What do you think of this line?

uberjamb

Reaction score
"It was all perfectly sensible because it’s been so long for this program. It’s been so long since the three-headed monster that was Willie Warren, Tiny Gallon and Tommy Mason-Griffin torpedoed it and made it a loser."

Do you think Capel was Warren's problem? That he would have been great with Lon?

"It was all perfectly sensible because it’s been so long for this program. It’s been so long since the three-headed monster that was Willie Warren, Tiny Gallon and Tommy Mason-Griffin torpedoed it and made it a loser."

Accurate. Clay is alittle hit and miss. But, that line is a hit.

Willie Warren was Willie Warren's problem.

Was Warren on the same level of problem child as TMG and Tiny? No. But that doesn't mean he did things the right way either. He was a piss poor teammate, and he wasn't a guy that worked extremely hard. You hear how Hield is always in the gym. Willie Warren was not that guy. But to me, the biggest thing was the off the court stuff. You can't do the things he did, and have a tight team. I'm glad they are all gone from the OU program, and I cannot wait for the day when they are nothing but a distant memory to OU fans.

Was Warren on the same level of problem child as TMG and Tiny? No. But that doesn't mean he did things the right way either. He was a piss poor teammate, and he wasn't a guy that worked extremely hard. You hear how Hield is always in the gym. Willie Warren was not that guy. But to me, the biggest thing was the off the court stuff. You can't do the things he did, and have a tight team. I'm glad they are all gone from the OU program, and I cannot wait for the day when they are nothing but a distant memory to OU fans.

I don't think it's a big coincidence that we had all these "troublemakers" all at once.

Willie Warren left us to go make money. You guys need to let it go.

I think its a naive quote. Warren was hurt his sophomore year and Warren help take this team to the elite 8.

Are you saying that I'm naive or Clay's quote is naive. If it is Clay, well he is the Sports Directer at the local paper and has been for years. Granted, he considers himself the beat writer for Womens Basketball and lets his understudy,Shinn, do the primary reporting for the Men's team.

But, he is around the gym about every day and is pretty aware of what is going on with who around all the athletic programs. I would think people outside the program would want to place alittle value on his opinion.

If it is me that you think that is making a naive statement, well. Willie Warren was a dog, a distraction, and not a team guy. I have paid enough attention over the years to know that.

Yep, I agree with this.

Willie was one of the guys who led the team revolt of summer workouts. If I recall correctly, it was him and Crocker after the 09 elite 8 team.

Thanks to WW for helping us make the elite 8, but looking back I'd rather he never came to OU. All the bad from the following 2 seasons wiped out any good that came from the elite 8 season. Warren had plenty to do with that bad that came, IMO.

Are you saying that I'm naive or Clay's quote is naive. If it is Clay, well he is the Sports Directer at the local paper and has been for years. Granted, he considers himself the beat writer for Womens Basketball and lets his understudy,Shinn, do the primary reporting for the Men's team.

But, he is around the gym about every day and is pretty aware of what is going on with who around all the athletic programs. I would think people outside the program would want to place alittle value on his opinion.

If it is me that you think that is making a naive statement, well. Willie Warren was a dog, a distraction, and not a team guy. I have paid enough attention over the years to know that.

I was calling Clay's comment Naive and I don't care what his credentials were.

Willie Warren was a dog?!?!get over yourself. Stop hating on the guy. Just b/c your bitter that he left and didn't stay after having a bad year doesn't mean you should sit and bash him. He helped take us to the Elite 8 where we lost to the National Champions.

Your just Bitter that he left!!!

I was calling Clay's comment Naive and I don't care what his credentials were.

Willie Warren was a dog?!?!get over yourself. Stop hating on the guy. Just b/c your bitter that he left and didn't stay after having a bad year doesn't mean you should sit and bash him. He helped take us to the Elite 8 where we lost to the National Champions.

Your just Bitter that he left!!!

No,No. That isn't true at all. I can tell you the very moment that I knew Capel had to go. When asked about Warren in an interveiw. Capel said "contrary to popular opinion, I would have had a ship for him if he wanted to come back for another year"

I would have ran him off mid-season. And when Capel said that he would have been able to come back for another year, I was done with him too.

In retrospect, Rotnei Clark would have been the preferred choice of the two for me. At the time, I thought Rotnei's outside game might have made a difference in our Elite 8 game against UNC. Woulda,coulda,shoulda.....

In retrospect, Rotnei Clark would have been the preferred choice of the two for me. At the time, I thought Rotnei's outside game might have made a difference in our Elite 8 game against UNC. Woulda,coulda,shoulda.....

Honestly, I didn't know how well Rotnei's ability would transfer to college. And at the time I thought Warren was a good get. And of course I was on the Capel bandwagon at the time.

In retrospect, I was wrong about all of that and I wish we had Rotnei right now.

No,No. That isn't true at all. I can tell you the very moment that I knew Capel had to go. When asked about Warren in an interveiw. Capel said "contrary to popular opinion, I would have had a ship for him if he wanted to come back for another year"

I would have ran him off mid-season. And when Capel said that he would have been able to come back for another year, I was done with him too.

what a joke...ran him off mid-season? I'm glad you don't coach OU

When do we (media included) get to let this dead horse be buried? How many years need to pass? All of the guys (Capel included) aren't even a blip on anyone's radar screen except ours. We beat Kansas, we have TCU tonight, all those dudes are gone, some were worse than others, good riddance to them all.

wow. I wish this was on landthieves so I could tell you how I really feel about this statement

wow. I wish this was on landthieves so I could tell you how I really feel about this statement

That is my opinion. I didn't form that opinon or any other for that matter giving much consideration of how or what others thought about it. If I did, then it wouldn't be my opinion. I would just be adopting the opinion of others. You are certainly welcome to yours.

Let me explain it this way. If I'm a coach and facing the prospect of a losing season, I'm going to lose with a bunch of kids that are busting their butts to win. If I were to perceive that not to be the case, I would run that bunch off and go recruit bodies out of the local church league to come and play.

Back