'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

Sounds like it's down to Billy Donovan...and then Mark Pope?

Kentucky fans are dealing with some hard reality.
I would actually love to see Billy Donovan back in the college game. To me it’s sort of like or would sort of be like Nick Saban returning to college football. Not that he will have those types of results, but it will be interesting to see how he does in today’s game after his tenure in the NBA.

Kentucky fans aren't happy.

Since I genuinely dislike all things Kentucky, I'm laughing.

I do think Pope is a good coach, though. BYU was exciting to watch this year.
wonder if the fan base will use social media to torpedo this hire like A&M and Tennessee fans did with the football programs difference is Mark Pope is one of their own...

Kentucky fans aren't happy.

Since I genuinely dislike all things Kentucky, I'm laughing.

I do think Pope is a good coach, though. BYU was exciting to watch this year.
I get their frustrations. It's Kentucky and they hired a guy with exactly 0 NCAA Tournament wins.

If Kentucky can’t get their guy or their top 3 guys…I shudder to think what OU will be looking at next season when we are hiring the next coach. Yikes.

If Kentucky can’t get their guy or their top 3 guys…I shudder to think what OU will be looking at next season when we are hiring the next coach. Yikes.
Kellen Sampson (@kellenmsampson) / X

And then I'll be just as mad as the UK fans, probably worse. At least Pope has some actual HCing experience.

The timing and the way it all went down wasn't ideal for them to make a good hire.

Kentucky basketball hiring pope feels like OU football hiring john Blake. That’s why they’re pissed.

Kentucky basketball hiring pope feels like OU football hiring john Blake. That’s why they’re pissed.
Same in that they're both alums. John Blake had never been a head coach. Mark Pope had been a winner at Utah Valley and took BYU to the tournament.

But they're mad because they believed they'd get a top 5 coach and got a top 100 coach. It would have been like OU hiring Seth Littrell while he was at North Texas to be head football coach...decent record, but bluebloods don't hire football coaches from North Texas. Kentucky doesn't hire basketball coaches from BYU...until they did.

Back