Dysfunction: Boren & Big-12 Expansion

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Two long articles from Sports Illustrated (Campus Rush)

As Big 12 expansion drags on with no clear outcome, only one constant remains: the league's dysfunction
by Pete Thamel (16 September 2016)

http://www.campusrush.com/big-12-ex...cinnati-byu-uconn-david-boren-2006279271.html

Big 12 expansion is still muddled, but Oklahoma's trend to status quo could render process an exercise in futility
by Pete Thamel (27 September 2016)

http://www.campusrush.com/big-12-ex...s-texas-longhorns-david-boren-2018459914.html

Boren's public comments on Sept. 14 that expansion is "not a sure thing" are perceived around the league as the manifestation of his reversal on the issue. They also reinforced the notion that Boren's inability to resist commenting publicly is further damaging the league. Boren has now gone full flip-flop from his "psychologically disadvantaged" comments 18 months ago, and it has drummed up a distinct wave of anger around the league. As one Big 12 source said this weekend: "Let's talk about the strength of the league instead of talking about being at a psychological disadvantage. We're psychologically insecure. That's what we are. And for no reason."

Boren emerged as a divisive figure during the last round of realignment back in 2011. He has an obvious affinity for microphones and headlines, epitomized by the night in 2011 when he held a dueling press conference with Missouri's chancellor. (And in the process, Boren distributed incorrect information to the media.)

Around the Big 12 these days, Boren reversing course and issuing damaging public comments feels like déjà vu all over again. "It was almost like he was trying to get his name in the paper," said a source close to Big 12 realignment. "It was like he was trying to run for election. We all shook our heads—What the hell is he doing?"

That's a seamless transition to attempting to answer the questions hanging over the Big 12 with at least three weeks remaining in the realignment exploration process. With less than a month until the presidents meet on Oct. 17 to provide some direction on all this, we'll ask again: What the heck is the Big 12 doing?

Why did Boren speak publicly and reinforce the stereotypes of the Big 12's vulnerability and dysfunction?

Fittingly, it appears Boren's damaging comments to the Big 12 came in part because he has trouble in his own backyard. Oklahoma's Board of Regents is not in favor of Big 12 expansion, and it appears to be putting an increasing amount of pressure on Boren to convey that message. This could seriously gum up the league's expansion plans.

With eight of 10 votes needed to add schools, there's an increasing expectation that Oklahoma won't be voting in favor of expansion. Mathematically, that could make matters tricky going forward. "David is David," said another source. "He was a governor and a senator and has a political side to him. I'm certain he's feeling a lot of pressure from his board."

How would the press conference go if the Big 12 decided not to expand?

It would be a comic tragedy fitting of the self-induced problems the league has invited the past 18 months. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby can only do what his presidents want. But with the Big 12's reputation in such tatters, going through a fruitless three-month process would only invite more ridicule for the league and perpetuate the perception that it's weak and vulnerable.

Last edited:
i think boren sees the writing on the wall and wants OU out of the big 12. therefore he doesn't want to expand and keep the conference alive

Trash talking T. Boone ...

OSU booster T. Boone Pickens suggests David Boren should retire
http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklah...cle_374db494-8515-11e6-88e2-279fd961a005.html

In an interview with the Austin American-Statesman, Oklahoma State benefactor T. Boone Pickens, 88, said "maybe it's time for David Boren to retire."

“I’ve known David forever. He likes to talk. He gets a little bit confused sometimes," Pickens added.

Pickens' comments were in response to reports that Boren, 75, and OU had cooled on the idea of Big 12 expansion. However, in a statement obtained by The Daily on Tuesday, Oklahoma has not formally taken a stance.

Original Article in Austin American-Statesman
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/bohls-osus-pickens-disses-boren-gundy-formula-1-is/nsgN8/

Big 12 will cut down to 8 teams before even thinking about expanding.

i think boren sees the writing on the wall and wants OU out of the big 12. therefore he doesn't want to expand and keep the conference alive
Expansion probably ends the conference quicker now. None of the remaining teams really bring much outside of maybe population bases.

Expansion probably ends the conference quicker now. None of the remaining teams really bring much outside of maybe population bases.

