Big 12 this year

oSuJeff97

Reaction score
Is anyone else REALLY excited about Big 12 basketball this year?

It's really the first time in a while that I've felt like the league is really pretty strong from top to bottom.

I feel like the top of the league is as good as it's been in a while with Kansas, OSU, Iowa State, Baylor and OU all looking very impressive at different times.

Although they haven't looked as good as the teams mentioned above, both Texas and West Virginia look like they are much improved over last year.

Of the main contenders in the league, really Kansas State is the only team that looks like they aren't as good as last year.

Tech and TCU might still struggle, but that doesn't really dampen my excitement for the league this year. I think we're going to have lots of really great games.

It's sometimes hard to tell much from the noncon part of team's schedules, but KU looks vulnerable while ISU, OU, and Texas look better than expected. Could be a free for all. TCU seems to be improving each game and are better than some think IMO.

The Big 12 looks really tough this year. I am definitely excited about Conference play.

League is going to be tough and is almost a lock for 5 teams, and quite possibly 6 in the dance after this really strong non-conference performance.

And Texas knocks off UNC last night.

Another great non-conference win for the league.

Should be a fun conference season!

League is going to be tough and is almost a lock for 5 teams, and quite possibly 6 in the dance after this really strong non-conference performance.

In a down year the Big XII should get 5 teams. In a good or average year the Big XII should get 6 teams. In a great year the Big XII should get 7 teams. The Big 8 once got 6 teams and got 5 teams many times. 6 teams in a 10 team conference is actually less than we got regularly in the old Big 8 and we have lost the two worst basketball programs in Nebraska and Colorado.

In a down year the Big XII should get 5 teams. In a good or average year the Big XII should get 6 teams. In a great year the Big XII should get 7 teams. The Big 8 once got 6 teams and got 5 teams many times. 6 teams in a 10 team conference is actually less than we got regularly in the old Big 8 and we have lost the two worst basketball programs in Nebraska and Colorado.

We barely got 5 last year. OU and Texas are much better than pretty much anyone expected, so this year was looking like 4 going into the season, and that was counting on Scott Drew not screwing up with a talented team.

I do agree with your 5, 6, 7 though for most years. Assuming that Texas can right the ship, Kansas, OSU, Texas, and OU should be tournament teams almost every year, with WVU, Iowa State, KSU and Baylor getting 2 or 3 in every year.

The Big XII was never only getting 4 teams in the Tournament. As fans we have to stop thinking this way. If we don't promote our own conference, who will?

The Big XII did not barely get 5 teams last year. The lowest seeded teams were ISU and OU at 10 seeds. At large bids go as deep as 13 seeds and virtually always include 12 seeds. The Big XII easily got 5 teams last year. Not one Big XII team that made the field was a bubble team in the estimation of the committee based on seeding.

The Big XII was never only getting 4 teams in the Tournament. As fans we have to stop thinking this way. If we don't promote our own conference, who will?

The Big XII did not barely get 5 teams last year. The lowest seeded teams were ISU and OU at 10 seeds. At large bids go as deep as 13 seeds and virtually always include 12 seeds. The Big XII easily got 5 teams last year. Not one Big XII team that made the field was a bubble team in the estimation of the committee based on seeding.

The seeding at the bottom can be altered by wanting to avoid conference rematches and putting teams in various regions, plus the fact that they dramatically underseeded a couple of 12s (much to my delight, and OSU's chagrin). OU squeaked in. That loss at TCU and first round conference tourney loss very much made OU a bubble team. Thankfully we got in, but it was close.

This year we are basically a lock for 5, with a strong possibilty of 6.

I have already posted my prediction. I had something to share on this topic. Kevin Kruger is a nice guy. He is pretty quiet, self contained, and not to chatty.

But, if you engage him, he will respond in a generous fashion. I asked him today if he could find any similarities between this team and any of the UNLV teams that he was familiar with. He said yes this team kind of reminded him of the one his dad had the year after he finished up.

He said that they weren't of the typical size his Dad usually had. They had a 6'8" post. A 6'7" #4, and a 5'10" shooting guard. The point guard was 6'4". He said that they were fast, had shooters that could score and that they had to scrap and scrape for everything that they got.

That team won their conference and one NCAA tournament game.

Four maybe five conference teams make the NCAA.

Are you even paying attention to the results of this college basketball season. The Big XII has the top RPI. The Big XII is guaranteed 4 teams and will get somewhere between 5-7 teams in the tournament, especially if the conference has a good day today. After today the conference should cruise through the rest of non-conference play and lock up its high RPI.

ISU, OSU, OU, Texas, Baylor and KU are likely all going to the NCAA Tournament.

Back