'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

Trilly with the updated shortlist for job openings:, one of note:

DePaul: Bobby Hurley, Porter Moser, Josh Schertz, Darian DeVries, Andy Kennedy

Trilly with the updated shortlist for job openings:, one of note:

DePaul: Bobby Hurley, Porter Moser, Josh Schertz, Darian DeVries, Andy Kennedy
They'd turn their noses up at Kennedy but that dude has more 20 win seasons in his career than non-20 win seasons. 17 years (head) coaching, 14 years winning 20 or more games, and only one losing season. He's not likely the type who'd take them far in the NCAA tourney but that's not exactly what DePaul needs right now. They need someone who'd come in, rebuild their identity, and gets them to where they can compete/win games. Kennedy could likely do it. But you know, he doesn't win the headlines like "Moser returns to Chicago".

Or they should go after...

Amir Abdur-Rahim
Kim English - probably wouldn't leave Providence for DePaul but maybe if the money is right
Bucky McMillan
Ryan Odom

There are a lot of good coaches out there...which is why I'm still astonished so many OU fans want Kellen, lol.

They'd turn their noses up at Kennedy but that dude has more 20 win seasons in his career than non-20 win seasons. 17 years (head) coaching, 14 years winning 20 or more games, and only one losing season. He's not likely the type who'd take them far in the NCAA tourney but that's not exactly what DePaul needs right now. They need someone who'd come in, rebuild their identity, and gets them to where they can compete/win games. Kennedy could likely do it. But you know, he doesn't win the headlines like "Moser returns to Chicago".

Or they should go after...

Amir Abdur-Rahim
Kim English - probably wouldn't leave Providence for DePaul but maybe if the money is right
Bucky McMillan
Ryan Odom

There are a lot of good coaches out there...which is why I'm still astonished so many OU fans want Kellen, lol.
Yep, it is a nice consistent set of standards

1709997071680.png

KP ratings for those years:

UAB - 102, 47, 51, 125
Ole Miss - 60, 50, 92, 48, 76, 95, 34, 83, 46, 77, 74, 108
Cincy - 44

They could absolutely do a whole lot worse.

To your Kellen point. I think I would be okay with the hire if it came with a large NIL contingency deal. (but you could almost just say that with any coach) Other than that, I want someone with experience at the helm.

Amir Abdur-Rahim:
1709997267054.png

KP ratings for those years:

Kennesaw St: 352, 335, 223, 123
South Florida: 82

@StoopsBros you are given the reigns to the AD position. Joe Castigs retires and says you are the perfect person for the job. Salary and all.

You are left with the basketball dilemma. Moser has feelers out for DePaul, you get a flurry of subverted burner tweets for agent's of coaches and have your list of interested candidates(Trilly confirms them):

Dusty May [FAU](who may be using it for a bigger offer)
Danny Sprinkle [Utah St]
Kyle Smith [Wazzu]
Jerry Stackhouse [homeless] (lol you laugh at this one)
Josh Schertz [Indiana St]
Brad Underwood [Illinois]
Brian Dutcher [SDSU]
Porter Moser [OU], convince him to stay.
Kellen Sampson [Houston HC in waiting]

Or do you make a call to Amir Abdur-Rahim, even though interest is may not be mutual.

@StoopsBros you are given the reigns to the AD position. Joe Castigs retires and says you are the perfect person for the job. Salary and all.

You are left with the basketball dilemma. Moser has feelers out for DePaul, you get a flurry of subverted burner tweets for agent's of coaches and have your list of interested candidates(Trilly confirms them):

Danny Sprinkle [Utah St]
Kyle Smith [Wazzu]
Brian Dutcher [SDSU]

Or do you make a call to Amir Abdur-Rahim, even though interest is may not be mutual.
Would Brad Underwood leave Illinois for OU, after having coached in the past at OSU for a year? (I don't know enough about the situation to know if he's on the hot seat there...I know they have a player with a domestic violence accusation) Would OU hire a former OSU coach?

Would Brad Underwood leave Illinois for OU, after having coached in the past at OSU for a year? (I don't know enough about the situation to know if he's on the hot seat there...I know they have a player with a domestic violence accusation) Would OU hire a former OSU coach?
Purely a hypothetical based on KenPom upward projected coaches, I don't know Brad Underwood is/was looking. (aka Coaches I like)

They have had a very good season. It’s a rape case involving their player but I don’t know how you hold that against the coach unless there is a pattern. Plus they suspended the guy till they were forced to reinstate him. But I think Illinois is at least a good a job as OU, probably better in many ways. I’d be shocked if that’s a move he would consider.

They have had a very good season. It’s a rape case involving their player but I don’t know how you hold that against the coach unless there is a pattern. Plus they suspended the guy till they were forced to reinstate him. But I think Illinois is at least a good a job as OU, probably better in many ways. I’d be shocked if that’s a move he would consider.
I agree. A coach under normal circumstances wouldn't leave Illinois for OU.

Danny Sprinkle [Utah St]
Kyle Smith [Wazzu]
Brian Dutcher [SDSU]

Giving me the AD job? You've done messed up now. ;)

The plan to save OU hoops...

or enhance the program going forward.