I figure that with expansion, every team would have to sign an extension of the grant of rights or whatever it is called

Boren has much bigger problems than a few contradicting statements in the media regarding expansion. We'll see if he gets to leave the OU presidency on his own terms. This is a very tumultuous time for OUr university, and smart, prudent decisions on a bunch of fronts need to be made.

Boren has much bigger problems than a few contradicting statements in the media regarding expansion. We'll see if he gets to leave the OU presidency on his own terms. This is a very tumultuous time for OUr university, and smart, prudent decisions on a bunch of fronts need to be made.

???

Interesting. If you can provide any insight on these university problems on many fronts, it would be appreciated.

This is far too coachtalk-ish of me to be this cloak and dagger, it's just that you get exposed to a bunch of stuff when you live in Norman and spend lots of time around people who work at the University. It's not like it's intelligence gathered from articles and columns. More of conversations and little windows you get to peek through from time to time.

Getting our conference destination settled is probably the biggest fork in OUr University's road since Lloyd Noble and the regents went all in on football following World War II. We are in this mess because Boren put his politician hat back on and cast his lot with O-State when the conference was set to implode a few years ago. Rising costs and hiring freezes have further eroded his popularity, and it will be interesting to see if the swirling winds keep him in or move him out.

This is far too coachtalk-ish of me to be this cloak and dagger, it's just that you get exposed to a bunch of stuff when you live in Norman and spend lots of time around people who work at the University. It's not like it's intelligence gathered from articles and columns. More of conversations and little windows you get to peek through from time to time.

Getting our conference destination settled is probably the biggest fork in OUr University's road since Lloyd Noble and the regents went all in on football following World War II. We are in this mess because Boren put his politician hat back on and cast his lot with O-State when the conference was set to implode a few years ago. Rising costs and hiring freezes have further eroded his popularity, and it will be interesting to see if the swirling winds keep him in or move him out.

No offense, but if that is all you got....

Go to any cooperation and the majority of the employees will not speak highly of their bosses.

I understand at the time why Boren wanted to stay in the big 12. I can't fault him for it. But he isn't going to be forced to resign b/c of football

No offense, but if that is all you got....

Go to any cooperation and the majority of the employees will not speak highly of their bosses.

I understand at the time why Boren wanted to stay in the big 12. I can't fault him for it. But he isn't going to be forced to resign b/c of football

Yeah! Things were fluid and changed. Networks didn't like any of expansion candidates and offered Big 12 additional monies in exchange for not expanding which would have cost a lot more money based on contract and non-negotiable. So, I think negotiations have been going on over summer between networks and conference and they are getting closer to consensus.

None taken! I've got plenty more, I'm just not going to drop names and titles on an OU Basketball message board.

:eek:ldwt356:

Not sure what you are speaking of. Just speculating. I have heard complaints from people in Norman connected in some way to the university, who call it Boren U. They are not saying it in a positive way. Yes, he had many connections and brought in money to the university, still there were people who did not like how he handled and maybe meddled in personnel decisions.

I would guess with the economy the way it is, with oil and gas being down and many not expecting it to ever be as strong as it has been, with a good possibility that it will be a minor industry at most in 30 years; that the university's donations are not going to be so prolific. He is also connected with Harold Hamm and Continental Resources both by donations by Hamm to the university and by being on the board of CR. In 2013, he received $272,700 in cash and stock for his service. So he has been involved in trying to quash the evidence that fracking is contributing to Oklahoma's earthquakes. So, how much of this is a PROBLEM for Boren, I have no clue.
How much, if any of this, relates to what you stated, again I have no clue.
These are just issues which I see which could possibly relate to problems Boren may be having. They are things I have wondered about. My first paragraph, I believe reflects badly on Boren to me but doubt that it has been significant in anyway to obstruct what he wants to do, cause him trouble re his position with the university or the state.

So basically, I have wondered about the issues in the second paragraph and how they might affect Boren and the university. Again, I have no inside knowledge regarding if these may relate to problems to which you speak or if he even has problems; I just believe his being in bed with Hamm and Hamm really pushing fracking and Boren and Hamm attempting to suppress
data re fracking and earthquakes SHOULD hurt Boren. Regarding this suppression, I am skeptical of what I read without finding more than one source but on this I am not skeptical and have only read one source related to Boren, but am sure I could find more.

