'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

I was doom-and-gloom last night because we're behind on NIL and facilities, especially in football and basketball. It didn't help that we just lost softball and baseball series to our two biggest rivals. We just watched BMDs from a neighbor and future conference rival go out and pay top dollar for a big-time basketball coach.

Our entire fan base has become softball fans. Nothing against the sport. I like Patty a lot. I love the way she runs her program. She recruits players people like who in turn dominate their opponents. This is why we've become softball fans...7 national championships will get you a lot of love, especially when the bellcow of the athletic department is going on 24 years without a natty. I'm also very happy they have their new ballpark. But now softball has also established the standard of the football program: national championship or bust.

I fear we're getting passed by in the two major revenue sports. I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong.
I agree completely about the two major sports. And I agree that NIL is a factor. I just think in-game coaching and lack of player development for both programs have been bigger factors. It's obviously a subjective topic and one that can't be proven, but just watching the games and players over the past three seasons (two in BV's case), I can see major issues that I feel have absolutely nothing to do with NIL.

UK can go after anyone they want .. doesn't matter if someone just signed a deal or not ..

very very few coaches would stay no ..
They just fired a HOF coach because he had a couple early exits in the tournament, basically telling whoever they go after if you don't make deep runs the same thing is going to happen to you. Why would you give up a more stable environment like Drew has built at Baylor for that ? The game is different he has NIL there and loyalty.

I'm on the side that they're going to have to go down the list to find their coach because of how this went down. They're arrogant enough to think they can sway Hurley, a NE OG legend, just because they're Kentucky when Uconn has been the best program in the country the last 25 years.

UK can go after anyone they want .. doesn't matter if someone just signed a deal or not ..

very very few coaches would stay no ..
No inside info, and I saw the tweet about going after Hurley, but I’ve had a few of my friends suggest Nate Oats at Bama. That feels like an interesting option and Oats would definitely jump at the chance if offered

They just fired a HOF coach because he had a couple early exits in the tournament, basically telling whoever they go after if you don't make deep runs the same thing is going to happen to you. Why would you give up a more stable environment like Drew has built at Baylor for that ? The game is different he has NIL there and loyalty.

I'm on the side that they're going to have to go down the list to find their coach because of how this went down. They're arrogant enough to think they can sway Hurley, a NE OG legend, just because they're Kentucky when Uconn has been the best program in the country the last 25 years.
no they didn't ... Cal 100% did NOT get fired ...

but i do agree that Hurley is maybe one of the very few that would say no

No inside info, and I saw the tweet about going after Hurley, but I’ve had a few of my friends suggest Nate Oats at Bama. That feels like an interesting option and Oats would definitely jump at the chance if offered
my bet is they go after Billy Donovan first if he says no .. they get Oats ..

no they didn't ... Cal 100% did NOT get fired ...

but i do agree that Hurley is maybe one of the very few that would say no
He may not have gotten fired but pushed out ? If you're the name that they're likely to chase that has to give you pause. I agree Oates is a likely hire but man that's truly a cesspool down there.

Will Kentucky pay Oats' $18 million buyout? They could raise the money but will they. I think it'll be Scott Drew.
According to UK people in the know on Curry Hicks Sage's Twitter space last night, they already had $33 million raised for Cal's buyout, but the UK AD chose not to get rid of him.

If they want Nate Oats, they'll pay Bama $18 million to get him.

But I think the job is Scott Drew's if he wants it.

He may not have gotten fired but pushed out ? If you're the name that they're likely to chase that has to give you pause. I agree Oates is a likely hire but man that's truly a cesspool down there.
they would have owed him 34 mil to fire him ....

Not sure I'm convinced Drew would make that jump. Pretty sure Hurley wouldn't.

Oats seems like a "best bet" kind of selection. Not sure he is an elite coach, but he's a pretty darn good one. Funny how Bama goes to Buffalo to get their coach and they end up in the FF, but we go after the "hot" name in Porter Moser and can't even make the Dance.

Not sure I'm convinced Drew would make that jump. Pretty sure Hurley wouldn't.

Oats seems like a "best bet" kind of selection. Not sure he is an elite coach, but he's a pretty darn good one. Funny how Bama goes to Buffalo to get their coach and they end up in the FF, but we go after the "hot" name in Porter Moser and can't even make the Dance.

And Moser beat Oates by 30+ head to head. Moser has dominated the sec even with our low to mid nil budget.

And Moser beat Oates by 30+ head to head. Moser has dominated the sec even with our low to mid nil budget.
lol if you think that means anything.

That's like some scrub getting a hit off of Greg Maddux and acting like that means anything at all.

We have a larger sample size of games to look at, and Porter Moser has been found lacking.

So is the Sam Houston coach better than Moser?

I honestly can't wait to hear the spin when Moser finishes under .500 in the SEC over the course of 18 games rather than playing one or two noncon games a year.

lol if you think that means anything.

That's like some scrub getting a hit off of Greg Maddux and acting like that means anything at all.

We have a larger sample size of games to look at, and Porter Moser has been found lacking.
I can assure you, if I hit off of Maddux or struck out Tony Gwynn, I would be shouting it from the rooftops until the day I died.

lol if you think that doesn't mean anything.

In 3 years with Porter:
ConfWinsLossesWin%
Big10
2​
0​
100%​
Big East
2​
1​
67%​
SEC
6​
2​
75%​
Pac12
1​
0​
100%​

(And yes, @WichitaSooner , I do understand teams prepare for conference play and adjust)
So is the Sam Houston coach better than Moser?

I honestly can't wait to hear the spin when Moser finishes under .500 in the SEC over the course of 18 games rather than playing one or two noncon games a year.

Yes, he is. I am convinced.

Or at least some would say he is on here, right? (half-joking)

1 game is different than 8, but that is okay too.

Back