'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

Our basketball program is on life support. Nobody cares. Nobody wants to step up and pay for it. We have wealthy donors but they don’t give a chit about basketball. The program is dying and we are struggling with a middling coach and less than ideal results. We can’t even make the tourney.

This sucks.

If this number is true, other sources have reported Arkansas is paying 5 yr at $8.5MM per, almost matching his UK pay.

That would mean $6.5MM a yr in NIL money?!?

And some on this board thinks PM’s NIL challenges are overrated and not the biggest factor on the current state of our program.
Have to assume it's his entire staff also, regardless that sounds like a big number and Cal is going to bring the kids in.

Our basketball program is on life support. Nobody cares. Nobody wants to step up and pay for it. We have wealthy donors but they don’t give a chit about basketball. The program is dying and we are struggling with a middling coach and less than ideal results. We can’t even make the tourney.

This sucks.

im not saying life support....

But...

TY, Blake Buddy, AR15 could fund it easily. 2-3 years of healthy donations and that money will grow if managed right.

Tim Duncan does it by himself at Wake or mostly himself.

This sucks.
I'm a little butthurt today because our softball team lost to Texas and our baseball team lost to OSU today, causing us to lose series to both schools. It's never good to lose to either of them in anything. I'm feeling a little sour tonight...your mileage may vary.

Our entire athletic department is struggling to adapt to the new world. We were already behind on facilities, then NIL became a thing. Oklahoma was once a pacesetter in college athletics. Now, not so much. We're not up a creek without a paddle, but we're not where we want or need to be.

We're not trying to just be good in football, but national championship-caliber. We're not there yet. We won 10 games last year playing in a weak Big 12, and we're moving to the SEC. All our eggs are being put into the football basket, 1) because that's our identity, and 2) it's the best way to keep the athletic department financially stable. That puts basketball, a once proud program with a Top 25 history, behind the 8 ball.

I'm a little butthurt today because our softball team lost to Texas and our baseball team lost to OSU today, causing us to lose series to both schools. It's never good to lose to either of them in anything. I'm feeling a little sour tonight...your mileage may vary.

Our entire athletic department is struggling to adapt to the new world. We were already behind on facilities, then NIL became a thing. Oklahoma was once a pacesetter in college athletics. Now, not so much. We're not up a creek without a paddle, but we're not where we want or need to be.

We're not trying to just be good in football, but national championship-caliber. We're not there yet. We won 10 games last year playing in a weak Big 12, and we're moving to the SEC. All our eggs are being put into the football basket, 1) because that's our identity, and 2) it's the best way to keep the athletic department financially stable. That puts basketball, a once proud program with a Top 25 history, behind the 8 ball.
Entire athletic department? I mean, going for four straight softball titles. Baseball played for the national championship two years ago. Golf and gymnastics are great. Women’s basketball is on a major upswing. Obviously not as many people care about those sports, and some on this board seem oddly hostile to any mention of the softball team, but the results say that the vast majority of our programs are thriving. Unfortunately, the two highest profile sports are not. NIL clearly plays a bigger role in those two sports, but is is also undeniable that the two head coaches have not exactly distinguished themselves yet. My guess is that our football team is in for a very long season. Even if the defense is as good as people expect (I’m not sold that it will be, but let’s assume it is), I think offense and special teams will hold us back. And as for basketball, I think that what we saw this season is likely the best we can hope for, and that will require us to land some very good players to make up for all the players we are losing. Otherwise, I think we will look more like the 2023-2023 squad.

My guess is that our football team is in for a very long season. Even if the defense is as good as people expect (I’m not sold that it will be, but let’s assume it is), I think offense and special teams will hold us back.
Not a shocker, Wichita hates SOUL Mission just as much as the culture wall.

Not a shocker, Wichita hates SOUL Mission just as much as the culture wall.
Pretty much. And UNCOMMON. All those cheesy, trite sayings and slogans drive me nuts when they get overpublicized and turned into hashtags and buzzwords. I’d rather have coaches who know when to go for it on fourth down, how to manage the clock, or how to actually have defense create offense as opposed to putting “DCO” on shirts.

