**********OU-Central Oklahoma Game Thread**********

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From SoonerSports.com's pregame notes:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2012-13/release/release_20121106aaa.pdf

WEDNESDAY’S GAME BASICS
The Sooners play their second of two preseason exhibition games when they host Central Oklahoma on Wednesday at 7 p.m. CT. Part of OU’s inaugural Field House Series, the game will be played at McCasland Field House in the middle of campus. OU, in its second season under head coach Lon Kruger, is coming off an 83-66 win over Washburn on Friday at Lloyd Noble Center.

NCAA Division II UCO is playing its first exhibition game after going 15-11 last season. The Bronchos are under the direction of head coach Terry Evans, who starred four years for the Sooners and is OU’s career leader in 3-pointers and assists.

Wednesday’s contest will air on the Sooner Radio Network (KOKC 1520 AM in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa) with Toby Rowland and Mike Houck announcing. The game will be televised by Sooner Sports TV (FS Oklahoma and FOX College Sports Atlantic) with Chad McKee and Billy Tubbs calling the action. A webcast replay will be offered for free on SoonerSports.tv.

PREVIEWING CENTRAL OKLAHOMA
Located in Edmond, Okla., NCAA Division II member Central Oklahoma is a school of 17,110 students in its first year of competition in the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association. UCO finished 15-11 overall last season an an independent and went 30-4 and won the Lone Star Conference title the year before.

The Bronchos were picked to finish seventh out of 15 teams in the MIAA preseason coaches’ poll and tabbed ninth in the media version. UCO has won 119 games while making four NCAA Division II national tournament appearances over the past five years. It advanced to the Elite Eight in 2008 and to the Sweet 16 in 2011.

UCO returns two starters from last season in senior forwards Spencer Smith and Josh Davis. Smith, who is 6-6 and 220 pounds, averaged 8.7 points and 3.1 rebounds in 20.6 minutes a game. The 6-5, 250-pound Davis averaged 5.8 points and 3.6 boards in 17.5 minutes an outing.

The Bronchos are coached by former OU point guard Terry Evans, who starred for the Sooners from the 1989-90 through 1992-93 seasons. Evans holds school records for assists (651) and 3-point field goals (259), and ranks 14th in program history with 1,361 points. He also served as OU’s director of basketball operations during the 2001-02 season when the Sooners finished 31-5 and advanced to the NCAA Final Four. He is in his 11th year as UCO’s head coach and owns a 208-90 (.698) record.

OU-UCO HISTORY
Wednesday’s game will mark the third between OU and UCO. The Sooners won a 74-57 regular season meeting Dec. 22, 1973,at the OU Field House and claimed a 95-71 exhibition win Nov. 13, 2004, inside Lloyd Noble Center.

KRUGER AT McCASLAND FIELD HOUSE
OU head coach Lon Kruger played in two games inside McCasland Field House as a Kansas State guard in the 1970s. In 1972, he led K-State to an 80-71 win by recording a team-high 18 points and nine rebounds, and went on to be named Big Eight Sophomore of the Year. Two years later in Norman, Kruger contributed 12 points and six boards, but the Sooners pulled out a 65-63 win. Kruger, who was the 1973 and ’74 Big Eight Player of the Year, missed the 1973 contest inside the Field House due to injury (OU won 81-69).

EXHIBITING SUCCESS
Oklahoma has compiled a 46-2 exhibition record over the last 24 years. The last time OU lost an exhibition game was in November 2003 (89-82 to Athletes First).

UP NEXT
The Sooners open the regular season Sunday at 2 p.m. CT when they host ULM (Louisiana-Monroe) at Lloyd Noble Center. The game will be televised by Sooner Sports TV (FOX Sports Southwest and FOX College Sports Central).

I really, really hope Amath can hit those shots consistently. What a weapon if so. I love these freshman so much; great drive to draw the foul for Jelon, and Hield's shot is so smooth.

Anyone care to breakdown why Cam struggles so much with his jumper?

Anyone care to breakdown why Cam struggles so much with his jumper?

Different things at different times.

Tonight, he is rushed, and hasn't had a good base. He isn't on balance when he rises up, which causes his shot to be off target.

Good point by Billy; been a definite difference in output between the 1st and 2nd groups today.

Good defensive effort there. Thought that was a charge.

