'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

One of the DOK articles listed Richard Pitino of UNM as a potential candidate to replace Boynton. I think there's no chance of happening after they took out SDSU. Pitino is walking on sunshine all the way back to Albuquerque after that game.

Pretty good coaching tree.

How did Greg McDermott not succeed at Iowa State, to the point of getting run off to Creighton? And that's with his son as a highly rated recruit coming out of high school at the time he changed jobs?

I guess some guys are better at basketball schools than at football schools. I know ISU isn't a football school like we are, but they play Power conference football and are trying to be good at it.

Last edited:
LOLOLOL

I thought he had been told he wasn't going to be a candidate?

I know he really wants the job, and I know his media career has generally paid better than a life as a career assistant or lower-level head coach. But if he had a career goal of becoming the head coach at OSU, he should have gotten into coaching.

Last edited:
I thought he had been told he wasn't going to be a candidate?

I know he really wants the job, and I know his media career has generally paid better than a life as a career assistant or lower-level head coach. But if he had a career goal of becoming the head coach at OSU, he should have gotten into coaching.
Especially since he wanted it 7-8 years ago over Underwood and then Boynton. If that was his career goal and dream job, should have taken those steps when he was told no.

Plus, he probably also wants it for the pay bump. Doesn't make as much as one might think. Rumors are under $500K, which further adds he should have been in coaching.

He did interview for the UWGB job last year or two, where his dad coached years ago, but didn't get it. It seems as he wants to skip right to being a HC, instead of paying dues.

Last edited:
Especially since he wanted it 7-8 years ago over Underwood and then Boynton. If that was his career goal and dream job, should have taken those steps when he was told no.

Plus, he probably also wants it for the pay bump. Doesn't make as much as one might think. Rumors are under $500K, which further adds he should have been in coaching.

He did interview for the UWGB job last year or two, where his dad coached years ago, but didn't get it. It seems as he wants to skip right to being a HC, instead of paying dues.
I knew he was making good but not great money in media, but I wasn't sure what kind of coaching job he'd be able to get. If he were an assistant at a Power school, perhaps he could have bumped his pay....outside the power conferences, maybe not. And going straight from media to the OSU head coaching job would be a significant bump.

Probably not true (#2...#1 is believable to some degree)....but it would be interesting

I could see both of those things happen.

Tony Bennett is young enough to leave coaching and enjoy his life. He's won a title. The sport has changed. He doesn't need to coach anymore. He can get a job with a network if he wants.

UVa has a female athletic director, and Dawn Staley played there. I could see them talking to her, without a doubt. Whether they'd hire her? Not sure. It's the kind of school that would try it.

UTRGV is going to fire Matt Figger, former Austin Peay HC.

I'm in the RGV. It had to happen...even though I'd argue the RGV job might be bottom 10-20 in CBB. It's a tough place to reside, recruit, etc. You're very isolated and there is very little talent down here.

My question is...why wait until after the portal opened? Maybe it's contractual, I haven't checked.

=============================

On the surface, this is a great hire.

Back