'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

The Rice rumors have been focused on two names: Griff Aldrich (Longwood) & Josh Pastner (former Memphis/GT)

Both would make sense. Aldrich has an unconventional story. He left a job as partner at a high-profile Houston law firm to enter college coaching. Rice would fit for him.

Pastner grew up in Kingwood, and his dad was a longtime AAU coach in Houston.

Any indication on how revenue is determined, or what it consists of? That seems like a crazy number, just curious what all is included.
Ticket sales, media rights, royalties/licensing (merchandise), donations. And Louisville is a true basketball area, they are always on the shortlists with Seattle/KC/Mexico City to get the next NBA expansion team.

Ticket sales, media rights, royalties/licensing (merchandise), donations. And Louisville is a true basketball area, they are always on the shortlists with Seattle/KC/Mexico City to get the next NBA expansion team.
Media rights would be the same for all ACC schools, no?

It was just tough to understand how they could be so much higher than anybody else. Ticket sales.....that much more than other schools? Donations is possible as a reason why. Would love to see a breakdown. The info is probably out there somewhere.

Wow. They must have found the money.

Boynton was the stopgap hire when Brad Underwood ditched them after a year. He got seven years, partly because people liked him, partly because they were investing in football, and partly because he had Cade Cunningham for a year.
I think his record against OU (at least until this season) helped him a lot, too. Maybe JM's shot not only got us in the tourney, but sealed his fate. Probably an oversimplification, but another win over us couldn't have hurt his cause.

It was just tough to understand how they could be so much higher than anybody else. Ticket sales.....that much more than other schools? Donations is possible as a reason why. Would love to see a breakdown. The info is probably out there somewhere.
They fill (or at least did) an 22,000 seat downtown NBA-quality arena. They are a traditional power that has always drawn well and has generated lots of donations from the powerbrokers in the city of Louisville.

Kentucky is the blueblood traditional program, loved by everyone in the state outside of Louisville. The Louisville program arose decades ago as a peer to UK, supported by the residents and natives of Louisville.

Instead of a "Kentucky vs Kentucky A&M" dynamic, it's Kentucky (the state) vs Louisville (the city).

It'd be like if we had one big state school in Oklahoma (OU) and a big state-supported city school in either OKC or Tulsa as its peer.

Edit: Arena capacity corrected. h/t BoulderSooner

Last edited:
I think his record against OU (at least until this season) helped him a lot, too. Maybe JM's shot not only got us in the tourney, but sealed his fate. Probably an oversimplification, but another win over us couldn't have hurt his cause.
Having 12 wins 7 years in hurt him the most. Having 1 NCAA tournament season in 7 years probably hurt the most.

they have an NBA level of suites and club seats ... all pretty much sold out .. with the donations required to get them ..

They fill (or at least did) an 18,000 seat downtown NBA-quality arena. They are a traditional power that has always drawn well and has generated lots of donations from the powerbrokers in the city of Louisville.

Kentucky is the blueblood traditional program, loved by everyone in the state outside of Louisville. The Louisville program arose decades ago as a peer to UK, supported by the residents and natives of Louisville.

Instead of a "Kentucky vs Kentucky A&M" dynamic, it's Kentucky (the state) vs Louisville (the city).

It'd be like if we had one big state school in Oklahoma (OU) and a big state-supported city school in either OKC or Tulsa as its peer.
22k arena ..

His name will definitely be thrown out there, whether just speculation or he is an actual candidate.
That would be a disaster. I hope they hire him just like i hoped theyd hire Boynton back in the day. I told all of my osu friends hed be a disaster

Back