Pretty much. And UNCOMMON. All those cheesy, trite sayings and slogans drive me nuts when they get overpublicized and turned into hashtags and buzzwords. I’d rather have coaches who know when to go for it on fourth down, how to manage the clock, or how to actually have defense create offense as opposed to putting “DCO” on shirts.
Appreciate the consistency, personally agree about the late game management TBC haha.

Not the place to go deep into that but if they can win 8-9 games ok with me given their schedule.

Entire athletic department? I mean, going for four straight softball titles. Baseball played for the national championship two years ago. Golf and gymnastics are great. Women’s basketball is on a major upswing. Obviously not as many people care about those sports, and some on this board seem oddly hostile to any mention of the softball team, but the results say that the vast majority of our programs are thriving. Unfortunately, the two highest profile sports are not. NIL clearly plays a bigger role in those two sports, but is is also undeniable that the two head coaches have not exactly distinguished themselves yet. My guess is that our football team is in for a very long season. Even if the defense is as good as people expect (I’m not sold that it will be, but let’s assume it is), I think offense and special teams will hold us back. And as for basketball, I think that what we saw this season is likely the best we can hope for, and that will require us to land some very good players to make up for all the players we are losing. Otherwise, I think we will look more like the 2023-2023 squad.

Football is in the dumps but baseball and women's basketball are thriving? Good grief. That's an absurd take.

Women's basketball hasn't been to the Sweet 16 in a decade.

Outside of one magical year, baseball has been garbage for a decade since we let Golloway slip away. We've missed the tourney more times than not and haven't made it out of regional outside the one magical run that hasn't been replicated.

Football on the other hand has been top 10 more times than not over the past decade, and would have been again had we played to win in the bowl game (playing our QB1 instead of a pass-heavy script to test our true freshman QB).

This Cal to Arky thing is absolutely nuts. I am in awe of how quickly it all happened. How fast Arkansas went from laughing stock with their search to, holy heck of a hit. We shall see how it plays out. If all the recruits follow...just wow

Also to add, UK not paying the 33m buyout was a big one. Arkansas just got Cal for free...(salary NIL no withstanding). Also they got a Cal with something to prove, which is dangerous. Cal post-NIL and leveling the playing field has been pretty meh and underwhelming. UK fans I am sure are happy that he is gone (majority of them perhaps).

Be really interesting to see who UK goes after. Some solid names that are likely off the market having just signed with new teams. Trying to think of a really good coach that has been a solid if unspectacular bball school, that they might could lure away.
UK can go after anyone they want .. doesn't matter if someone just signed a deal or not ..

very very few coaches would stay no ..

Can Cal bring Arky up to Kentucky level, we shall see. Bobby Knight at a later point in his career, ala Cal, was Ok but not great at Taco Tech.

UK can go after anyone they want .. doesn't matter if someone just signed a deal or not ..

very very few coaches would stay no ..
I disagree. A fresh buy out may not be something UK wants to deal with, and some coaches would have the integrity to not leave days/weeks after starting a new job. That may be a small list, but it I guarantee it isn't a list of zero.

I was doom-and-gloom last night because we're behind on NIL and facilities, especially in football and basketball. It didn't help that we just lost softball and baseball series to our two biggest rivals. We just watched BMDs from a neighbor and future conference rival go out and pay top dollar for a big-time basketball coach.

Our entire fan base has become softball fans. Nothing against the sport. I like Patty a lot. I love the way she runs her program. She recruits players people like who in turn dominate their opponents. This is why we've become softball fans...7 national championships will get you a lot of love, especially when the bellcow of the athletic department is going on 24 years without a natty. I'm also very happy they have their new ballpark. But now softball has also established the standard of the football program: national championship or bust.

I fear we're getting passed by in the two major revenue sports. I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

This Cal to Arky thing is absolutely nuts. I am in awe of how quickly it all happened. How fast Arkansas went from laughing stock with their search to, holy heck of a hit. We shall see how it plays out. If all the recruits follow...just wow
Their AD Hunter Yurachek saved his job with that one.

As long as the Tysons, etc. are willing to step up with NIL, the Hogs are going to be hard to deal with.

Back