>>>>>OU vs. Texas Gameday Thread<<<<<

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211427816

MONDAY'S GAME BASICS
Coming off its first stretch of back-to-back overtime games since 1978, Oklahoma (8-10, 2-5 Big 12) turns around quickly for a Big Monday matchup with rival Texas (1-6, 7-12) at the Erwin Center in Austin. The hardwood edition of the Red River Showdown features the two youngest teams in the Big 12. The Sooners and Longhorns are the league’s top two teams in freshmen scoring, underclassmen scoring, minutes played by freshmen and minutes played by underclassmen in Big 12 play. The Longhorns are seeing 58.0 points per game in conference competition from freshmen and sophomores while the Sooners are boasting 49.3.

ON THE AIR
Monday’s contest tips off at 8 p.m. CT and air on the Sooner Radio Network (KRXO 107.7 FM “The Franchise” in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa) with Toby Rowland and Kevin Henry announcing. The game will be televised nationally on ESPN with Bob Wischusen, Fran Fraschilla and Holly Rowe calling the action.

FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
• Since returning to the starting lineup on Jan. 14, senior guard Jordan Woodard has helped lead the Sooners to a 2-1 record with wins over Texas Tech and No. 7 West Virginia while falling in a double-overtime loss to Iowa State. In all three games, Woodard has scored 18 points or more after halftime, including the game-winning bucket against the Moutaineers with 2.2 seconds remaining in overtime. Woodard has scored over 20 points in each of his last five starts and the Sooners boast an 8-5 record this season with the senior guard in the starting five. The senior is second in the Big 12’s scoring title race with 17.9 points per game. Kansas guard Frank Mason (20.1 points per game) is the only Big 12 player with a higher scoring average.

• Freshman guard Kameron McGusty continues to impress through the start of Big 12 play. McGusty has scored at least nine points in every Big 12 game, including double figures in the past six outings. His January resume includes a career-high 20 points against Kansas State (Jan. 7), 19 points versus Iowa State (Jan. 21) and a 17-point performance at West Virginia (Jan. 18). McGusty is averaging 14.1 points per game during league play - the third highest scoring average among Big 12 freshman.

• Fellow freshman Kristian Doolittle enters Monday’s game coming off of his first career double-double. Doolittle posted 15 points and 15 rebounds, the first 15-15 game by a Sooner since Ryan Spangler in 2014. Doolittle’s 7.3 rebounds per game in Big 12 play is seventh in the league and second among Big 12 freshmen.

• Woodard enters Monday with 1,399 career points. With a single point, the guard will become just the 14th Sooner to score 1,400 points in a career at Oklahoma. Woodard is currently 248 points shy of finishing his career as top-10 scorer in program history. He already ranks in the top 10 of five statistical categories in the OU record book (free throws, free throw percentage, assists, steals, minutes played).

•Junior forward Khadeem Lattin is having another stellar season on the defensive end in 2016-17, registering 39 blocks in 18 games. His 2.2 blocks per game ranks third in the Big 12 while his 2.6 rejections per game in conference play ranks second in the league. The big man has produced five games of four or more blocked shots this season, including twice in the past four games. He’s also tallied 26 steals this season, compared to his total of 32 in 36 games last season. He ranks 12th in the conference in steals per game with 1.4.

SERIES HISTORY
• The Sooners own an all-time record of 53-36 against the Longhorns while Texas holds a 21-17 advantage in games in Austin.

• Oklahoma is 6-4 against Texas under Lon Kruger and has won six of the last eight meetings. OU is 2-3 in Austin during the Kruger era.

• OU’s most recent win over the Horns came on Feb. 8, 2016 when Buddy Hield it a game-winning 3-pointer with 1.3 seconds remaining to give the Sooners a 63-60 victory. Texas snapped a five-game losing streak to the Sooners with a 76-63 win in Austin in the series’ most recent meeting on Feb. 27, 2016.

Big game. Winnable game. The team needs this after losing that heartbreaker Saturday. One of the "things to know" is that Tevin Mack, UT's leading scorer, is suspended indefinitely. I'm guessing he'll still be suspended tonight. Another "thing to know" is that Jarrett Allen is really good. I think we can defend him, however, and feel like we'll pull this one out.

Worried the team will be gassed. Road OT win in Morgantown Wednesday, double OT loss Saturday and short turn around for a Monday game in Austin. Think this is winnable if guys legs aren't tired. I feel like that contributed to the loss Saturday toward the end.

Re: >>>>>OU vs. Texas Pregame Thread<<<<<

84-76 win. Bounce back

Let's get this one. I expect a bounce back game from Jordan Woodard in the rivalry game.

Maybe we can pull it out tonight, if not at least keep it close.

love watching Duke lose.

I feel like aside from the midrange jumper, Lattin has regressed in every single facet of the game of basketball this year.

love watching Duke lose.

Isn't that three losses since Capel took over for Coach K? If he's auditioning for the job when K retires, he's not off to a good start.

Early on, we can't handle them inside. Not a good sign.

way to go Capel!

he's done something that Duke hasn't done for more than 20 years!!!

If and when we settle down in this game, we should be ok. Besides Allen, no one really scares me on Texas.

Happy to only be down 4. Sloppy so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid we gonna get killed tonight..unless something changes

Back