'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

Some have made it sound like Will Wade would be a homerun hire but can someone explain this to me? Even if he didn't have the background/bad reputation that he has, what about his career record (especially at LSU) does this scream "can't miss" guy compared to others that are out there?

Wade record (105-51) at LSU:

Y1- 18-15- no NCAA
Y2- 25-5 (team finished 28-7 but an asst. went 3-2 that season)- 3 seed- lost regional semifinal
Y3- 21-10- no NCAA
Y4- 19-10- 8 seed- lost NCAA 2nd round
Y5- 22-11 (team finished 22-12 but an asst. went 0-1 that season)- 6 seed- lost NCAA first round

Obviously the 25-5 season looks really good but every other year seems to be around where OU has been most of the time the last 10-15 years so how does this hire escalate the program to where a lot of this board seems to think it can go more consistently?
Good point. We may be boosting his stock a bit much based on this mcneese state team's record.. heck, morter poser might have thrown up that record in the southland or whatever conference mcneese is.

I think we are just desperate for a vastly better record improvement and morter poser hasnt really fine that here.

This would be why:

Wade or No WadeYearTeamRecordKPOffDef
Wade
2024​
McNeese St30-4686289
No Wade
2023​
McNeese St11-23335299342
Wade
2022​
LSU22-1221896
Wade
2021​
LSU19-10245123
Wade
2020​
LSU21-10374179
Wade
2019​
LSU28-7191259
Wade
2018​
LSU18-156635136
No Wade
2017​
LSU10-2117280280
Wade
2017​
VCU26-9487241
Wade
2016​
VCU25-1315824
No Wade (*Shaka Smart)
2015​
VCU26-10305826
Wade
2015​
Chattanooga22-10166146188
Wade
2014​
Chattanooga18-15279253264
No Wade
2013​
Chattanooga13-19310263322

View attachment 1228
Honestly mav's post above yours has swayed me more than your post. I think wade is a bit of fool's gold (which the topic is just for fun anyway bc were stuck with our guy...)

This would be why:

Wade or No WadeYearTeamRecordKPOffDef
Wade
2024​
McNeese St30-4686289
No Wade
2023​
McNeese St11-23335299342
Wade
2022​
LSU22-1221896
Wade
2021​
LSU19-10245123
Wade
2020​
LSU21-10374179
Wade
2019​
LSU28-7191259
Wade
2018​
LSU18-156635136
No Wade
2017​
LSU10-2117280280
Wade
2017​
VCU26-9487241
Wade
2016​
VCU25-1315824
No Wade (*Shaka Smart)
2015​
VCU26-10305826
Wade
2015​
Chattanooga22-10166146188
Wade
2014​
Chattanooga18-15279253264
No Wade
2013​
Chattanooga13-19310263322

View attachment 1228
Not being a Jerk, but you say "here's why" like the stats you then provided changed the W/L records for those years and make them look better. Nothing in those stats screams that he is a homerun hire or that he will push for 25+ win seasons/top half of conference finishes consistently at OU.

Moser's first 3 years at OU he won 19, 15 and 20 games.
Wade's last 3 years at LSU (year's 3-5) he won 21, 19 and 22 games (at a conf that was at least slightly worse than Moser's conf on paper). And either didn't make the tourney or lost in the 1st or 2nd round.

I'm not saying the guy is a bad coach, I just don't see him as the guy that's going to bust the door's down at OU when he walks in and take the program to new heights.

Keep in mind, Wade was also getting these results with actions that eventually got him fired....

As hoops said, this is more for fun anyway and who knows, maybe after another year at Mcneese and IF Moser is fired after next season, we could be having this debate after Wade is introduced as the next coach at OU ;)

Not being a Jerk, but you say "here's why" like the stats you then provided changed the W/L records for those years and make them look better. Nothing in those stats screams that he is a homerun hire or that he will push for 25+ win seasons/top half of conference finishes consistently at OU.

Wade's last 3 years at LSU (year's 3-5) he won 21, 19 and 22 games (at a conf that was at least slightly worse than Moser's conf on paper). And either didn't make the tourney or lost in the 1st or 2nd round.

I'm not saying the guy is a bad coach, I just don't see him as the guy that's going to bust the door's down at OU when he walks in and take the program to new heights.

Keep in mind, Wade was also getting these results with actions that eventually got him fired....

