Will rebounding determine who plays opposite of Tiny Gallon?

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
With Blake no longer around, I think we all agree that rebounding will be a concern this season. Jeff Capel's quote in a recent Sporting News article confirms that he is painfully aware that taking care of business on the boards will have to be a team effort:

"We're going to have to really gang rebound," Capel said. "If somebody wants to play -- become a really good rebounder."

http://www.sportingnews.com/college...bounds-are-biggest-concern-for-capels-sooners

The question is which player(s) will earn their minutes by banging down low and making an effort to fill a void left by the departure of Blake Griffin? With a lion's share of the scoring this season likely coming from our back court, putting points on the scoreboard may not be nearly as important as collecting rebounds. In fact, rebounding by the guards and wings may be key to our success this year, and it might factor into Coach Capel's decision in determining the starting lineup.

The message seems clear: If you want to play, work hard for rebounds and loose balls.

My money is on Andrew Fitzgerald to eventually earn at least starter-like minutes at the other post position. RW or Allen will be there to start the season, but I think Fitz will take over that spot if they don't get the job done on the boards. And, yes, I have taken defense into consideration as well.

There will also be an opportunity for Ray Willis and Steven Pledger to earn their way into the rotation for reasons outside of scoring points. Ray's length and athleticism could serve him well, if he's willing to make the effort. Steven has the size and strength, plus he was a good rebounding guard in high school, averaging 7.3 boards per game.

If rebounding is as important as Coach Capel has indicated and most of us believe, how do you see our starting lineup shaping up once the season gets underway?

Fitz is supposed to be a really good rebounder... I am sure the combo of Orlando, Wright, and Fitz will get the job done on the glass.

rebounding and defense will determine two critical positions on this year's team:

Starting post spot next to Tiny
6th man (most likely a wing)

I'm excited to see the battle between Ray Willis, Cade Davis, and Steven Pledger.

It wouldn't suprise me if K.Hardrick gets in some minutes as the season goes along. I think he can be a Patillo type rebounder. Starting late to practise with the team will hurt him a little bit, but I think he will a good utility player, he's long and he seems athletic. I can see him doing the dirty work and loving it.

Have they not already said that Hardrick would red-shirt?

Have they not already said that Hardrick would red-shirt?

They might have, I don't know for sure. But if rebounding becomes an issue and Kyle is working hard and practising well it, wouldn't suprise me if Capel pulls his red shirt. BUT I'm a Hardrick fan, so I want him to be good.

Back