TexasHoops updated rankings

Baylor is on TV plenty. They have a good school in a great strategic location for recruiting purposes- close to Houston/San Antonio/Austin/Dallas. They can compete for big 12 and national championships.

I know MBB and Football are king. But Baylor has won national championships in WBB, track and tennis in the last 5 years. They have been to the CWS recently. There is no reason they cannot excel at a high level like other top private schools around the country- Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame, BYU, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Xavier to name a few.

They had the #2 pick in the NFL draft this year- Jason Smith. Everyone knows Jeremy Wariner and Michael Johnson because of their Olympic success. They have top notch facilities. Smaller school has more of a family feel than larger state universities. I'm close to the situation, trust me Baylor has a lot to sell.

good points.

counterpoint: an absolute terrible fanbase. sorry, it's just true.

Baylor is on TV plenty. They have a good school in a great strategic location for recruiting purposes- close to Houston/San Antonio/Austin/Dallas. They can compete for big 12 and national championships. I know MBB and Football are king. But Baylor has won national championships in WBB, track and tennis in the last 5 years. They have been to the CWS recently. There is no reason they cannot excel at a high level like other top private schools around the country- Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame, BYU, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Xavier to name a few.

They had the #2 pick in the NFL draft this year- Jason Smith. Everyone knows Jeremy Wariner and Michael Johnson because of their Olympic success. They have top notch facilities. Smaller school has more of a family feel than larger state universities. I'm close to the situation, trust me Baylor has a lot to sell.

They will have to prove it because their history says otherwise.

When it comes to basketball, they should not be mentioned in the same paragraph as Duke.

They will have to prove it because their history says otherwise.

When it comes to basketball, they should not be mentioned in the same paragraph as Duke.

or Standford and Georgetown for that matter.

good points.

counterpoint: an absolute terrible fanbase. sorry, it's just true.

No doubt- the fanbase for men's basketball is bad but improving. With basketball it is all a function of consistent winning. If Drew strings together a couple more 20 win seasons and knocks off an OU, UT or KU at home the fans will come out of the woodwork.

For example, Baylor's women's basketball team was 12th in the country in attendance last year. They have built a loyal fan base based on Mulkey's consistent winning success. Drew will do the same if he wins and has upper tier finishes in the big 12.

I went to a game at Cameron Indoor in 1983 against Maryland. Now Duke had a good basketball history before Coach K took over (Mike Gminski and Gene Banks in the late 1970s). But Coach K started at Duke with a whimper. 83 if memory serves me right they had a losing record. The arena against Maryland was probably 2/3 full. Duke had Johnny Dawkins, Mark Alarie and Jay Bilas so they didn't lack talent.

Fast forward 25 years and it is very difficult to get a ticket to a Duke game. It is all about consistent winning.

I am not saying Baylor is like Stanford, Georgetown or Duke. I should have thrown Wake Forest in there as another comparison. I am saying that Baylor has the potential to become like those programs because they:

1. have a school that is well respected academically around the country.
2. exist in a fertile recruiting area of the country for athletes.
3. play in one of the top 5 conferences and offer exposure.
4. every school probably has these, but they have some big money donors that like Boone at OSU have the capability to pour multiple millions into facilities: Hurd (CEO of HP); Simpson (CEO of Cross Timbers); McLane (Astros owner) and Turner (CEO of Dr Pepper bottling).

No doubt- the fanbase for men's basketball is bad but improving. With basketball it is all a function of consistent winning. If Drew strings together a couple more 20 win seasons and knocks off an OU, UT or KU at home the fans will come out of the woodwork.

For example, Baylor's women's basketball team was 12th in the country in attendance last year. They have built a loyal fan base based on Mulkey's consistent winning success. Drew will do the same if he wins and has upper tier finishes in the big 12.

I went to a game at Cameron Indoor in 1983 against Maryland. Now Duke had a good basketball history before Coach K took over (Mike Gminski and Gene Banks in the late 1970s). But Coach K started at Duke with a whimper. 83 if memory serves me right they had a losing record. The arena against Maryland was probably 2/3 full. Duke had Johnny Dawkins, Mark Alarie and Jay Bilas so they didn't lack talent.

Fast forward 25 years and it is very difficult to get a ticket to a Duke game. It is all about consistent winning.

I am not saying Baylor is like Stanford, Georgetown or Duke. I should have thrown Wake Forest in there as another comparison. I am saying that Baylor has the potential to become like those programs because they:

1. have a school that is well respected academically around the country.
2. exist in a fertile recruiting area of the country for athletes.
3. play in one of the top 5 conferences and offer exposure.
4. every school probably has these, but they have some big money donors that like Boone at OSU have the capability to pour multiple millions into facilities: Hurd (CEO of HP); Simpson (CEO of Cross Timbers); McLane (Astros owner) and Turner (CEO of Dr Pepper bottling).

DFW: you are famous over at BaylorFans.com! I am proud of you. That site is awful though with the upteen ads and the slow load times. If I have to view that one ad with the spikey hair dude and the nerdy girl one more time....

What is that other Baylor site that you mentioned a couple of weeks ago that talks recruiting and stuff?

Back