TexasHoops updated rankings

elmocarp

Reaction score
SIAP...Interesting that he jumped Perry Jones up to #3. Gotta wonder why he had him so low before. Still not a lot of love for Washburn or Alexander. Anyway, here's the link...

It's amazing how many of the top players that Baylor is in on.

Nice to see a future Sooner at the #2 spot, and hopefully the top two on this list if we get Cam Clark.

OU has made some serious noise in recruiting Texas since Capel arrived. I love our strategy of developing a solid foundation close to home and then building around it by recruiting to our needs from other parts of the country.

Thanks for posting, Elmo!

funny that UT hasn't offered Clark. the needless pomposity and "elite" image management. UCLA offered, they've been pretty good over the years and apparently not too hung up on offering a 5 star guy.

funny that UT hasn't offered Clark. the needless pomposity and "elite" image management. UCLA offered, they've been pretty good over the years and apparently not too hung up on offering a 5 star guy.

He's offered.

Is Jones' verbal to Baylor solid?

yes- very solid. Mom is a pastor at a church. Kansas has been hard after Perry and he hasn't wavered. He is good friends with Bakari Turner who is #25 on that list- read into that what you will.

Baylor has only 3 scholarships to give. And my guess is that Pressey or Scott will be the two guys that they are targeting for that last scholarship. I would bet Pressey ends up there. It seems like a good fit for him with playing time; private Christian school (parents favor that environment); lots of athletic bigs (Jones, Udoh, Jefferson, Acy, Anthony Jones, Dragan Sekelja) and skilled wings (Dennis, Lace Dunn, Crump, McLaughlin) to make Pressey look good.

This McLaughlin kid looks pretty smooth. The reports from Waco is that is he a baller. Here is some video from one of his games two years ago. He's improved a lot since then, but you can get a flavor:

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1119/631472.wmv

Last edited:
It's amazing how many of the top players that Baylor is in on.

They offer everyone with a pulse.

hoopster,

I think Phil would have a better shot at the next level playing at Mizzou. They would showcase his talents really well in that system.

You act like Baylor is going to be really good or something in the future. I don't see them overtaking OU, Texas, or OSU in the south anytime soon (see recruiting). I also don't see any clear cut signs that you will even be better than A&M.

I also wonder what Drew will do when the first big job opens up (Please don't cite Memphis because that was a trainwreck waiting to happen).

I don't see them overtaking OU, Texas, or OSU in the south anytime soon (see recruiting). I also don't see any clear cut signs that you will even be better than A&M.

They are recruiting very well... I think their recruiting is better than OSU and A&M's right now.

They are recruiting very well... I think their recruiting is better than OSU and A&M's right now.

We shall see. I really don't think much of Jones, Crump, Jefferson, or A. Jones. Turgeon has got a chance to put together a really good class this year (already has Branch for next year).

I am not sure how far OSU will drop in the 2009 rankings after losing Karron, but it will still have them right there with Baylor.

Then there is the Drew coaching factor....it is a big year for him to try and improve in that area.

We shall see. I really don't think much of Jones, Crump, Jefferson, or A. Jones. Turgeon has got a chance to put together a really good class this year (already has Branch for next year).

I am not sure how far OSU will drop in the 2009 rankings after losing Karron, but it will still have them right there with Baylor.

Then there is the Drew coaching factor....it is a big year for him to try and improve in that area.

He's going to announce a coaching hire in August that will impress a lot of basketball purists. I think that will help him a lot in the development of players and game strategy.

I agree with ABD that Baylor is a step ahead of A&M and OSU as far as recruiting. Will that translate into being a step ahead in the wins column? We will see- I think it will.

I agree that Missouri also has a lot to offer Pressey and he may end up there or LSU. But if he signs in the early period, I think it is with Baylor. He was on Baylor's campus last week on an unofficial. Don Nelson and Donnie Nelson have a great relationship with Scott Drew. Nelson is influential with dad since Pressey played for him. Mom is a devout Christian. Dad may be also- don't know. The signs look good for Baylor- we'll see.

A&M losing Elonu and Oklahoma St losing Karron Johnson is a big opportunity for Baylor. Baylor should have an advantage against both of those teams with Udoh down low. It is a critical year for Drew and staff.

If they make the NCAAs, they have a lot of momentum heading into 2011 where they only lose Carter and Lomers. They will have Udoh and Dunn as seniors and potentially add Perry Jones and Pressey to that mix.

Are the first 2 pictures on TJ's page even him? They don't look anything like the second 2 pictures on his profile.

Oh by the way, congrats on the 4th star this early TJ!

Are the first 2 pictures on TJ's page even him? They don't look anything like the second 2 pictures on his profile.

Oh by the way, congrats on the 4th star this early TJ!

Yeah that is not him. Also the uniform of that kid says Bay Area Hoosiers.

a&m is recruiting really well in the 2010 and 2011 classes. and their 2009 class isn't getting the respect it deserves on message boards.

Apparently Drew and Co are impressive enough that they originally had WW's commit....they have REALLY nice facilities if you guys haven't seen their practice facilities they are top notch.....offices, the whole works. I took a little tour when they had Five Star camp there last year.

I still think there is some crooked stuff going on but their recruiting is very good right now.......they are building a solid program there........I disagree with a couple of guys here....recruiting is the most improtant part in it....if they keep recruiting like they have been they will be an upper-tier Big XII school in the very near future....definitely ahead of A&M and co.

SouthTXCoach and DFW...

What are you guys hearing about Julian Washburn?

sys- A&M signed 5 players in 2009. Ray Turner and Hibbert (Dematha) are the only two I see being good players from that group. You can look at the other offers and see that the other three were not highly coveted.

For 2010, they have Alexander and Tobi O committed. I think Tobi O is a great prospect. Alexander may be also, but I have my doubts on him. Soft and doesn't show great hoops IQ is the report I have received.

For 2011, they have one of the top players in the nation committed- Branch. Now he is a stud. He will likely elevate them for the one or two years he is there. But as of now, I think their talent is 5th in the big 12 south. Losing Elonu is a big deal.

Davis, Sloan, Roland, Holmes and Loubeau are nice players. But they don't strike fear in you. I see an NIT or on the fringe of the NCAA year for them.

SouthTXCoach- agree with what you said except the crooked part. Baylor would probably be landing some of these big targets if they were "bidding"- Warren, Arthur, Wall. They lead for these guys early in the process and then lose out at the end. I'm not saying anything illegal went on from OU's perspective on Warren. But the stories around Arthur and Wall are interesting.

I think you are right about recruiting being #1, #2 and #3 in the formula for success. Lots of coaches were not considered good coaches until they started landing elite players. If you are considering recruiting success alone, you would say the shake-out in the conference will be:

Super Elite- KU, UT, OU
Elite- KSU, Baylor
Very Good- Oklahoma St, A&M
Good- Missouri
Coaching Change Coming- Iowa St, Colorado, Neb, Texas Tech

Now perhaps Colorado or Iowa State can turn that ship the right direction but you have to be skeptical based on current recruiting. Tech has a tough road to hoe with the 5 teams ahead of them in the South.

Last edited:
this dfwhoopster guy is kind of a stud. i'am a baylor fan just for him. :clap

Back