Understand your not wanting to name names. Curious if my own issues with Boren are in anyway connected to what you know. Know you may not want to say anymore, but if you feel comfortable would appreciate feedback.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I had issues with Boren when he was a senator and with his endorsement of a young man he endorsed for the state legislature. So, though I neither like NOR DISLIKE Boren, my take may be colored and may be too ready to find fault. Though feel completely justified with the fracking issue.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are speaking of. Just speculating. I have heard complaints from people in Norman connected in some way to the university, who call it Boren U. They are not saying it in a positive way. Yes, he had many connections and brought in money to the university, still there were people who did not like how he handled and maybe meddled in personnel decisions.

I would guess with the economy the way it is, with oil and gas being down and many not expecting it to ever be as strong as it has been, with a good possibility that it will be a minor industry at most in 30 years; that the university's donations are not going to be so prolific. He is also connected with Harold Hamm and Continental Resources both by donations by Hamm to the university and by being on the board of CR. In 2013, he received $272,700 in cash and stock for his service. So he has been involved in trying to quash the evidence that fracking is contributing to Oklahoma's earthquakes. So, how much of this is a PROBLEM for Boren, I have no clue.
How much, if any of this, relates to what you stated, again I have no clue.
These are just issues which I see which could possibly relate to problems Boren may be having. They are things I have wondered about. My first paragraph, I believe reflects badly on Boren to me but doubt that it has been significant in anyway to obstruct what he wants to do, cause him trouble re his position with the university or the state.

So basically, I have wondered about the issues in the second paragraph and how they might affect Boren and the university. Again, I have no inside knowledge regarding if these may relate to problems to which you speak or if he even has problems; I just believe his being in bed with Hamm and Hamm really pushing fracking and Boren and Hamm attempting to suppress
data re fracking and earthquakes SHOULD hurt Boren. Regarding this suppression, I am skeptical of what I read without finding more than one source but on this I am not skeptical and have only read one source related to Boren, but am sure I could find more.

Understand your not wanting to name names. Curious if my own issues with Boren are in anyway connected to what you know. Know you may not want to say anymore, but if you feel comfortable would appreciate feedback.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I had issues with Boren when he was a senator and with his endorsement of a young man he endorsed for the state legislature. So, though I neither like NOR DISLIKE Boren, my take may be colored and may be too ready to find fault. Though feel completely justified with the fracking issue.
lol.

For starters, let's just get this out of the way....fracking does not cause earthquakes in oklahoma. It just doesn't. That was the thinking years ago. Its pretty settled that it is disposal wells

And even if it was fracking, hypothetically, saying that fracking causing earthquakes should hurt Boren as the president of OU is comical. If that was the case, we would have nobody left in the state that could serve any public capacity...almost everyone has a tie to oil and gas in the state.

lol.

For starters, let's just get this out of the way....fracking does not cause earthquakes in oklahoma. It just doesn't. That was the thinking years ago. Its pretty settled that it is disposal wells

And even if it was fracking, hypothetically, saying that fracking causing earthquakes should hurt Boren as the president of OU is comical. If that was the case, we would have nobody left in the state that could serve any public capacity...almost everyone has a tie to oil and gas in the state.

First, yes you are correct it is the disposal wells BUT without fracking there would be no fracking wastewater of which to dispose. The increased horizontal fracking has coincided with the increased size and number of earthquakes in Oklahoma. I see I should not have made such a general statement. My bad.

Did not say fracking would hurt Boren. Actually did not say anything would just that his action, which I address in my quote, should. And I could make an argument for it but I do not want to get into
an argument with you or anyone else and I believe that might be the result. It isn't that important. Discussing opposing views are difficult on the internet. They often turn to hostility. SO here is the QUOTE:
I just believe his being in bed with Hamm and Hamm really pushing fracking and Boren and Hamm attempting to suppress
data re fracking and earthquakes SHOULD hurt Boren.
They tried to keep a state seismologist from talking about his findings that linked fracking wastewater to the increased earthquakes.

Last edited:
Back