Before I get to who's coaching next year, I make an absolute commitment to the basketball program. To the donors, the former/current/future players, the fans, all involved. I'll make it a public commitment. I don't care. I'd want the world to know we're now a serious program. We're going to win and we're going to win big. No more half-assing it. It doesn't have to be at the expense of the football program, we all know who butters the bread. You can win at both, at the same time, as well as softball, baseball, WBB, etc.

Part of that commitment to basketball (all sports really)? NIL. Dollar, dollar bills, ya'll. Talent acquisition is the name of the game. I want Jason Belzer away from "my" program(s). I don't know what that means completely without conversations, if a new collective has to be formed or not, I just know I want that shyster removed from our money/program.

Once I sort through the collective mess, I'm fundraising. I want at least $5M for basketball only NIL. I'll talk with Renzi Stone, Buddy Hield, Trae Young, Blake Griffin, Austin Reaves, and so many others that have played at OU. Get their thoughts/money/ideas....and obviously, any and every donor possible who cares about OU hoops. No matter what, we'd fill our coffers. Having said all of that, I realize things are changing all around me when it comes to NIL, collectives, the NCAA, etc. I'm just going off the exact/current situation (now/this year).

Part of those money convos would circulate around building a new ON-CAMPUS arena. I'm in the minority, I hate the Norman UNP idea. With a passion. I don't care about shopping and dining (outside of the arena). I care about having a successful basketball program. Point blank. I vehemently disagree with those who say it can't be done on-campus. It can be. Where there's a will, there's a way. If others can build new arenas, Texas, Baylor, Georgia State (close enough to campus), Austin Peay, Alabama A&M, James Madison, etc, so can OU. Right now, it's about others having different priorities that aren't 100% about the basketball program. OU needs the right AD (me, lol).

We'd also make things better when it comes to basketball promotion (social media/etc) and make the LNC, for now, a better place to play. We'll look at every idea. Hell, I have no problem taking it to the public arena. HOW CAN WE MAKE THE LNC BETTER FOR YOU? YES, YOU! Tweet that out. Have a questionnaire. Whatever. Somehow, some way, we'd put a fresh coat of paint on the program in every way possible. People will want to support the program. It'll be the cool/hip thing to do. Butts will be in the seats, not empty sponsor tickets.

Okay, we've sorted through (in a very basic manner) some important issues that really limit the program and the coach...so let's get to the right person to lead us forward, the head coach:

There are two coaches who I'd want to lead us right now, Porter Moser or Will Wade.

1. Moser

We already have a contract with Porter so I'd love to get things right with him first and foremost. Others disagree, and that's fine, but I think Moser is a damn good coach. Competitive & knows the game. His major issues, for me, revolve mostly around roster management, or mismanagement, and the adjustment to the high major level from the mid major level. It's taken too long to get to this point roster-wise and it still isn't "perfect". I'd want to add a general manager for basketball. Without looking, or spending much time on it, I don't really have any names off the top of my head....but I'd want someone who knows talent, roster structure, budget, etc. For the most part, I want the coaching staff to focus on coaching. Of course, there will always be a recruiting element (showing up at AAU tourneys/HS games/hosting recruits/etc). With NIL enhanced, and the overall program heading in the right way forward (true support from the admin/donors/etc), I think Moser can win a lot of games at OU.

Having said that, if we do the hard work with NIL, hopefully a better arena plan, etc, and Moser is still unhappy? I'm not upping his salary this season unless his team makes a tourney run....so if he isn't happy with what's on the table, more NIL/GM/arena plan/current salary, I guess he can go fail at DePaul. I wouldn't accept a penny less than $6M (his buyout). We aren't a charity. And I'd be in contact with...

2. Wade

I've said it before, I don't give a rat's ass about the LSU stuff. I just don't care and no one can make me care. Duke, Kentucky, all of the big-time schools cheat, let's not be naive. Wade got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Okay, he's done his time, lol, he has to live/work in Lake Charles, LA. Almost as bad as prison. I kid. If Moser decides that he's married to Chicago and sucking at DePaul, and Wade would accept, he'd be the next OU coach. He knows how to win and he knows how to fill the roster with supreme talent/athletes. I'd prefer him to keep Humphrey as an assistant but not a dealbreaker.

If plan 1 and 2 fail...

I guess I'd mull over, or have convos with, Mark Pope, Kim English, Amir Abdur Rahim, Kyle Smith, and several others. Along with my staff, former players, etc. We'd get the hire right, as much as we can. Not sure on a search firm. I find them to be kind of pointless and a waste of resources. I'd prefer to do it in-house.

What I wouldn't be doing? Hiring a career assistant that has zero head coaching experience.

Last edited:

Before I get to who's coaching next year, I make an absolute commitment to the basketball program. To the donors, the former/current/future players, the fans, all involved. I'll make it a public commitment. I don't care. I'd want the world to know we're now a serious program. We're going to win and we're going to win big. No more half-assing it. It doesn't have to be at the expense of the football program, we all know who butters the bread. You can win at both, at the same time, as well as softball, baseball, WBB, etc.

