Oklahoma's Big 12 Schedule is set

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080912aae.html

NORMAN, Okla. -- The Big 12 Conference released its 90-game 2013 men's basketball schedule today, the only double round-robin slate in the nation among the six major conferences. Oklahoma, which begins its league schedule Jan. 5 at West Virginia, will have 17 of its 18 conference games televised nationally or regionally.

Two-thirds of OU's league contests will air on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. OU's 12 national TV appearances are its most ever in regular season conference play (previous high was 10 in 2008-09).

Head coach Lon Kruger's Sooners will play their nine league home games Jan. 12 vs. Oklahoma State (ESPN2), Jan. 16 vs. Texas Tech (Big 12 Network), Jan. 21 vs. Texas (ESPN Big Monday), Feb. 2 vs. Kansas State (ESPN2), Feb. 9 vs. Kansas (ESPN or ESPN2), Feb. 11 vs. TCU (ESPNU), Feb. 23 vs. Baylor (ESPNU), March 2 vs. Iowa State (Big 12 Network) and March 6 vs. West Virginia (ESPN2).

OU will play its nine road games Jan. 5 at West Virginia (Big 12 Network), Jan. 19 at Kansas State (Big 12 Network), Jan. 26 at Kansas (ESPN), Jan. 30 at Baylor (ESPNU), Feb. 4 at Iowa State (ESPNU), Feb. 16 at Oklahoma State (Big 12 Network), Feb. 20 at Texas Tech (ESPNU), Feb. 27 at Texas (ESPN2) and March 9 at TCU (television TBD).
Complete 2013 Big 12 Men's Basketball Schedule

The Sooners will play their first ESPN Big Monday game since 2010 when they host Texas on Jan. 21 at 8:30 p.m. CT. OU will also play a pair of Monday games that will be televised by ESPNU (Feb. 4 at Iowa State and Feb. 11 vs. TCU; both at 6 p.m. CT).

In March, the Phillips 66 Big 12 Men’s Basketball Championship will continue to be televised on a variety of ESPN platforms, including ESPN, ESPN2 and in regional syndication on the Big 12 Network. The Championship will begin with two first-round games on Wednesday evening, March 13, followed by the quarterfinals, semifinals and title contest in successive days.

The Big 12 Network is in its fifth year, with games seen throughout the conference’s geographic footprint and produced by ESPN Regional Television. It has been or will be distributed in numerous other markets, including New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Phoenix, San Diego, Milwaukee, Baltimore and Providence. Among all the televised games, most will be shown as part of ESPN Full Court and available on WatchESPN.

The Big 12 has been rated among the top three conferences in the final RPI each of the past five seasons -- no other conference can make that claim. In addition, the 19 teams that have advanced to the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight since 2002 is a total that ranks first nationally.

The Sooners return 88 percent of their scoring, 81 percent of their rebounding and 78 percent of their assists from last year's 15-16 team. All five starters are back.

Oklahoma's 2013 Big 12 schedule appears below. Dates and times are subject to change. For ticket information, contact the OU Athletics Ticket Office by phone at (800) 456-4668 or by email at outickets@ou.edu.

Oklahoma's 2013 Big 12 Men's Basketball Schedule
Jan. 5 -- at West Virginia
Jan. 12 -- Oklahoma State -- ESPN2
Jan. 16 -- Texas Tech
Jan 19 -- at Kansas State
Jan. 21 -- Texas -- ESPN
Jan. 26 -- at Kansas -- ESPN
Jan. 30 -- at Baylor -- ESPNU
Feb. 2 -- Kansas State -- ESPN2
Feb. 4 -- at Iowa State -- ESPNU
Feb. 9 -- Kansas -- ESPN/ESPN2
Feb. 11 -- TCU -- ESPNU
Feb. 16 -- at Oklahoma State
Feb. 20 -- at Texas Tech -- ESPNU
Feb. 23 -- Baylor -- ESPNU
Feb. 27 -- at Texas -- ESPN2
March 2 -- Iowa State
March 6 -- West Virginia -- ESPN2
March 9 -- at TCU
March 13-16 -- Big 12 Tournament

Re: OKlahoma's Big 12 Schedule is set

No real complains from me. Probably wish that first game was either at home, or against lighter competition (give the youngsters a taste of Big 12 life in a more winnable environment), but other than that, looks good.

only 1 conf home game conflict with the Thunder ...

Not sure what to think about it being front loaded or back loaded. On one hand, you want our young guys to get accustomed to big 12 play and the speed of the game, but I guess we can get amped up in non-conference.

They will probably take their lumps first half, but by then they will have played together over 20 games, and the freshman will be contributing, and can come streaking down the stretch with winnable games of TCU x 2, OSU, ISU etc. Might help build momentum for tourney's

Not sure what to think about it being front loaded or back loaded. On one hand, you want our young guys to get accustomed to big 12 play and the speed of the game, but I guess we can get amped up in non-conference.

They will probably take their lumps first half, but by then they will have played together over 20 games, and the freshman will be contributing, and can come streaking down the stretch with winnable games of TCU x 2, OSU, ISU etc. Might help build momentum for tourney's

I feel the same way. It looks like we could be behind the 8 ball alittle for a spell. But, have a chance to finish strong.

The Sooners need to sweep both games from the likes of TCU and Tech.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080912aae.html

Oklahoma's 2013 Big 12 Men's Basketball Schedule
Jan. 5 -- at West Virginia
Jan. 12 -- Oklahoma State -- ESPN2
Jan. 16 -- Texas Tech
Jan 19 -- at Kansas State
Jan. 21 -- Texas -- ESPN
Jan. 26 -- at Kansas -- ESPN
Jan. 30 -- at Baylor -- ESPNU
Feb. 2 -- Kansas State -- ESPN2
Feb. 4 -- at Iowa State -- ESPNU
Feb. 9 -- Kansas -- ESPN/ESPN2
Feb. 11 -- TCU -- ESPNU
Feb. 16 -- at Oklahoma State
Feb. 20 -- at Texas Tech -- ESPNU
Feb. 23 -- Baylor -- ESPNU
Feb. 27 -- at Texas -- ESPN2
March 2 -- Iowa State
March 6 -- West Virginia -- ESPN2
March 9 -- at TCU
March 13-16 -- Big 12 Tournament

Could OU head into that KU game with a 4-1 record? I think they might. They will likely lose at West Virginia. (I think lots of teams are going to lose at West Virginia). Honestly, I don't like being the first game in Morgantown. I suspect they will be assured of a big crowd for their first Big XII game. I think KSU is winnable on the road.

I think they lose the next two but then have a chance to win 4 in but will have to win in Ames and beat KU at home (Perhaps 3-1 is more realistic). If they can beat Tech on the road and Baylor at home they should go 2-2 over the next four (a win on the road against OSU is not out of the question). The final three games of the season are winnable.

Looking at the schedule, I think OU can win 4 road games (Tech, TCU, ISU and KSU) and 8 home games. Honestly, I don't think 12-6 is out the question. I see a couple of road games that I would not pick OU but are winnable (OSU and Texas). I am cautiously optimistic. It sure was nicer in the early part of this century when home wins were virtually guaranteed and .500 or above road record was going to happen.

Final three games are very winnable, huge advantage when it comes to tournament time.

Back