'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

Buzz was a student manager at OCU in the 90's and is originally from Van Alstyne, Texas, between Sherman and McKinney. He knows Oklahoma and north Texas well.

The issue there is that he's currently 15-13 at A&M and has made one tournament in five years. Joe C. would have a hard time selling him to donors and the fan base. OU would be Buzz's soft landing spot.
Buzz is a hype man. The results overall don’t match the hype.

Buzz was a student manager at OCU in the 90's and is originally from Van Alstyne, Texas, between Sherman and McKinney. He knows Oklahoma and north Texas well.

The issue there is that he's currently 15-13 at A&M and has made one tournament in five years. Joe C. would have a hard time selling him to donors and the fan base. OU would be Buzz's soft landing spot.
Agreed, based on where he's from he's a cultural fit. Just based on his results, demeanor, etc he doesn't seem to be a Joe C hire. He fits perfectly with Texas A&M. Keep him away.

The issue there is that he's currently 15-13 at A&M and has made one tournament in five years. Joe C. would have a hard time selling him to donors and the fan base. OU would be Buzz's soft landing spot, just as DePaul is for Porter.

Something Joe C. might like, though: Buzz doesn't have an agent. He negotiates his own
I wanted buzz after capel. Now he would be meh

Regardless of what some of you think of our program, there aren't a bunch that are much better jobs. There just aren't.

Joe C just needs to do a better job of finding a good fit. I don't care what Moser gives as a reason, culturally, that was never a good fit.
I used to think this, but the game has just changed. We're still a top 25 program all time, but that doesn't mean as much moving forward. Money is the name of the game.

This is just a thought exercise, and put buyout concerns aside. What's the best active division 1 head coach OU could get today?

For example, would TJ Otzelberger leave Iowa St. for OU?

Reading through the Discord, and here are posts from others fwiw:
  • Salary is expected to be very close to what he's making at Oklahoma, would only be a paycut due to cost of living.
  • DePaul's NIL budget for basketball is more than OU's. There's been a recent influx of cash into the program.
Trilly also mentions Kellen and Buzz Williams as the top two options for Oklahoma, but I highly doubt that's true, especially Buzz. He is the definition of not a "cultural fit" lol.
Kellen would be a disaster. No thanks. Never in a million years

i think it’s more about location and depaul willing to spend more than us in NIL. look at rutgers basketball. depaul would be closer to buying two top 5 players than OU, imo.

and kelvin flirted after the season was over, correct? this is what irks me about moser and the egg we laid in orlando that coincided with the first round of rumors. and now with a huge game against cincy.
I'm sure our world class assistant coaches will have us ready. 😂😂

I used to think this, but the game has just changed. We're still a top 25 program all time, but that doesn't mean as much moving forward. Money is the name of the game.

This is just a thought exercise, and put buyout concerns aside. What's the best active division 1 head coach OU could get today?

No. Iowa State is a better basketball job. They've renovated their arena, they fill it with 14,000 every night, and they're probably better on NIL at the moment. And the Big 12 is a slightly better basketball conference than the SEC.

We'll have some SEC money coming in. We'll have to use some to back up a Brink's truck for a coach. We'll be able to get a better coach than we think, but OU will have to support him with NIL and facilities.

Reading through the Discord, and here are posts from others fwiw:
  • Salary is expected to be very close to what he's making at Oklahoma, would only be a paycut due to cost of living.
  • DePaul's NIL budget for basketball is more than OU's. There's been a recent influx of cash into the program.
Trilly also mentions Kellen and Buzz Williams as the top two options for Oklahoma, but I highly doubt that's true, especially Buzz. He is the definition of not a "cultural fit" lol.
CULTURE FIT is a myth!!!!!

Or so I've been told.

What about Alvin brooks from Baylor. Great recruiting connections and he’s a rising star. Idk, just spitballing.

I just think people under-sell our history, and more importantly, our brand. OU means something. Nation-wide, if not globally. Yes, it's generally attached to the football program, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have pull in other sports. It does.

We're moving to the SEC for money. OU has been working on the NIL stuff. It'll come together. And if for some reason it doesn't, the OU football team signed a top 5 class in 2023, coming off one of our worst seasons in a long time. Again, football, I know, but with the right staff we won't have to go buy a bunch of players. Heck, you guys have been doing nothing but hyping up our HS recruiting the past couple of seasons. We didn't buy those guys. We didn't lose them to money. NIL negatively affecting our basketball program has been severely overstated IMO.

Kellen would be a disaster. No thanks. Never in a million years
I don't think anybody knows what kind of HC Kellen is going to be.

I'd take the chance, but I know it's largely nostalgia talking. But the dude has spent time around one of the best. I think that style of basketball and development is what OU needs. And OU is going to look really stupid IF (and maybe that's a big if) Kellen ends up being the goods and OU never made a move on him.

Houston trusts him enough to give him the keys after Kelvin.

Well hate to be an ass but this is shaping up to missing the tourney.
Unfortunately so. I don’t mind that Moser wants to go. But can we not wait until the end of the season? If nothing else then he can atleast hang his hat on the fact that he got OU to the tournament one year. If not, his tenure at OU will be an utter fail.

Back