NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

30 points for Trae tonight in a loss to Portland -- 11-15, 3-6 -- with 8 assists, 2 rebounds, 1 steal, one block and 4 turnovers.

Which, of course, translated to -- wait for it -- a rating of -2.

Last edited:
30 points for Trae tonight in a loss to Portland -- 11-15, 3-6 -- with 8 assists, 2 rebounds, 1 steal, one block and 4 turnovers.

If you're a huge Hawks fan, you were happier winning and Trae going 1-12 like he did the other day - when he finished with a plus-something. The rest of us will take Trae's game last night 100 times out of 100, and his minus-2. Plus, his team lost to a Sooner - remember, Terry Stotts is the coach of Portland :)

I couldn't be happier for Blake, Buddy and Trae this year. A little more than halfway into the season, all three have played better than my expectations. If Buddy keeps it up, he'll be in the running for the NBA's Most Improved Player Award at the end of the season.

OU had had as many as 6 NBA players on active rosters during a particular season (think early-mid 1990s), but never had any 3 players putting up these kinds of numbers.

This + - BS makes no sense to me. There is no reasonable explanation that I have seen to justify a minus rating when a player scores 30 points by shooting the lights out everywhere on the floor, and in the same game dishing out 8 assists to get his teammates involved.

I am officially declaring this system of scoring a player’s performance a total crock! If anyone wants me to explain the term “total crock,” I will be happy to oblige.

This + - BS makes no sense to me. There is no reasonable explanation that I have seen to justify a minus rating when a player scores 30 points by shooting the lights out everywhere on the floor, and in the same game dishing out 8 assists to get his teammates involved.

I am officially declaring this system of scoring a player’s performance a total crock! If anyone wants me to explain the term “total crock,” I will be happy to oblige.

It's literally math. His team was outscored by 5 points while he was on the floor. In this case it's a function of two things: Trae's defense sucks and his teammates aren't very good.

If you're a huge Hawks fan, you were happier winning and Trae going 1-12 like he did the other day - when he finished with a plus-something. The rest of us will take Trae's game last night 100 times out of 100, and his minus-2. Plus, his team lost to a Sooner - remember, Terry Stotts is the coach of Portland :)

I couldn't be happier for Blake, Buddy and Trae this year. A little more than halfway into the season, all three have played better than my expectations. If Buddy keeps it up, he'll be in the running for the NBA's Most Improved Player Award at the end of the season.

OU had had as many as 6 NBA players on active rosters during a particular season (think early-mid 1990s), but never had any 3 players putting up these kinds of numbers.

Hawks fans should want them to lose each and every game the rest of the season

It's literally math. His team was outscored by 5 points while he was on the floor. In this case it's a function of two things: Trae's defense sucks and his teammates aren't very good.

It's literally stupid. The second thing has a much greater impact than the first thing, so to make this an individual stat, when it's clearly impacted as much by the team's performance as the individual's, is inane. Without Trae on the floor yesterday, the Hawks would have likely have lost by a much greater margin.

well, I agree with you on the crappiness of some other metrics ... but this one I agree with. the point differential when you are on the floor is a pretty objective, honest approach even if it does mean you get lumped in with 4 other guys' potential weaknesses.

How does +/- “make no sense”?

It’s literally the scoreboard. There is no further explanation needed.

But on an individual level it’s just one of many evaluation metrics.

It's literally stupid. The second thing has a much greater impact than the first thing, so to make this an individual stat, when it's clearly impacted as much by the team's performance as the individual's, is inane. Without Trae on the floor yesterday, the Hawks would have likely have lost by a much greater margin.

Literally nothing you just said is refuted by the +/- stat. +/- is a decent stat but it obviously needs to be adjusted for the quality of players on the court with the player & the quality of opponents on the court against the player. There are adjusted +/- stats that attempt to do that.

I wish more recognized the same inherent weaknesses in many baseball stats as the ones you just pointed out in +/-.

How does +/- “make no sense”?

It’s literally the scoreboard. There is no further explanation needed.

But on an individual level it’s just one of many evaluation metrics.

Agreed. It's better than a lot of traditional stats used to compare basketball performance. You just have to understand its limitations as well.

Without Trae on the floor yesterday, the Hawks would have likely have lost by a much greater margin.

That’s correct. The team was -4 without Trae, but in only 12 minutes.

So extrapolated over 48 would be -16.

Buddy had 16 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 steals in a loss to the Clippers.

I wonder where anthony davis goes? Sacramento would be awesome. LA would suck.

I can't imagine the Kings would part with Buddy. And the Pelicans had their shot with him. They don't deserve a second crack.

I was actually thinking buddy stays at sac and AD comes there to join him.

Sacramento likely won't be players for AD or any other stars at the deadline, but I sure hope they can add a useful piece or two to help them stay in the race. But they definitely shouldn't give up any key assets just to try to sneak in and get the 8th seed and get destroyed by Golden State. I just hope they can stay relevant so they end up playing meaningful games down the stretch, because that could pay dividends down the road.

Also, I hope Buddy destroys the Curry bros in the 3-point contest!

Kings* need to not do anything stupid at the deadline. They have some elite young talent. They've got boatloads of cap space. Go get some quality veterans in free agency, don't trade your young assets.

*Edit: Had typed Pelicans, which is not what I meant; KINGS need to stay pat at the deadline unless they are taking on dead money for draft picks.

Last edited:
Trae with a really nice first half. This team has some nice pieces. They need to nail that Dallas pick, although they may be playing a little too well and bumping their own pick down too much.

Kings* need to not do anything stupid at the deadline. They have some elite young talent. They've got boatloads of cap space. Go get some quality veterans in free agency, don't trade your young assets.

*Edit: Had typed Pelicans, which is not what I meant; KINGS need to stay pat at the deadline unless they are taking on dead money for draft picks.

Agree

Just let it age

Back