>>>>>>>OU-Kansas State Game Thread<<<<<<<

Re: >>>>>>>OU-Kansas State Game Thread<<<<<<<

We got called for a foul everytime they went inside, no matter who was defending. That's why we went to a zone. And it worked. They didn't score till that 3 the last 5 minutes or something like that.

We are also OVERLY aggressive on D. Which is fine, that is kind of our MO. But it lends itself to foul calls. KSU didn't try to swat everything 5 rows up when we had the ball inside. Of course, they didn't have to. They have more size and spring inside. I like Spangler and Thomas, but one is 6'6 and the other plays below the rim. You don't have to jump out of the gym to limit those guys inside.

Does that make it a shot clock violation if it was tipped? Never heard of that rule.

In MI Sooner's defense it is frustrating when we lose every single time right when we think we could be turning the corner.

Sure the refs had a few crappy calls but we played like a heaping pile of dung which is what it takes to lose to a below average team like KSU.

If it was tipped after the horn sounded. It looked like the shot was blocked by Bennett, went up in the air, the horn sounded, a KSU player came in trying for a tip, and jammed it against the rim. Of course we never got a replay, so all I had was that one live look, but that's what it looked like to me.

Ether way, the other obvious shot clock violation we did have a million looks at, and was the difference in the final score of the game.

Cousins hasn't shown up a lot of the last several games. Till near the end none of our offense showed up. You can't beat KSU and the officials when you have that bad an offensive performance.

It'd be nice to see a team overcome horrendous officiating, and we almost did. But officiating like that gets in a team's head. When every key call goes against you (including some real doozies, like the 3-point shot that wasn't), it's generally going to impact your play. You don't -- you can't -- play with the same abandon, and it certainly impacts rebounding.

We had five players with three or more fouls. Spangler left the game (almost) for good with 14 minutes to play, and his last two fouls were absurd. They should have been calls in our favor, not fouls against us.

KSU made 13 baskets. They shot 26.5% for the game (sorry, I'm not willing to round that one up.) They got three points that they absolutely did not earn.

And they robbed us on our final play. Cousins hit the tying three, but of course, we finally got a whistle on a touch foul when we least could afford it.

I wish we'd shot better, but we shot better than KSU did.

Sorry, but the preening tough guys who will insist it's wimpy to cite the officiating can kiss my behind tonight. This one is on the officials. We almost won despite their efforts, but they kept KSU in the game early and in the lead late.

We are also OVERLY aggressive on D. Which is fine, that is kind of our MO. But it lends itself to foul calls. KSU didn't try to swat everything 5 rows up when we had the ball inside. Of course, they didn't have to. They have more size and spring inside. I like Spangler and Thomas, but one is 6'6 and the other plays below the rim. You don't have to jump out of the gym to limit those guys inside.

We do try for too many blocks instead of just trying to get a rebound. Bennett goes for the weak side block (even when he doesn't come within 3 feet of the ball) every time. That's why his rebounding numbers are practically inexistent, even in games like tonight where he gets real minutes.

They definitely were both neutralized tonight.

If it was tipped after the horn sounded. It looked like the shot was blocked by Bennett, went up in the air, the horn sounded, a KSU player came in trying for a tip, and jammed it against the rim. Of course we never got a replay, so all I had was that one live look, but that's what it looked like to me.

To me too, but I went back and looked right away and it did nick off the rim on the shot.

I needle skyvue because he always wails about the officiating ( :) ) but it's hard to believe we lost this game. K-State made 13 shots the entire game.

One shot every THREE minutes. Incredible.

F Foster. I hope he gets a nasty ingrown toenail.

To me too, but I went back and looked right away and it did nick off the rim on the shot.
This is correct. It nicked the rim. First violation, though, was WAY worse than Victor Williams in Stillwater.

KState plays good perimeter D and they held us inside. Kudos to them. When Foster headed over to that part of the court I knew what final shot was coming. Made my stomach rumble. Oh well.

KState plays good perimeter D and they held us inside. Kudos to them. When Foster headed over to that part of the court I knew what final shot was coming. Made my stomach rumble. Oh well.

Easy to hold us inside when Bennett gets a ton of minutes thanks to Spangler fouling by being tossed to the ground.

These types of games are the ones where you want to see lon Kruger up in the refs face in the first half.

I wish Henson would have gotten a techincal because we know Kruger won't take one.

I needle skyvue because he always wails about the officiating ( :) ) but it's hard to believe we lost this game. K-State made 13 shots the entire game.

I do, I'll cop to it. Officials play a larger role in college basketball than in any other sport, pro or amateur, and it's maddening. And there are instances like tonight where they absolutely dominate the game.

In our last game, we didn't shoot a free throw until there were six minutes left in the game. We won going away, so it didn't matter, but it was still absurd. There is no logical justification for that.

Spangler's last two fouls tonight (I questioned a couple of his earlier fouls, too, but I don't want to be greedy here) were ridiculous. He's been our best player of late and missed more half of the second half. Not because he was playing recklessly or not playing smart, but because of terrible officiating. You could show his fourth foul to 1,000 basketball fans around the country and 999 of them would question the call.

KSU didn't deserve to win the game tonight. The only thing they did better than us was rebound (all credit to them for that) and shoot from behind the arc (they hit five -- four, really; we hit three).

But they shot 26.5 percent. They made 13 baskets.

The officials played an inexcusably huge role in this game, and I won't apologize for stating it.

If we'd had Monday's crew calling tonight's game, we'd have won by 15 points. Even if we didn't shoot a free throw until there were six minutes remaining in the game.

Anybody know where you can find the total number of fouls called on teams throughout the season? Or FT's by opponent?

Anybody know where you can find the total number of fouls called on teams throughout the season? Or FT's by opponent?

I could be wrong (as always) but I don't think it is an official stat so I suspect you'd have to go to a team site and add it up by individual game.

Ether way, the other obvious shot clock violation we did have a million looks at, and was the difference in the final score of the game.

I've been watching it on DVR just to make sure. It grazed the rim on the way down.

We played like crap - again. The refs didn't help. Now we have to recover quickly because Texas will run us out of the LNC of we don't.

I could be wrong (as always) but I don't think it is an official stat so I suspect you'd have to go to a team site and add it up by individual game.

I'm too lazy to do that.

But my hunch is, OU gets called for more fouls than KSU. I know we shoot fewer FT's per game than they did. Plus it was at their place. I bet if you could produce a factor for each of those, it wouldn't seem so crazy that they shot 18 more FT's than we did. Or at least, math could account for most of that difference.

Check some box scores from around college today. Not all that uncommon to have large variations from team to team (not directed at you opsooner).

I'm too lazy to do that.

But my hunch is, OU gets called for more fouls than KSU. I know we shoot fewer FT's per game than they did. Plus it was at their place. I bet if you could produce a factor for each of those, it wouldn't seem so crazy that they shot 18 more FT's than we did. Or at least, math could account for most of that difference.

Check some box scores from around college today. Not all that uncommon to have large variations from team to team (not directed at you opsooner).

I haven't checked the boxes but 18 is a lot when the losing team is not trying to foul late to lengthen the game.

I'm too lazy to do that.

Perhaps you missed it, but I went to SoonerSports.com and checked our free throws made stats for home games during Big XII play this year. Over 6 home games, we averaged 4.33 points more per game than our opponents. The most we ever had was 9. There were 2 games where we had less than our opponents. 15 points would seem to be far more than average and much more than we usually see at home.

Last edited:
Back