>>>>>Oklahoma vs. Kansas Gameday Thread<<<<<

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211402498

TUESDAY'S GAME BASICS
Oklahoma (6-8, 0-3 Big 12) hits the Lloyd Noble Center court for the first time in 2017 when it hosts No. 2/2 Kansas (14-1, 3-0 Big 12) for ESPN’s Super Tuesday. Kansas has won 14 games in a row while the Sooners are looking to snap a six-game losing streak. An unranked Sooner team has defeated a top five opponent on five occasions in program history (three of which have been against KU) – most recently when OU topped No. 5 Kansas, 76-66, on Feb. 9, 2013. Should Oklahoma be victorious Tuesday, it will be the first time a sub-.500 OU team has ever defeated a top five opponent.

Tuesday’s matchup is the fourth game in a loaded five-game stretch to open Big 12 play. OU’s first five opponents (No. 1/1 Baylor, TCU, No. 25/RV Kansas State, No. 2/2 Kansas and Texas Tech) combine for a record of 66-9 (.880).

ON THE AIR
Tuesday’s contest tips off at 8 p.m. CT and air on the Sooner Radio Network (KRXO 107.7 FM “The Franchise” in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa) with Toby Rowland and Kevin Henry announcing. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN2 with Bob Wischusen, Fran Fraschilla and Holly Rowe calling the action.

SERIES HISTORY
• The Sooners and Jayhawks have met 210 previous times - the second most contests against any opponent in Oklahoma history. The Sooners have only faced Oklahoma State (231 games) more times than the Jayhawks.

• Kansas leads the overall series, 144-66. The Jayhawks are the only Big 12 team to own a winning record all-time against the Sooners. KU leads the series in Norman, 49-42.

• The Jayhawks swept the Sooners last season in two closely-contested matchups that included a triple-overtime thriller at Allen Fieldhouse. Buddy Hield scored 46 points in the 109-106 loss and shot 8-of-15 from 3-point range.

FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
• Through three Big 12 games, Oklahoma boasts a conference-best 29.3 bench points per game in league competition. The Sooners are one of only four Big 12 squads to average over 20 bench points in league games as the conference averages 17.8 per contest. OU has been paced in Big 12 play by a team-leading 13.3 points per game from freshman guard Kameron McGusty. The freshman has led the Sooners in scoring the past two games, scoring 11 points at TCU on Jan. 3 before producing a career-high 20 points at Kansas State on Jan. 7. McGusty’s performance against K-State was the first 20-point game by a freshman since Jordan Woodard in 2014 and the most points scored by a Sooner off the bench since Romero Osby notched 22 in 2012.

• One of the youngest teams in both the Big 12 and the nation, Oklahoma has seen its freshmen and sophomores play a large role for the Sooners this season. The Sooner roster boasts 11 underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) – the most of any OU team in the Lon Kruger era and the most of any Big 12 roster this season. The young Sooners have received ample experience through their first three Big 12 contests. OU freshmen have played a total of 257 minutes (most in Big 12) and have scored 46.8 percent of OU’s points in Big 12 play - the highest percentage in the conference. Sooner underclassmen rank second in the Big 12 in total minutes played in conference competition (464) and have scored 74.3 percent of Oklahoma’s points the past three games (second in Big 12).

• Entering the month of January without a double-digit scoring game on the season, junior guard Darrion Strong-Moore racked up 10 points for the second-consecutive game in Saturday's game against Kansas State. Strong-Moore shot 4-of-7 from the field and 2-of-3 from 3-point range while dishing out four assists in his starting debut. In three games of Big 12 play, Strong-Moore is averaging 8.7 points (second on team) while shooting 50 percent from both the field (10-of-20) and 3-point range (6-of-12).

• Freshman forward Matt Freeman sunk a 3-pointer for the fourth consecutive game on Saturday. The freshman has sunk a deep ball in six of his last seven outings and is shooting 4-of-8 (.500) from 3-point range during Big 12 competition.

• The Sooners look to snap a six-game losing streak on Tuesday against Kansas. Despite losing eight games this season, the Sooners have found themselves with a chance to win in almost every contest this year. Oklahoma has led at halftime in five of its eight losses and has led at the half in two of its three true road games this season (at Wisconsin on Dec. 3 and at TCU on Jan. 3). Five of OU’s eight losses have been decided by six points or less.

Re: >>>>>Oklahoma vs. Kansas Pregame Thread<<<<<

Bold Prediction: McGusty 25 points in first start.

Shock the world tonight young men!

Jamuni should get all of Freeman's playing time tonight. OU needs rebounding and defense, Freeman offers none of that. I really don't see much upside in Freeman other than an occasional 3pt off the bench.

They need to show some grit and tenacity!

Let's get that W!

Jamuni should get all of Freeman's playing time tonight. OU needs rebounding and defense, Freeman offers none of that. I really don't see much upside in Freeman other than an occasional 3pt off the bench.

Wow.

I think Freeman has great potential.

Well, you win by scoring more points. Freeman can score, Jamuni cannot.

Different players. I'd play jamuni more vs kansas. And he has developed a pretty decent baby hook

Freeman should play a majority of his minutes when the Sooners go cold shooting. If we are like 1/5 or in the midst of like one basket in a couple minutes, he should shoot us out of the slump IMO

hopefully they can keep it close 10-15pts

Re: >>>>>Oklahoma vs. Kansas Gameday Thread<<<<<

I'm expecting us to hang tough the first 6-8 minutes a game....giving me false hope. Then we will get run out of the gym and it will be a 20 point game by halftime. I'll probably stop watching and check the score with about 15 minutes left. I'll see that we have cut it to 15 and i'll think "that's cute. I hope we can keep this there". Then I'll check again with 10 minutes left not realizing that KU has all but stopped even trying realizing the game is over and we will have cut it to 9 points. SO I force myself to turn the game back on and watch KU finish us off to win by 17 points

I'm expecting us to hang tough the first 6-8 minutes a game....giving me false hope. Then we will get run out of the gym and it will be a 20 point game by halftime. I'll probably stop watching and check the score with about 15 minutes left. I'll see that we have cut it to 15 and i'll think "that's cute. I hope we can keep this there". Then I'll check again with 10 minutes left not realizing that KU has all but stopped even trying realizing the game is over and we will have cut it to 9 points. SO I force myself to turn the game back on and watch KU finish us off to win by 17 points

I chuckled. Been there!

Compete!!!! That's what I want to see. If we can start doing that for complete games we will get some wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodard will play tonight, but not start, per Kruger via Toby Rowland.

Well, you can also win by playing defense and preventing the other team from scoring. Or, you could do some of both.

Both have talent and potential. Both should play.

I really don't think it matters much who starts but at least don't get blown off your home court....keep it within 10-15pts

Dang Lattin. Focus my man

No issue with effort. Just need to make some plays

I am so sick and effing tired of these players blowing wide open layups. :facepalm

Back