As hoops said, this is more for fun anyway and who knows, maybe after another year at Mcneese and IF Moser is fired after next season, we could be having this debate after Wade is introduced as the next coach at OU ;)
I don't favor hiring him because of the obvious reasons, but you can't just look at his wins compared to PM without considering what each program had been like in the years before they were hired. And you also need to look at their full track records -- as we all know, Moser had two really good years and a lot of very poor ones in his very long career before coming here.

It is pretty apparent that Wade is great at quick turn arounds. That would be really hard to disagree with. He instantly improves teams in his first year and teams are worse after he leaves.
After he left LSU, they went:
2023: 14-19 overall (2-16 in conference) KP: 151
2024: 17-16 overall (9-9 in conference) KP: 95

I don't favor hiring him because of the obvious reasons, but you can't just look at his wins compared to PM without considering what each program had been like in the years before they were hired. And you also need to look at their full track records -- as we all know, Moser had two really good years and a lot of very poor ones in his very long career before coming here.

My point was about comparing him to Moser, it's about those that feel Wade would lift OU to new heights or "old" heights on a regular basis again. On paper, Wade doesn't move that needle for me.

Obviously, the next question would be who does? I'm not sure at this point honestly but IMO it's not Wade just based on what he's done previously in the conference OU is heading to next season.

Would Wade make OU competitive for top of the league finishes? I guess you can say that he was competitive with LSU but if Wade came to OU and won 21, 19 and 22 games in years 3-5 and made the tourney 2 out of 3 times and went no further than the 2nd round is that what people here consider a homerun?

Moser didn't make the tournament this year but won 20 games, so I guess we'll see what year 4 brings and compare more at the end of next season :)

*You mentioned about what the program was before Wade got there:

Abd's favorite at the time, Johnny Jones ;):

Jones's last 5 years:

Y5- 10-21 (fired)
Y4- 19-14
Y3- 22-11
Y2- 20-14
Y1- 19-12

Other than that last year he was winning 19-22 games a year which is exactly what Wade did in years 3-5 prior to getting fired.

Last edited:

No jerkiness (offense) taken. My response was merely a, "here is why people want him" He gets wins wherever he goes. We can debate the merit of his system/play at P5 programs and their relevance to Oklahoma's success. That is a good topic to address.

One thing that I did like to see, is his offenses were solid.

He turns around programs with his ability to recruit. Would that work at OU? Unclear. I feel like we would need a revamped NIL structure, donor buy-in, and a GM who is a former agent to help as well.

Just trying to show why people wanted him. I am still Team BuckyBall.

My pro-Wade stance was due to...

the hypothetical of Moser leaving. At the time, it was DePaul. Even though it never really became anything more than background noise/rumors. I wanted to have a little fun imagining OU with an opening, lol.

in that hypothetical, who would be most obtainable?

and playing the "OU has an opening" game, my major issue with Moser is roster construction.

Wade is the kind of guy, as TEvans' post about Wade's records (one-year turnarounds) suggests, who would have flipped this program's talent very fast/easily.

Also, there was so much talk of Kellen being hired and that is/was gross and offensive.

My pro-Wade stance was due to...

the hypothetical of Moser leaving. At the time, it was DePaul. Even though it never really became anything more than background noise/rumors. I wanted to have a little fun imagining OU with an opening, lol.

in that hypothetical, who would be most obtainable?

and playing the "OU has an opening" game, my major issue with Moser is roster construction.

Wade is the kind of guy, as TEvans' post about Wade's records (one-year turnarounds) suggests, who would have flipped this program's talent very fast/easily.

Also, there was so much talk of Kellen being hired and that is/was gross and offensive.
Plus, according to Trilly/rumors, Wade has some kind of self-NIL. I don't know if that's family money or what but the talk is he could pretty much pay NIL out of his own pocket.

And OU is struggling in that realm.

IMG_1946.png

Definitely will be interesting to see how the dominoes fall after this one. I'm sure Arky will be able to hire a fairly big name.

Definitely will be interesting to see how the dominoes fall after this one. I'm sure Arky will be able to hire a fairly big name.
Maybe we have so many portals because our team was informed Moser is taking the Arkansas job

The candidates for Arky are already rumored to be:

Will Wade
Chris Beard
Jerome Tang

Back