'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

It’s such an embarrassing take that he still holds onto for some reason.
Almost as embarrassing as you burying your head in the sand and acting like 95 percent of coaches in America wouldn't kill to take over a job at a school that makes the tourney pretty much every year.

Let's see -- in his own league, Tang, TJ, and Grant all took over much worse situations in the past three years. Unless I am forgetting something -- was Lon fired for being a racist? Did he go 0-19 in his last Big 12 season? Did he miss the tourney his last two or three seasons and have the entire fan base begging for him to be run out of town? If so, my bad -- I guess I just forgot what a mess poor CW inherited.

Almost as embarrassing as you burying your head in the sand and acting like 95 percent of coaches in America wouldn't kill to take over a job at a school that makes the tourney pretty much every year.

Let's see -- in his own league, Tang, TJ, and Grant all took over much worse situations in the past three years. Unless I am forgetting something -- was Lon fired for being a racist? Did he go 0-19 in his last Big 12 season? Did he miss the tourney his last two or three seasons and have the entire fan base begging for him to be run out of town? If so, my bad -- I guess I just forgot what a mess poor CW inherited.

What does any of that have to do with ou’s non-existent NIL that led to vast majority of talent going to the portal? Leaving ou with a bare cupboard and uncompetitive resources to obtain the necessary talent to be the top 25 team we want them to be.

You deflect a lot.

What does any of that have to do with ou’s non-existent NIL that led to vast majority of talent going to the portal? Leaving ou with a bare cupboard and uncompetitive resources to obtain the necessary talent to be the top 25 team we want them to be.
Honest question, what players has OU lost to the Portal that would say was 75%+ NIL related?

Without giving it much though, I'd say 1-2 tops.

OU hasn't struggled signing, on paper, good HS recruits. OU hasn't struggled in the Portal according to some on here. So where is NIL negatively effecting our program? I've conceded that we aren't going to be able to buy the TOP players. I've conceded that likely means we can't expect championships. But why does that have to mean we can't be better than we've been the last three years? I don't think it does. I think, even with our current resources, this program can "do better."

I guess you must be close friends with the players and know their reasons for leaving? Since you know so much, please let us all know how much money all the guys we have lost to the portal made/are making at their new schools. Because surely, there is no way guys like Los, Oweh, and JM wouldn't possibly be leaving for other reasons.

My (dumbed down) analysis of all coaching changes in the Big12 for the last 4-5 years

TeamWhen?Year BeforeYear B4 KP RankCurrent RecCurrent KP RankCoachTE4T Grade?Remarks
Iowa St21-20222-2017129-88TJ OtzelbergerA+About as good as you would want, amazing home court adv
Kansas St22-202314-176119-1570Jerome TangC+Lightning in a bottle year 1, hit in the gonads year 2
Oklahoma21-202216-113920-1246Porter MoserCNo tournaments and bubbled out 2 years out 3. Constant turnover
West Virginia23-202419-15199-23144Josh EilertD-I still don't understand hiring of Eilert. Interim, sure, but an admin guy in house…terrible hire
Texas22-202322-121521-1325Rodney TerryC/C+Under-achieving with the roster set up and resources he has available (Elite 8 though)
Texas Tech22-202316-166323-1131Grant McCaslandB+/A-Love me some Grant M, got them into the tournament and is solid in Texas recruiting (bias)
Cincinnati21-202212-1111622-1539Wes MillerBBetter every year and bubbled last year. Almost made the tournament but seeing success

Honest question, what players has OU lost to the Portal that would say was 75%+ NIL related?

OU hasn't struggled signing, on paper, good HS recruits. OU hasn't struggled in the Portal according to some on here. So where is NIL negatively effecting our program? I've conceded that we aren't going to be able to buy the TOP players. I've conceded that likely means we can't expect championships. But why does that have to mean we can't be better than we've been the last three years? I don't think it does. I think, even with our current resources, this program can "do better."

We were debating about year 1 only. Ou had no organized NIL to offer in year 1, which coupled with the coaching turnover, led to the mass talent exodus to the portal in year 1. The lack of NIL made it very difficult to field a good roster in year 1. It was a dumpster fire.

My (dumbed down) analysis of all coaching changes in the Big12 for the last 4-5 years

