'24 Coaching Carousel Thread

That's worse than having your agent leak "interest" in DePaul to leverage more NIL and an arena.

Pretty brazen by Cal and fell back in his face. But as his goodbye video said, change is probably good for both parties at this point.

Can't wait to see him do the pig sooey chant. That's when you know for sure he is a weasel sellout. LOL.

Cal has been underachieving at Kentucky for 7-8 years. He’s 65 and his best days are behind him. This worked out well for Kentucky, as they get to move on instead of overpaying an aging coach that’s coasting for the next decade.

Do not believe this is over, despite the NJ.com report Scott Drew is Kentucky's main target and the two sides are in talks. Mitch Barnhart and Drew have had positive discussions, sure, but it's my understanding this has nothing to do with the school's interest and pursuit of Dan Hurley.

I've been told Drew is seriously interested and would very likely accept, but there is an obvious donor push with Hurley and they want due diligence done there, as well. With the $33M buyout no longer in the picture, there's an understanding you have to give it a shot with the financial flexibility. And I don't think the hire extends beyond those two, despite Billy Donovan's anticipated interest through timing hurdles.

Have heard UConn is sweating the Kentucky talk with Hurley a bit and the leak (and its origin) aligns with that buzz. They don't want a contract in his hands because they know the money and situation will be hard for him to pass up if it gets to that point, no matter how great he has it in Storrs. They are rooting for this to end quickly with Drew named head coach so they can offer their own lucrative (relatively speaking) extension and begin the push for a three-peat.

Another thing to keep in mind: the one downside of Hurley's passion and drive to own the sport is that it's not limited to just college basketball. He wants to eventually land in the NBA and there is a very real chance you hire him for some unbelievable highs for two or three years before he becomes the next head coach of the New York Knicks. Barnhart doesn't want another high-profile search and hire before he retires and it's entirely possible he'd have to do that with Hurley. Drew is someone you can bet on being here for the long haul with his own major highs.

In short, Barnhart wants Drew, boosters want Hurley, but would also be very comfortable investing in Drew.

This is a win-win for Kentucky. Two outstanding options with championship pedigree, both home runs.

My money is on Drew.

Jack Pilgram just updated

I don’t see Donovan really being the pick. Doesn’t seem like a coach that would want to play the portal and NIL game.

I don’t see Donovan really being the pick. Doesn’t seem like a coach that would want to play the portal and NIL game.
He may take an NBA Exec position over going back to college. In interviews in OKC he pretty much said he didn't like coaching in college shortly after he left. I can't imagine him liking it when you have to recruit players constantly to stay at your program like it is now.

If Drew does leave, I'd guess on Baylor going after McCasland first. But can they really bully Tech? Tech has some major money dudes.

Back