OU vs #12 KSU 8pm CST on ESPNU

That’s a fair point, I guess I just reference the Bama game because it feels like a lot of people are basing their optimism that we can/are capable of beating anyone off that game, and it sure feels to me like we have a ton of evidence indicating that that game was a massive outlier for both us and Bama. Beating one great team in the nonconference is so much different than having to string together several great games in a town against conference teams that have a better feel for our weaknesses, and I think that’s reflected in our league record.

Agree it is highly unlikely that OU brings it the rest of the season like they did bama, kstate. Unfortunately, that’s what it will take to make the ncaa tournament.

Thanks, TEvans! Are Moser’s stats projected through the end of the regular season or just to through Kstate? Not sure what metrics you are using but no reason to not trust your stats.

KenPom until 2002. Everything after that is Sports-Reference since KP doesn't go back that far.

Also, 30 out of 34 Top25 games have been played for Moser. 4 Left this year and I DID count KSU...but they just dropped from 14 to 26. So the numbers may adjust at the end of the year, but it is still rather eye-opening.

I did not include any tournaments or post-season play to keep it rather even across the board.

I could give a crap about close losses. Those teams are better than us and they beat us. We don’t get any credit in the standings for playing them to the wire.

If you can't understand the difference between a close loss and a blowout, then you're either being willfully ignorant or have notable cognitive limitations. It really seems like you just want to argue and be negative about Kruger's replacement. And there is plenty to be negative about thus far, but you can do so in a reasonable manner.

If I were trying to say that OU should be a higher seed than their win-loss standings indicate in the Big XII standings, then you'd have a valid point. Same goes for if I said a team should advance in the NCAA tourney for a close loss. But I didn't. When measuring how well a team performed, it's absolutely essential to consider how difficult their opponent was and how competetive they were. Would you rate OU's performance the same in the KU loss by 4 and the WVU loss by 32? Would you say OU's performance was equal in the 4 point win against USA and the 24 point win against Alabama?

close losses arent wins, my man

And nobody is saying that they are. But losing to KU by 4 is better than losing to WVU by 32. And beating Alabama by 24 is better than beating South Alabama by 4.

OU is going to have to win a game where they don't shoot crazy from 3 for me to be a believer in any improvement or continued success.

The best 3 point shooting team in the country shoots it at 41%.
OU is the 110th best 3 point shooting team in the country.

OU's 3 point shooting in our three most recent wins:
KSU - 48%
Bama - 69%
WVU - 45%

That is sustainable or game-plannable. Call it getting lucky or whatever, but it's not how you draw up winning basketball games. It's why I predicted after the WVU game (I think) that I wouldn't be surprised to see us win 2-3 more. That's basketball. Sometimes shots go in at a high enough rate that even bad teams can win games against much better opponents. But that is why we're 3-10 in Big 12 play, because shooting 50% from 3 as a way to win games isn't something teams can do with any kind of regularity.

OU is going to have to win a game where they don't shoot crazy from 3 for me to be a believer in any improvement or continued success.

The best 3 point shooting team in the country shoots it at 41%.
OU is the 110th best 3 point shooting team in the country.

OU's 3 point shooting in our three most recent wins:
KSU - 48%
Bama - 69%
WVU - 45%

That is sustainable or game-plannable. Call it getting lucky or whatever, but it's not how you draw up winning basketball games. It's why I predicted after the WVU game (I think) that I wouldn't be surprised to see us win 2-3 more. That's basketball. Sometimes shots go in at a high enough rate that even bad teams can win games against much better opponents. But that is why we're 3-10 in Big 12 play, because shooting 50% from 3 as a way to win games isn't something teams can do with any kind of regularity.

