NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

I don't think it's meaningless at all. As a matter of fact, it's my favorite stat. It shows your true value as a player, because after all, isn't it about getting more points than the other team? Also, it shows the value of guys that aren't volume shooters/scorers and who do the other things, the little things. Like rebounding, defense, overall cohesiveness and glue. The things that aren't given as much attention.

Put me on the court with Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Shaq in their prime, and my +/- will be pretty high. Because I'd be smart enough to let those guys do their thing (and they'd be smart enough not to let me touch the ball) and whichever member of the opposing team went off because of my presence on the floor would hardly make up for the talents of that foursome.

I've seen too many instances where a particular player went off -- scoring a ton of points, racking up rebounds and assists and sometimes even blocks and steals -- but because he was the rest of his team stunk, his +/- score was lousy.

Maybe it has value over the course of a full season, but even then, it's too greatly affected by who the player's teammates are to be of much use.

Put me on the court with Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Shaq in their prime, and my +/- will be pretty high. Because I'd be smart enough to let those guys do their thing (and they'd be smart enough not to let me touch the ball) and whichever member of the opposing team went off because of my presence on the floor would hardly make up for the talents of that foursome.

I've seen too many instances where a particular player went off -- scoring a ton of points, racking up rebounds and assists and sometimes even blocks and steals -- but because he was the rest of his team stunk, his +/- score was lousy.

Maybe it has value over the course of a full season, but even then, it's too greatly affected by who the player's teammates are to be of much use.

The best way to do it is compare the teams average +/- with the players average. You can also see each lineups +/- average on the season so you can see if a player has a hike or dip when he’s with certain people.

So, Buddy was the Elijah Harklesss in that game, the glue guy who played solid defense, rebounded well and made a couple of steals to have a positive influence on the outcome. That, I can understand.

What I don’t get is why all of those shots he missed didn’t have a greater impact on his + - score? After all, missed shots often end in a turnover that gives the opponent an opportunity to score, while resulting in zero points for your own team.

Your explanations definitely helped me to have a better understanding of the + - scoring system. I’ll stop there with a semi-positive thought and a sincere thank you for trying. :D

Trae Young is playing well in the first half but his team is trailing against Chicago.

Young with 33 points 7 assists and 2 steals. Atlanta dominated the 2nd half and won 108-97 after being down about 10 at the half.

Blake with 11 points 7 rebounds and a nice put back dunk. Bucks beat the Nets 117-114

Buddy with 27 points 6 rebounds, 3 assists. Kings beat the Mavs 111-99

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

21 points 11 assists, 6 rebounds and 6 turnovers for Trae Young in a Hawks win over Portland 123-114.

Blake with 9 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block. Nets lose to the Bucks 124-118

Buddy with 18 points 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block Kings beat the Thunder 103-99

Trae had 16 points, 12 assists, 2 rebounds and a steal as the Hawks routed the Suns.

Buddy had 16 points, 8 assists, 8 boards and 2 steals in a road win over the Pacers.

Buddy seems to be taking DeAaron Fox's role as a PG now with his assist totals lately.

Buddy seems to be taking DeAaron Fox's role as a PG now with his assist totals lately.

Halliburton is also out for the season so they’ve had to change their offense and Buddy has been handling it more, even though he isn’t actually playing point from what I gather. Nice to see him doing a good job with the added responsibility since ball handling has been a weakness for him.

Blake with 10 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal in a start as the Nets have some players out. Mavs beat the Nets 113-109

Trae with 25 points 9 assists Hawks trail the Pacers with around 5 minutes left.

Trae finished with 30 points and 10 assists. Pacers beat the Hawks.

Buddy with 17 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals in a 113-104 loss to the Spurs. They aren't eliminated from the play in yet but it is up hill for them to get it now.

Blake scored 20 points. Brooklyn beat Denver 125-119

Buddy with 14 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 steal, 2 blocks. Kings beat the Thunder 126-98

Trae with 36 points 9 assists, 6 rebounds leading the Hawks over the Wizards 125-124

13 points 4 rebounds, 4 assists for Blake in a 115-107 win over Chicago

Back