Remember: About a Year Ago (12/16/2017) OU was 8-1

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Remember: About a Year Ago (12/16/2017) .. Oklahoma beat #3 ranked Wichita State 91-83 in Wichita, Kansas. After that big road win, the Sooners had a record of 8-1.

Oklahoma then won the next 4 games to start the season 12-1 and was ranked in the Top-10 in national polls. After the 12-1 start, the Sooners' season went downhill, especially after January 13th, when the team "finished" 4-12 over the final 16 games.

To the best of my knowledge, no one predicted the collapse following the Ides of January last season. No one saw it coming.

Back to the Present: I am certainly enjoying the current season so far. It seems this team has the toughness and maturity to gut-out wins at crunch time, a trait missing last season. Time will tell, as the Big-12 schedule is on the near horizon.

2018-19 Oklahoma Sooners (8-1)
Won 91-76 ... @ UTRGV
Won 87-67 ... @ UTSA
Won 75-64 ... Wofford
Won 65-60 ... vs. Florida (Battle 4 Atlantis, Bahamas)
Lost 58-78 .. vs. Wisconsin (Battle 4 Atlantis, Bahamas)
Won 65-54 ... vs. Dayton (Battle 4 Atlantis, Bahamas)
Won 73-57 ... North Texas
Won 85-80 ... vs. Notre Dame (New York City)
Won 80-48 ... vs. Wichita State (Oklahoma City; Chesapeake Energy Arena)

Dec. 15: USC (Tulsa BOK Center), 8 p.m.
Dec. 18: Creighton, 8 p.m.
Dec. 21: at Northwestern, 8 p.m.
Jan. 2: at Kansas, 8 p.m.
Jan. 5: Oklahoma State, 1 p.m.
Jan. 8: at Texas Tech, 8 p.m.
Jan. 12: TCU, 1 p.m.
Jan. 16: Kansas State, 6 p.m.
Jan. 19: at Texas, TBA
Jan. 23: at Oklahoma State, 8 p.m.
Jan. 26: Vanderbilt, 3 p.m.
Jan. 28: Baylor, 8 p.m.
Feb. 2: at West Virginia, 11 a.m.
Feb. 4: Iowa State, 8 p.m.
Feb. 9: Texas Tech, 3 p.m.
Feb. 11: at Baylor, 8 p.m.
Feb. 16: at TCU, 11 a.m.
Feb. 23: Texas, 11 a.m.
Feb. 25: at Iowa State, 7 p.m.
March 2: West Virginia, 1 p.m

And we are not nearly as dependent upon a single player on offense. James is our top scorer so far, but he's far from a one-man team, offensively.

That said, I'm enjoying this season one game at a time and not looking ahead. I have no particular expectations about our success in-conference. I'll take it as it comes.

That said, I'm enjoying this season one game at a time and not looking ahead. I have no particular expectations about our success in-conference. I'll take it as it comes.

Me too. Well said.

I think Huggins created the prescription last year. OU was just having wings stand around and using TY to create for them. WV just locked them down. Only option for TY was to drive and play a 2 man game with McNeace. That and we played poor D.

We will certainly run into some difficult times again this year but the team is so balanced who are you going to lock down? Everyone can and is taking the ball to the rim and everyone is playing D.

My biggest concern is facing a dominant big or bigs who can take McNeace outside and shoot the 3. We will also run into teams that just have enough guys who are a little more skilled. But I like this team and mostly because they are working so hard on D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And we are not nearly as dependent upon a single player on offense. James is our top scorer so far, but he's far from a one-man team, offensively.

James is not ball dominant. He gets the ball and he's either going to shoot it or find an open player. He's shooting 52% from the field which is super efficient at guard, and has 20 assists. Still has more turnovers than assists but that's not terrible for your main offensive presence. He doesn't dribble around and try to drive all the time like Trae would.

I'm not sure we'll be great on offense when we play better defensive teams in conference. Right now we have 1 guy averaging over 10 points a game. The rest are just below that. And I'm sure some of them will drop off a bit in numbers. So we may have some pretty ugly games on offense in conference play.

Back