Just to show the flip side of this, our opponent's 3 point shooting in our losses:
KU - 50%
Baylor - 32%
WVU - 41%
osu - 25%
TCU - 35%
Baylor - 35%

Just to show the flip side of this, our opponent's 3 point shooting in our losses:
KU - 50%
Baylor - 32%
WVU - 41%
osu - 25%
TCU - 35%
Baylor - 35%

You left out ISU shooting 46.7% to OU 31.8% in a 3 point loss. Or OU shooting 36% in a one point loss to Texas when Texas had a 29% 3 pt shooter hit 2 3’s against OU tied for the most in a game for him this season. Or when KU beat OU by 4 in Allen Fieldhouse and OU shot 11% from 3 on 17 attempts and KU shot 16 more FT’s. Add those 3 games to OU’s record and all of the sudden with the same tough schedule OU is 16-10 and easily in the NCAA tourney talk.

Close losses don’t matter but saying it doesn’t really mean much if OU wins because they shot well and not taking that into account in the close losses doesn’t make much sense.

You left out ISU shooting 46.7% to OU 31.8% in a 3 point loss. Or OU shooting 36% in a one point loss to Texas when Texas had a 29% 3 pt shooter hit 2 3’s against OU tied for the most in a game for him this season. Or when KU beat OU by 4 in Allen Fieldhouse and OU shot 11% from 3 on 17 attempts and KU shot 16 more FT’s. Add those 3 games to OU’s record and all of the sudden with the same tough schedule OU is 16-10 and easily in the NCAA tourney talk.

Close losses don’t matter but saying it doesn’t really mean much if OU wins because they shot well and not taking that into account in the close losses doesn’t make much sense.

I don't think you really understood my post.

Our defense was very good. We have to keep that up to finish the season well. Oweh is the catalyst there imo.

Our defense was very good. We have to keep that up to finish the season well. Oweh is the catalyst there imo.

We held the #3 (at the time) 3pt team in the Big12 to 20% and also dominated them on offense from the 3pt line. (they had the best Big12 3pt defense and were top 10 defensively from 3 at the time).

It also wasn't like we were hitting in your face Sherfield step-backs...it was open shots with ball movement, and we were outplaying them on offense. A great all-around game. Maybe the most complete game we have played all year.

We have to get back to our great perimeter defense and keep Tanner out of foul trouble. I think we are competitive when those two things happen.

3pt% starting in Big12 play with FT differential.

Team| Them | Us | Score Diff | Result | FT totals | FT Diff
UT ---33% 36% -1 -- L 16-11 -5
ISU-- 47% 32% -3 -- L 16-9 -7
TT ---11% 33% +5 -- W 25-6 -19
KU-- 36% 12% -4 -- L 39-23 -16
WVU 46% 45% +1 -- W 16-25 +9
OSU- 42% 27% -16 -- L 17-8 -9
BU -- 35% 24% -2 -- L 17-4 -13
TCU-- 35% 26% -27 -- L 29-10 -19
BAM-- 27% 69% +24 -- W 21-19 -2
OSU- 25% 23% -10 -- L 12-33 +19 ------------- 51 2pt FGs to 24 2pt FGs…
WVU 41% 24% -32 -- L 31-22 -9
BU -- 35% 32% -10 -- L 26-12 -14
KU -- 50% 23% -23 -- L 14-14 0
KSU-- 20% 48% +14 -- W 15-28 -13

Some things I noticed:
- The scoring differential has not been <10 for any game the last 7 games.
- Only 2 games where OU has had a FT advantage (WVU [W]/OSU [L])
- Those first 5 games, even for us being outshot AND out-free throwed, we still kept it close. (ISU/UT/KU)
- That KU loss is about as egregious a screw job, the more I look into it. They outshot us from 3, out FT'd us by 16 and we still almost won the game.
- That first BU game...only 4 FTs...still irks me.
- To point out what WTSooner said, we have won 3 out of the 4 games we outshot our opponent from 3.
- Also to add, we are a top 25 defensive 3pt% team, so a lot of these teams are shooting above avg versus us.

Last edited:
Back