Missouri State at OU: 7:00 11/14

MIssouri State Starters:

G 22 Alexa Willard 6-2 Sr 56 PT, 11 REB, 7 Assists, 24-42 from field, 6-10 from three

G 23 Nya Bhinhar 5-9 Soph Owasso 20 PT, 8 REB, 15 Assists,

G 11 Brice Calip 5-8 Jr Sapulpa 38 PT, 7 REB, 6 Assists, 12-25 from field

F 32 Jasmine Franklin 6-1 Soph 19 PT, 30 REB,

C 50 Emily Gartner 6-4 Jr 18 PT, 12 REB

RESERVES

2 G Elle Ruffridge 5-3 Jr 33 PT

4 F Abby Hipp 6-2 Jr 24 PT

21 G Sidney Wilson 5-11 Soph 9 PT

34 G Sidney Manning 5-9 Soph Cashion High 4 PT

30 F Shameka Ealy 6-1 Sr

24 G Bri Ellis 5-7 Jr

12 F Sydney Schultz 6-2 Jr

41 F Trinity Knapp 6-2 Fr

Last edited:
I think we have played pretty well so far, but this one could be tough with their size. Having Stiles could be a benefit.

Yep and none of our 4 tallest players 6'4", 6'3", 6'3" and 6'2" start. And they are averaging only 8.5 m/g combined. 6'2" Liz Scott is still out with injury.

I don't think there is any doubt that Missouri State is a pretty good team. Beating the #23 team on the road in your first game would suggest that you can play ball.

But, they barely beat Boise State in Boise (72-69), and they had great difficulty against Oregon transfer Mallory McGwire (6-5) who hit them for 19 points and 17 rebounds. Going into the game, McGwire only had 21 points and 11 rebounds.

I'm not sure of this statement, but I think all of our opponents (including OCU) had out-rebounded their opponents coming into our game (OCU our-rebounded Ark, not A&M). Yet, we have out-rebounded both of our opponents.

I'm not sure who we are yet, nor am I sure that Missouri State is as good as they look. They did get to the Sweet Sixteen last year, beating Iowa State to get there. They beat the teams in their conference solidly, but weren't that productive in their non-conference schedule. I was a bit surprised at their NCAA performance.

Last year, we would have lost to UAB (which we did). We are better this year. We may find out a bit more against Missouri State. I think we should play the game before surrendering.

I am curious as to how much time Amanda spends with players. I could see her being a big help to Madi. Amanda was a tough player, became a better shooter and rebounder. Hopefully, she inspires and teaches Madi. Madi certainly had a good game against UAB.

I wondered that, too, womensports and I’m thinking she has been working with her because she looks a lot more confident out there this year. She could be our matchup nightmare that we desperately need at that position.

One of the surprises that created the optimism in me was that Madi hit free throws, and she had good form. We'll see if this 90% rate pans out. We have had people who improved in a lot of things, but we have always had those who never improved their free throw shooting. DRob did. It is, for me, an indicator of how serious you are about improving. I remember that Griner did improve, and Nina Davis improved.

Great observation Syb. Definitely great to see Madi go 9-10 from the line against UAB but I was also encouraged to see her get to the line 10 times. With Madi's game she needs to average close to 8 FT's per game.

Against OKCU in the exhibition she was 3/3. Against Prairie View she shot zero which should be is a no no her aggressive style of play. She is going to get some fouls but also should get several fouls. She is 12/13 and shot only 60% from the line last year.

Agree, sybarite. Lampkin looks much improved, too. Heard Jessica Coody say the other day that Lampkin was the fastest player on the team. I hope she keeps getting more playing time because we could use that.

Lampkin was also the fastest player on last year's team. She just knew nothing about basketball.

Another thing that I have seen that caused some optimism. I don't remember having anyone that could execute the give and go at post last year. Mandy did it a couple of times. But, none of our posts looked good doing it.

So far this year, I have seen excellent execution on the give and go by Aspen, Clair, and Nydia.

Will Gabby play tonight? She had pneumonia last game but played through it. She still has it today.

Lampkin was also the fastest player on last year's team. She just knew nothing about basketball.

Another thing that I have seen that caused some optimism. I don't remember having anyone that could execute the give and go at post last year. Mandy did it a couple of times. But, none of our posts looked good doing it.

So far this year, I have seen excellent execution on the give and go by Aspen, Clair, and Nydia.

I can't imagine that Lampkin was faster than Pellington.

Speed and quickness are different things. Pellington was what,,aboout -5-7. Nydia was 6-3. As I understand from last year, nobody was as fast from one end of the court to the other as Lampkin.

I suspect that the winner of this game will be pretty good. With Oregon State looming, they will need to be.

Miami (O) leads Prairie View A&M 12-9 after one quarter in the NIT consolations.

Back