin

image.png

Buddy had some games last year when he would miss his first five 3's and then make six of his last seven or something crazy. As an NBA rookie he may not have the opportunity to stay in and keep shooting like that, especially with a star like Davis on his team.

Buddy had some games last year when he would miss his first five 3's and then make six of his last seven or something crazy. As an NBA rookie he may not have the opportunity to stay in and keep shooting like that, especially with a star like Davis on his team.

Thats true. But he'll also have some games where he starts out hot, and they'll ride it through a few misses in-game in hopes that he continues a generally good shooting night

I think we'll see some games where Buddy scores 30, and some where he scores 4... probably more of the latter

27 and 13 not a bad start to the season! Looks like he has lost some weight and was all over the place last night. Wish the Clippers games didn't get over at 12:30 every night.

Blake and his trainers have changed philosophy on his workouts the last two years. They are not doing much heavy lifting if any as the NBA season is too long and doesn't really allow for a strength phase of lifting.

I agree he looks skinnier but I thought he looked skinnier last year after he came back from the injury, which had to alter his ability to lift his upper body also.

He was too bulky for sure the last year or two! Hope he can average 25-10 this season and be NBA all first team! :)

Warriors/Pelicans game tonight

For those who may not know, the Pelicans play host to the Warriors tonight at 8:30 central on ESPN.

This will be a tough test for Buddy's team, even on their home floor. But I'm looking forwarding to seeing him on television. I only hope the real "Buddy Buckets" will show up tonight.

Re: Warriors/Pelicans game tonight

The NBA League Pass is offering a free trial week ending after the games next Tuesday, Nov 1. The Pelicans play at San Antonio on Saturday and host Milwaukee on Tuesday. I have DirecTV and the SA game is on channel 216 and the Bucks game is on 758 or 759.

You can also watch Blake and the Clippers.

Can't standing watching the Pelicans! Stephenson and Terrance Jones never never pass the ball.

Can't standing watching the Pelicans! Stephenson and Terrance Jones never never pass the ball.

true. that team is a mess. I feel bad for buddy.

Back