TeamWhen?Year BeforeYear B4 KP RankCurrent RecCurrent KP RankCoachTE4T Grade?Remarks
Iowa St21-20222-2017129-88TJ OtzelbergerA+About as good as you would want, amazing home court adv
Kansas St22-202314-176119-1570Jerome TangC+Lightning in a bottle year 1, hit in the gonads year 2
Oklahoma21-202216-113920-1246Porter MoserCNo tournaments and bubbled out 2 years out 3. Constant turnover
West Virginia23-202419-15199-23144Josh EilertD-I still don't understand hiring of Eilert.Interim, sure, but an admin guy in house…terrible hire
Texas22-202322-121521-1325Rodney TerryCUnder-achieving with the roster set up and resources he has available (Elite 8 though)
Texas Tech22-202316-166323-1131Grant McCaslandA-Love me some Grant M, got them into the tournament and is solid in Texas recruiting (bias)
Cincinnati21-202212-1111622-1539Wes MillerBBetter every year and bubbled last year. Almost made the tournament but seeing success
WVA was in an impossible situation. It happened in the summer when they had almost no choices. Think if that happened to OU -- who would you be able to hire in June? You'd be stuck doing the same thing -- promoting someone in-house for the interim role and then making your real hire at the end of the season. I think the gap between Tang and Moser is way more than half a letter grade. It would be one thing if they barely snuck into the tourney in year one and then cratered year two. But his first year was really, really good, and they made the Elite 8. This year wasn't good, but he wasn't several games under .500 like PM was in year two. I'd say he is at worst a B, probably a B+.

We were debating about year 1 only. Ou had no organized NIL to offer in year 1, which coupled with the coaching turnover, led to the mass talent exodus to the portal in year 1. The lack of NIL made it very difficult to field a good roster in year 1. It was a dumpster fire.
No one had NIL in place in April 2021. It didn't exist yet. By the time it went into effect, every school in the country already had their rosters in place. NIL made literaly zero impact on his first-year roster.

WVA was in an impossible situation. It happened in the summer when they had almost no choices. Think if that happened to OU -- who would you be able to hire in June? You'd be stuck doing the same thing -- promoting someone in-house for the interim role and then making your real hire at the end of the season. I think the gap between Tang and Moser is way more than half a letter grade. It would be one thing if they barely snuck into the tourney in year one and then cratered year two. But his first year was really, really good, and they made the Elite 8. This year wasn't good, but he wasn't several games under .500 like PM was in year two. I'd say he is at worst a B, probably a B+.
Oh for sure, it is still...very bleh. Had to have been some better options out there (WVU situation and hire)

Fair on the Tang, I think I could bump him up with the injuries and hamstrung by the admin this year. At the same time, a dip from Elite 8 and the talent he had to this year was a big fall. (Not quite the Moser fall), but a fair assessment.

This year wasn't good, but he wasn't several games under .500 like PM was in year two. I'd say he is at worst a B, probably a B+.
of course you would

The jury is still out on Tang. I have a feeling his first year is going to be his best at KSU. He had a pretty good roster his first year

I guess you must be close friends with the players and know their reasons for leaving? Since you know so much, please let us all know how much money all the guys we have lost to the portal made/are making at their new schools. Because surely, there is no way guys like Los, Oweh, and JM wouldn't possibly be leaving for other reasons.

Last I checked, Los, oweh, jm have weren’t on the team year 1. you are the king of moving goalposts.

KSU signed an nba player that virtually no other power 5 would sign do to liability issues with his health. That was a major factor in his 1 good year at kstate. It worked out for both. I like him as a coach, but kstate took a chance on Johnson.

of course you would

The jury is still out on Tang. I have a feeling his first year is going to be his best at KSU. He had a pretty good roster his first year
Tang's main two guys carried the team the first year. One was on the team when he got there and the other was a player he took a chance on that a lot of other programs stayed away from due to his medical history.

A lot of people thought that Tang did well in the portal last year and of course had the off the court issue with one of his main returning players that eventually was kicked off the team (not by Tang) which disrupted a lot of their season but now they are replacing a lot again this year. So not real sure how that isn't really comparable to Moser when he had a big drop from one year to the next and replaces a lot of guys through the portal.

I tend to agree that his best year might be his first year at KSU especially now that Houston, Arizona, and the others like KU (re-loading), Baylor are going to be at the top of the Big 12.

Last I checked, Los, oweh, jm have weren’t on the team year 1. you are the king of moving goalposts.
I wasn't the one who said anything about year one. That was you. But if you do want to talk just about year one and what led to roster defections. don't embarrass yourself by citing NIL, which didn't exist.

I remember that many insider boards were saying Gibson was offered more to leave, we matched it and the other school offered more and we bowed out. Also they said UNLV offered 2 former players more than us. Obviously other reasons to go to unlv with who coaches.

I wasn't the one who said anything about year one. That was you. But if you do want to talk just about year one and what led to roster defections. don't embarrass yourself by citing NIL, which didn't exist.

Lmao you had the original comment that ou was some great job that he took over. It wasn’t. Try to keep up.

Nil did exist. States had been changing their laws since 2020. Oklahoma lagged behind. Deals were being made by teams who could make them. Ou couldnt.

Lmao you had the original comment that ou was some great job that he took over. It wasn’t. Try to keep up.

Nil did exist. States had been changing their laws since 2020. Oklahoma lagged behind. Deals were being made by teams who could make them. Ou couldnt.
And when OU COULD make deals, they were WAY behind the 8-ball (still are) because of how long they took to get organized.

Back