'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

The Mark Byington to WVU rumors may be premature. We'll see.

Kelvin Sampson has been an elite college coach for a while now.

Kellen Sampson has ran a lot of what UH does. He leads the charge on recruiting and individual workouts/player development. Kelvin stated that publicly years ago.

What if Kelvin is embellishing to benefit his son? The risk of hiring Kellen is tremendous, and the upside is not nearly enough to offset that risk imo.

I think Kellen has gotten praise over the years from plenty of folks that weren't his dad.

That has slowed in recent years with the HC-in-Waiting tag, but the coaches at SFA and App State were both VERY high on what he brought to those programs. I think Capel has had nice things to say about him as well.

I don't think Kelvin went out of his way to praise Kellen, and to publicly give him credit for recruiting and player development just to prop his son up. That doesn't seem like something Kelvin would do to me. None of that means Kellen is a lock to succeed. But I certainly don't see any red flags to suggest he can't be a very good head coach. I didn't like the little trash can kicking episode from a few years ago, but I've seen Kelvin, Sutton, Moser and a bunch of other experienced act like idiots on the sideline too.

I don't expect Kellen to end up here. Matter of fact, with us making the tournament, I'm not sure Moser is even leaving. We'll see.

I expect Kellen to be here if Porter bounces.

I will admit that I'm underselling Kellen a bit. He's a good assistant. But how much of that is his dad selling his son? I just don't know. So much of what you read has a bias attached.

Anyway, I want Kellen to succeed. At Houston. Or Lamar. Or any other mid major. I just don't want OU to be the experiment.

Dammit, now I have to go look into D1 HC's sons turned D1 coaches + success rate. Or @TEvans4Three can lol. Our resident data man.
I am requesting Hospital records and DNA tests as we speak...

I really don't see Joe C doing it (hiring Kellen). But I've been wrong a time or two in the past (lol, haven't we all).
Frankly, I've been told Kellen isn't interested. Nor are any of the Houston guys. For reasons that have been hashed out over and over again.

2 programs expected to open in the next week

Canisius

Saint Louis

SLU is interesting because Moser was an assistant there under Majerus. Travis Ford's buyout has been rumored to be as high as $10M.

Candidate list:

I mean, when a job comes open things can change. But I was told they're all well aware of the challenges and would likely pass.
I can't see NIL and crowd being the reasons any of them stayed away from Norman.

Loyalty to Kelvin and Houston? Wanting to stay together a bit longer? Maybe.

Houston isn't buying players. I know who their big donor is, but I've followed their recruiting enough to know they aren't out there buying guys. If that is accurate, they would recruit and develop at OU every bit as well as they are at Houston. They aren't recruiting a ton of South Texas talent either. Some. But not a bunch.

I can't see NIL and crowd being the reasons any of them stayed away from Norman.

Loyalty to Kelvin and Houston? Wanting to stay together a bit longer? Maybe.

Houston isn't buying players. I know who their big donor is, but I've followed their recruiting enough to know they aren't out there buying guys. If that is accurate, they would recruit and develop at OU every bit as well as they are at Houston. They aren't recruiting a ton of South Texas talent either. Some. But not a bunch.
NIL is a big part of it, but the bigger part of it is the lack of fan and administration support. Kelvin battled it for years. They're all well aware.

Nor are any of the Houston guys. For reasons that have been hashed out over and over again.
there is 0.00% chance that Q white would turn down the OU job .... or Hollis for that matter .(especially considering he is not currently a college basketball coach)

you think LJ Cryer left baylor just for the weather?? lol

Walker signed there out of high school because of heart hustle hardwood??

He has publicly stated why he left, and it wasn't NIL.

You don't think Baylor would have just paid him if that was the case?

lol
“I am looking for a fresh start,” Cryer said. “My time at Baylor has been a lot of ups and downs. I feel like it is time for me to move on personally and I am just looking for a great fit that will let me play both guard positions.”

and explore NBA ..

he has been the 2 guard all year at houston ..

it was all NIL

Back