Part of that commitment to basketball (all sports really)? NIL. Dollar, dollar bills, ya'll. Talent acquisition is the name of the game. I want Jason Belzer away from "my" program(s). I don't know what that means completely without conversations, if a new collective has to be formed or not, I just know I want that shyster removed from our money/program.

Once I sort through the collective mess, I'm fundraising. I want at least $5M for basketball only NIL. I'll talk with Renzi Stone, Buddy Hield, Trae Young, Blake Griffin, Austin Reaves, and so many others that have played at OU. Get their thoughts/money/ideas....and obviously, any and every donor possible who cares about OU hoops. No matter what, we'd fill our coffers. Having said all of that, I realize things are changing all around me when it comes to NIL, collectives, the NCAA, etc. I'm just going off the exact/current situation (now/this year).

Part of those money convos would circulate around building a new ON-CAMPUS arena. I'm in the minority, I hate the Norman UNP idea. With a passion. I don't care about shopping and dining (outside of the arena). I care about having a successful basketball program. Point blank. I vehemently disagree with those who say it can't be done on-campus. It can be. Where there's a will, there's a way. If others can build new arenas, Texas, Baylor, Georgia State (close enough to campus), Austin Peay, Alabama A&M, James Madison, etc, so can OU. Right now, it's about others having different priorities that aren't 100% about the basketball program. OU needs the right AD (me, lol).

We'd also make things better when it comes to basketball promotion (social media/etc) and make the LNC, for now, a better place to play. We'll look at every idea. Hell, I have no problem taking it to the public arena. HOW CAN WE MAKE THE LNC BETTER FOR YOU? YES, YOU! Tweet that out. Have a questionnaire. Whatever. Somehow, some way, we'd put a fresh coat of paint on the program in every way possible. People will want to support the program. It'll be the cool/hip thing to do. Butts will be in the seats, not empty sponsor tickets.

Okay, we've sorted through (in a very basic manner) some important issues that really limit the program and the coach...so let's get to the right person to lead us forward, the head coach:

There are two coaches who I'd want to lead us right now, Porter Moser or Will Wade.

1. Moser

We already have a contract with Porter so I'd love to get things right with him first and foremost. Others disagree, and that's fine, but I think Moser is a damn good coach. Competitive & knows the game. His major issues, for me, revolve mostly around roster management, or mismanagement, and the adjustment to the high major level from the mid major level. It's taken too long to get to this point roster-wise and it still isn't "perfect". I'd want to add a general manager for basketball. Without looking, or spending much time on it, I don't really have any names off the top of my head....but I'd want someone who knows talent, roster structure, budget, etc. For the most part, I want the coaching staff to focus on coaching. Of course, there will always be a recruiting element (showing up at AAU tourneys/HS games/hosting recruits/etc). With NIL enhanced, and the overall program heading in the right way forward (true support from the admin/donors/etc), I think Moser can win a lot of games at OU.

Having said that, if we do the hard work with NIL, hopefully a better arena plan, etc, and Moser is still unhappy? I'm not upping his salary this season unless his team makes a tourney run....so if he isn't happy with what's on the table, more NIL/GM/arena plan/current salary, I guess he can go fail at DePaul. I wouldn't accept a penny less than $6M (his buyout). We aren't a charity. And I'd be in contact with...

2. Wade

I've said it before, I don't give a rat's ass about the LSU stuff. I just don't care and no one can make me care. Duke, Kentucky, all of the big-time schools cheat, let's not be naive. Wade got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Okay, he's done his time, lol, he has to live/work in Lake Charles, LA. Almost as bad as prison. I kid. If Moser decides that he's married to Chicago and sucking at DePaul, and Wade would accept, he'd be the next OU coach. He knows how to win and he knows how to fill the roster with supreme talent/athletes. I'd prefer him to keep Humphrey as an assistant but not a dealbreaker.

If plan 1 and 2 fail...

I guess I'd mull over, or have convos with, Mark Pope, Kim English, Amir Abdur Rahim, Kyle Smith, and several others. Along with my staff, former players, etc. We'd get the hire right, as much as we can. Not sure on a search firm. I find them to be kind of pointless and a waste of resources. I'd prefer to do it in-house.

What I wouldn't be doing? Hiring a career assistant that has zero head coaching experience.
You're hired. 🤝

1. Moser

2. Wade

If plan 1 and 2 fail...

Attachments

• vote-of-confidence.png
    vote-of-confidence.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 2

1. Moser

2. Wade

If plan 1 and 2 fail...

I selfishly don’t want another on campus arena. Traffic really sucks. Only having to drive to north Norman saves so much time

Just fund beer busses to help students from campus get there

Three Trilly nuggets....

1. Travis Ford's firing (from Saint Louis) should be announced today

2. Justin Hutson is going to be let go at Fresno State. Kind of a duh there. He could land with San Diego State as an assistant (his wife is the WBB coach).

3. Coastal Carolina is going to hire Justin Gray (Western Carolina HC)

Back