I'd be good with no more offensive rebounds given up. Coach will have to get that ironed out if possible.

Solid first half for Neal. Not sure if he can do that with any consistency against quality competition, but he's playing well tonight.

Our best offensive lineup would be Hornbeak, Pledger, Hield, Osby, M'Baye. Would love to see that, but Hield is still a little out of control at times, and is a bit of a gunner. He'll be good off the bench for now.

Rebounding still an issue.

I like Hield's energy. Pretty excited about this team.

I haven't seen the stat sheet yet but I think we need to still do better on the boards and we have to get more from our inside guys. We don't seem to have that part of our offense going yet.

The 5 starters created most of the margin tonight. Buddy was about the only offensive threat with the second bunch until Neal got his 10 late. Good to see Tyler hit those jumpers from the high post. He still needs to finish better inside.

I thought Cousins played well in spite of not scoring a lot. I'm pretty confident that he will score when they give him his shot. Tonight he was kicking off to the open men.

I don't see much chance of a change in the starting lineup. I think Buddy will be early off the bench and get starter minutes.

Still look like we are finding our idenity. When we get to an effective inside game as well as an outside game we will be there.

Pressure defense looked better tonight. Still gave up some easy baskets but that will happen with presure defense. We also did better with the help defense in the half court. D still a work in progress.

Opening game is going to be more of an indicator of how good we will be.

Was most impressed by hornbeaks all around performance tonight. Also liked what I saw from m'baye and hield. Hield could average 18+ by his junior year on a consistent tournament team.

My thoughts on the game.....

Disclaimer 1: UCO is not a very good basketball team. They were missing a couple of their better players, so it was really hard to gauge things, b/c they were simply not very good.

Disclaimer 2: My thoughts below are not all inclusive. There are both positive and negative things about both returning players and newcomers that I will leave out. I can't cover it all.

- I have to say it again, Hield is going to be an absolute stud on offense one day. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't make at least 2nd Team All Big 12 during his junior or senior year. He can score it in a variety of ways, plays good D, and can rebound a bit for a guard. VERY excited about his future.

- Still didn't rebound the ball all that well tonight. Seems like we aren't even trying to block out, and our bigs are standing flat-footed more often then not. We aren't a big, strong team. We need those guys to rebound with energy and athleticism, and to do it fundamentally correct, as in, blocking out. I have a feeling this will be a thorn in our side all season.

- I mentioned this above, but a very solid game for Neal. He may be able to help us out a bit more than I had thought.

- Cam. A lot of posters have said they think Cam is improved. I don't see it. I don't really care what he looks like in practice. Some guys just practice better than they play. In the two exhibition games, I just haven't been that impressed. He looks like an athlete with very little actual basketball-skill. I know that sounds harsh, but at this point, especially offensively, I'd rather play Pledger and all three freshmen over him. He shows flashes at times, but he just has a really hard time playing within the flow of the game.

- While Arent is a bit better than last year, he'll still be a major liability against any kind of quality competition.

- I'd be pretty shocked to not see the 5 that have started the last two games start on Sunday. Those guys appear to be the starters right now. They are playing the best ball, with Hield also in the mix. I like him coming off the bench for now though.

- Not sure what to make of M'Baye yet either. He is going to have some really good plays in transition, but in the half court, he is still struggling a bit. Definitely not a 1st round pick this year, I wouldn't think. Needs to play "tougher". Finally turned it all a bit about midway through the 2nd half, and picked up some blocked shots, and got a dunk in transition. I think that is our only dunk in either game so far?

- Hornbeak had a solid game. He has a really good grasp of shot selection within the offense. Probably the best of the three freshmen in that regards.

- Cousins played a little more under control tonight. Didn't shoot it as well, but that is okay. Really need him to focus on just being a pg this year. Push the ball, get us into our sets, and take the open shots. I think he can do that.

- Team defense still needs some work. Individual defense is okay, but the team defense is still lacking at times. Guys just having a hard time walking that line of sticking with their man, and giving help. It's not an easy thing to do. Kelvin spoiled us (or me, at least) because his teams almost always excelled at that.

Last edited:
I understand that Cam shot wasn't falling but I thought he had a really good all around game off the bench. It seems like posters only focus on his offensive game and ignore what he does defensively and rebounding. OU has enough guys who can put the ball in the basket so hopefully Cam can concentrate on defense and rebounding.

Back