'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

If I am Oklahoma State.......

Head Coach: Doug Gottlieb
Assistant: Brian Montonati
Assistant: Scott Sutton
Assistant: Sean Sutton
Assistant: James Dickey

The Suttons and Dickey have 597 wins as head coaches.

100% pure Oklahoma State coaching staff... Montonati brings his son with him.
Abd you are cray cray. Hiring a dude that isn't even a coach is crazier than hiring boyton in the first place

Gottlieb recruits and talks to the press while the Suttons/Dickey do game planning/X's & O's?

This is an absolute terrible take.

Who is gonna recruit? His son is a soph.
he’s an avg coach. Had to recruit at owasso just to win this year:

I think his record against OU (at least until this season) helped him a lot, too. Maybe JM's shot not only got us in the tourney, but sealed his fate. Probably an oversimplification, but another win over us couldn't have hurt his cause.
His record is 7-7 against OU so I do not know if it helped him alot

His record is 7-7 against OU so I do not know if it helped him alot
Which means he was 7-5 until this season, and had won four of his past five. That absolutely helped him with OSU fans.
Boynton's record against OU was 8-8, 4-3 against PM, 4-5 vs. LK. But only finished ahead of OU in the conference just once in 7 years. Fans may like him, may like him for his record against OU from 2021-2023, but their real attitudes showed up in their dismal attendance and interest in the program. Even against OU, he's just a .500 coach.

JMac's shot did not impact his job, even if he would have missed. Attendance, about .500 overall in seven years and only one NCAA appearance are the reasons he was fired

Boynton's record against OU was 8-8, 4-3 against PM, 4-5 vs. LK. But only finished ahead of OU in the conference just once in 7 years. Fans may like him, may like him for his record against OU from 2021-2023, but their real attitudes showed up in their dismal attendance and interest in the program. Even against OU, he's just a .500 coach.

JMac's shot did not impact his job, even if he would have missed. Attendance, about .500 overall in seven years and only one NCAA appearance are the reasons he was fired
Think it's hard to get to or want to go to Norman on a weeknight? Try Stillwater, especially when the team is mediocre.

The Thunder has hurt the programs at both OU and OSU, without a doubt. People prefer the NBA product, especially when the team is good.

Berry Tramel writes about the difficulty of the OSU job today. He's an OSU basketball homer, as that was his first beat many years ago when he went to work for the Oklahoman. He's one of those guys that equates OSU basketball with OU football (It's not...it's not even equal to OU basketball). His point, though: only two coaches have ever been successful at OSU: Henry Iba and Eddie Sutton. Outside of those two coaches, they're very mediocre.

His point, though: only two coaches have ever been successful at OSU: Henry Iba and Eddie Sutton. Outside of those two coaches, they're very mediocre.
The Aggies hate hearing that, but it's true. And once Iba moved out of the Valley and into the Big 8 he fell off a cliff as well. Eddie Sutton is the only one to sustain success up there in the last 60 years. And his biggest selling point (as the Last Chance Saloon for transfers) is a relic with the portal now out of control.

Think it's hard to get to or want to go to Norman on a weeknight? Try Stillwater, especially when the team is mediocre.

The Thunder has hurt the programs at both OU and OSU, without a doubt. People prefer the NBA product, especially when the team is good.

Berry Tramel writes about the difficulty of the OSU job today. He's an OSU basketball homer, as that was his first beat many years ago when he went to work for the Oklahoman. He's one of those guys that equates OSU basketball with OU football (It's not...it's not even equal to OU basketball). His point, though: only two coaches have ever been successful at OSU: Henry Iba and Eddie Sutton. Outside of those two coaches, they're very mediocre.

Tramel can blame it on the Thunder all he wants, but their total fan apathy, outside of the OU and KU games, has more to do with the fact they've only made the NCAA 7 of 17 years and not made it past the first weekend since the Thunder arrived to town, and had coaches like Travis Ford and Mike Boynton during that time.

Is he also going to blame the lack of sellouts at Boone Pickens on the Thunder, too? OSU fans only care about rooting against OU and jumping on the band wagon. That's the only time they show up in any sport. They are NOT a dedicated fanbase.

Combined with a poor managed athletic department most of those years, outside of Boone Pickens money, they really don't have much to be excited.

Tramel can blame it on the Thunder all he wants, but their total fan apathy, outside of the OU and KU games, has more to do with the fact they've only made the NCAA 7 of 17 years and not made it past the first weekend since the Thunder arrived to town, and had coaches like Travis Ford and Mike Boynton during that time.

Is he also going to blame the lack of sellouts at Boone Pickens on the Thunder, too? OSU fans only care about rooting against OU and jumping on the band wagon. That's the only time they show up in any sport. They are NOT a dedicated fanbase.

Combined with a poor managed athletic department most of those years, outside of Boone Pickens money, they really don't have much to be excited.
Underwood leaving osu crushed them. He is a good coach for osu.

the osu decline in attendance all started with Holder being a giant pain as an AD and making a bunch of donors unhappy ...

Am I the only one that doesn't see Dusty May as a sure thing? He's likely to end up at Louisville or tOSU and I can honestly see him not meeting expectations at either one.

I don't know what he'll do, I just think its probably 50/50 what kind of results he gets over the next 10 years.

may did build that program from nothing, but not sold either after a disappointing follow so far to their final four run. looking forward to watching them play unt tonight. cj was ballin last night.

Back